ANDY Harris has called for the supporter who ran on to the Wessex Stadium pitch at the end of Weymouth's defeat to Weston-super-Mare to be banned from football matches.

The Terras’ caretaker player-manager, who was one of the closest to the incident when a fan ran on to the pitch and attacked Weston captain Mike Green, described the incident as “idiotic” and “unforgiveable”.

And Harris was deeply saddened by the unsavoury post-match scenes, which followed his side’s 2-1 loss to Weston-super-Mare.

“There had been a little bit of verbal beforehand but the fan has taken it upon himself to clamber over the wall and get in the pitch, which is completely out of order,” said Harris.

“There is always a bit of banter between supporters and players but to cross that white line is shocking really.

“In this day and age you don’t know what might happen and it’s not that important that you might be attacked while you are trying to do your job.

“In no way or form can I condone what happened.

“The safety of players has to be the foremost important thing and I can’t express how idiotic it is for someone to do that.

“I don’t know if they think that it is helping the football club by showing that they care but it’s completely unforgivable.

“You have to look at banning people from football matches. If they can’t control their emotions then you can’t put players in that situation.

“Sometimes tempers flare but at the end of the day it is a game and you shouldn’t be getting punched round the ear for playing a game.”

Before the afternoon’s major talking point, a football match had broken out with substitute Tom Rich-ardson firing Weymouth into the lead with his first touch before Jermaine Clarke’s late double turned the game on its head.

Clarke would be sent off post-match following his heroics that saw him net two scrappy goals in the dying stages of the match, denying the Terras the chance to move off the bottom of the table for just the second time in seven months.

“I’m really devastated, more so than any other week,” said Harris.

“We spoke beforehand about this being a real opportunity to go out and get a positive result against a team in a similar position to us and for 85 minutes we were excellent.

“We pressed, we harried and we created opportunities on the back end of last week when we looked like we might pose a threat going forward.

“We could have been 2-0 up in the first 15 or 20 minutes but it didn’t fall for us.

“However, we found ourselves a goal in front but we just couldn’t hold on. I’m disappointed because it’s two second phase set-pieces.

“The lads have run their socks off but as a manager I’m going to be demanding and I look at that and it’s avoidable.

“Maybe only two or three of our players are getting paid which shows we are not in an ideal situation.”

Despite the defeat, Harris was delighted with the impact made by substitute Richardson.

He said: “Carl Foster had worked hard but I know Tom can get hold of the ball and felt we need someone who could relieve some pressure.

“But it was a fantastic ball in from Radders and Tom showed great composure and got a good contact on it.”

Harris added: “What we have got to look at as a football club is what we can get out of next year and what lessons can be learned.”

The Terras’ next lesson will be at Havant & Waterlooville this afternoon (3pm).