THE family of a 91-year-old man who died in the Dorset County Hospital have voiced serious concerns about the way he was treated as a patient.

Relatives of Harold Trott claim the Weymouth pensioner suffered lapses in care before he died at the Dorchester hospital.

He was also sent home on one occasion with the wrong medication.

Mr Trott was admitted to hospital three times in a time period of three weeks and was diagnosed with pneumonia during his first stay.

Dorset Echo:

Son Mark Bowditch, 47, said: “We are completely heartbroken.

“He was an active family man and a great father. He was admitted to hospital for the third time in three weeks and he never came back out. When he went in he could walk but by the end he was so thin and could barely move.”

Relatives claim the situation did not improve despite them raising concerns.

Daughter Tammy Trott, 30, claims during one visit she arrived to find her father lying covered in his own faeces.

“She had to use wet wipes to clean him as he had his own faeces down his leg, foot, bottom and hand,” Mr Bowditch added.

The family also said they were shocked to find Mr Trott, who was registered blind and deaf, alone and on a commode with his head resting on the bed.

Mr Bowditch said: “We have no idea how long he had been left on the commode.

“My 12-year-old son Alan rushed to get help but the nurse told him that we had to ring the buzzer.

“During his whole stay the buzzer was out of sight and hard to reach. We couldn’t find it so I don’t know how my father was expected to.”

The family also claimed that food menu choices were not read out to Mr Trott. Mr Bowditch said: “My dad would have needed help with the menu.

“The staff said he was refusing to eat but they placed the menu at the end of his bed and did not read it to him.”

Despite his condition apparently continuing to deteriorate, relatives said they were surprised when they were told Mr Trott was ready to go home.

Mr Bowditch said: “Even when we got him home the first time, they had given him another patient’s medicine. “It is just one incident after another and just not good enough.”

Mr Trott, who lived in Weymouth for 82 years, served in the RAF for 25 years.

His family described him as a ‘loving’ and ‘happy go lucky’ man, who lived happily with his wife Eileen, 66.

Mr Trott later died on Monday February 11.

Having made a complaint about Mr Trott’s treatment, Mr Bowditch said he has been eagerly waiting for a response.

He added: “I just hope it doesn’t happen to anybody else.”

Apologies for family’s loss as hospital launches inquiry

AN INVESTIGATION is underway into the care of Harold Trott at Dorset County Hospital.

Director of nursing and quality Alison Tong, pictured, of Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, said: “We are very sorry for the family’s loss and appreciate they are going through a difficult time.

Dorset Echo:

“Mr Trott was an elderly gentleman at the end of his life and our staff did everything they could to make him as comfortable as possible.

“Our nurses and doctors kept the family informed every step of the way and discussed and agreed treatment with them.

“We are sorry to hear that the family feel their father’s care did not meet their expectations.

“We have not received an official complaint about Mr Trott’s care but his family have been in touch with us and we have investigated the concerns they have raised with us.

“Some of the issues discussed with the Echo have not been raised with us to date by the family but we can assure them that we will investigate any concerns thoroughly.”

She added: “It was unfortunate that Mr Trott was given the wrong medication – that shouldn’t have happened and we apologise for that.

“One of our nurses took the correct medication to Mr Trott’s home as soon as we were made aware of this mistake.”