A body has been discovered in the burnt-out wreckage of a caravan.

It is believed the victim, who has not yet been identified, died after the caravan burst into flames.

Emergency services rushed to Martleaves Farm, Ryemead Lane, Weymouth, on Monday night.

Residents rushed to the scene after hearing a loud bang and seeing huge flames and the flashing lights of the emergency services at around 10pm.

Police officers, fire crews and forensic officers worked at the scene into the early hours and throughout Tuesday morning.

An investigation into the cause of the fire is underway.

It is not yet known whether the victim was a holidaymaker or was living permanently in the caravan.

Police blocked access to the field on the farm where the incident happened and access onto the site from Ryemead Lane.

Eyewitnesses said forensic officers were seen putting items into plastic bags throughout yesterday.

Edward Sanders, of South Road, said: “I saw loads of blue lights and huge flames, it was quite a shock.”

His neighbour Frank Rashliegh added he did not expect to see so much activity near to their homes.

Ryemead Lane resident Katie Jones said: “My husband ran outside to see what was going on after we heard a loud bang. We could see flames and lots of activity from the emergency services.”

A spokesman for Dorset Police said: “At 9.58pm on Monday we received a call from Dorset Fire and Rescue Service about a caravan fire along Ryemead Lane in Weymouth.

“Officers believe that a body has been located in the remains of the caravan.”

He added that the incident was being investigated as an unexplained death by CID West and Dorset Fire and Rescue Service.

Firefighters from Weymouth and Portland tackled the blaze which was under control by 10.45pm, but crews stayed on scene for some time afterwards.

A spokesman for Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said the service had received a call at 9.55pm.

He said: “We sent two crews from Weymouth and one from Portland.

“Crews used two main line hoses and four sets of breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire in a caravan.”

No one at the farm, a camping and caravan site, was available for comment after the tragedy.