Coroner rules woman took drugs overdose at Weymouth home

First published in News

A WOMAN found dead in the bath at her Weymouth home took an accidental drugs overdose, a coroner has ruled.

The body of former Land Registry officer Shelagh Mary Weir was discovered by her son on June 7 at her home in Cleves Close.

Pathologist Dr Basil Purdue found that the cause of death was mixed drug intoxication after a toxicology examination revealed the presence of morphine and temazepam in Mrs Weir’s system.

An inquest at County Hall in Dorchester was told that the 40-year-old had been prescribed morphine and temazepam and had a history of controlled drug abuse.

In a statement read at the inquest PC Lee Turner said he was called to the address at around 8pm and informed that a woman had been found dead in the bath.

He said he was informed by friends and relatives at the home that she had been discovered by her son.

PC Turner said at the scene he found a bag containing powder that later tested positive for amphetamines, and a bottle of painkilling medication.

Deputy coroner for West Dorset Alan Horne said: “There is no evidence I have heard today that Shelagh deliberately took and overdose and I’m satisfied this was an unintended consequence of her actions that day.”

Mr Horne recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Mrs Weir was the partner of Weymouth construction worker Neil Johnston who died suddenly last New Year’s Eve at the age of 39 after his family said an ambulance crew refused to take him to hospital.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree