Ross 16, White 29

PORTLAND United's six-game unbeaten run was ended by Bashley as they lost 2-0 at Grove Corner in the Sydenhams Wessex Premier Division.

A strong first half from Bashley sealed the points with a penalty from Lewis Ross and a shot from the edge of the box that crept inside the post from Harrison White.

Portland made three changes to the side that drew 0-0 last time out to Bemerton Heath Harlequins as Dan Payne, Shane Evans and Billy Mitchell came in for Sam Buckler, who was suspended, and Alex Halloran and Sean Zima who were unavailable.

The game was sponsored by John and Sue Thorner, while the man of the match, match ball and programme were sponsored by Portland United manager Simon Browne’s father and three uncles in memory of another uncle who was a big Portland United fan.

Bashley launched the first attack as Harry McGrath got the ball to Ross, who crossed in but Ryan McKechnie cleared it away.

Portland then launched an attack as Payne passed down the left hand side to Evans, who passed the ball to Tom Bearwish who carried on running down the wing but his cross was over hit.

Portland then went close as an Ash Smith ball to Mitchell from the right led to a shot from Bearwish inside the box, prompting a scramble on the edge of the box as Portland tried to find an opening.

The game was briefly stopped in the fifth minute as Portland captain Ross Doidge went down after a collision.

Smith nearly scored an own goal soon after as his defensive header from a Kabba Jack cross into the box flew just wide of a post.

Whiteley tried his luck with an ambitious free-kick from 35 yards out but his attempted chipped effort went over the bar.

Whiteley then went close as a run into the box from a one-two with Ross forced Portland keeper Sean Lillington into a superb save.

From the resulting corner, a foul on Sam Jackson from Shaun Bessant in the box led to Ross tucking away a penalty in the 16th minute as Bashley took the lead.

Portland nearly levelled shortly after as Alex Godfrey forced keeper Mike Edgar into a good save.

A clever move involving Bessant, Smith and Bearwish led to the latter putting the ball just too far ahead of Smith as it went out for a goal-kick.

In the 29th minute, White extended Bashley’s lead with a shot from the edge of the box that found the corner of the net.

Portland tried to respond with a free-kick from 40 yards out which Evans put into the box which evaded everyone and went out for a goal-kick.

Whiteley tried an effort from 20 yards out but it sailed harmlessly over the bar as the first half wound to a close.

The second half began with Portland now having the wind in their favour and they made it show as they spent the opening minutes on the attack, with the best result a fingertip save from Edgar after a McKechnie shot from the edge of the box.

A Whiteley free-kick from 35 yards out saw Bashley nearly extend their lead with a Ross header which went over from inside the box.

Bearwish went close to getting a goal back but his shot from the edge of the box crept past the wrong side of a post.

A run into the box from Jack saw the home defence well marshalled by Sharpe and Bessant as they cleared.

Portland improved in the second half but their attacking efforts could not find a goal despite keeping Edgar busy with shots near the edge of the box from Clarke and Bearwish.

A late shot from Godfrey forced Edgar into another good save low to his left.

Moments later, Godfrey again prompted a save as he fired in an awkward swerving shot that Edgar did well to push away.

Evans and Sharpe went close with two headed efforts from two consecutive corners that were cleared from the goal-line as Portland’s late rally saw them go close to reducing the deficit.

Corners were proving fruitful late on as Butcher put the ball over the Bashley bar from 10 yards out.

From another corner, Sharpe hit the bar eight yards out with a deflected strike as Portland couldn’t find a way through as the match ended 2-0.

The Blues are next in action when they face Bournemouth FC away next Saturday.

Portland United: Lillington, Smith, Payne, Bessant, Butcher, Doidge (Sharpe 46), Evans, McKechnie, Bearwish, Godfrey, Mitchell (Clarke 55). Subs not used: Moore

Bashley: Edgar, McGrath, Aimson, Strickland (Slade 75), Thompson, Morris, Jackson, White, Jack, Whiteley, Ross. Subs not used: Rolls, Coombes.

Attendance: 163

Referee: Thomas Copping