When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Change of scene for Southill fireworks
12:00pm Saturday 12th October 2013 in News
Organiser Jon Gabb scrapped the showcase for the first time in 16 years in 2012 but is staging a revamped show this November.
The event on Saturday November 16 will still be called Southill Fireworks but will be more of an entertainment extravaganza with live music, stalls and displays.
He said that attracting 3,000 plus people to the Southill shopping complex became too much of a logistical and safety problem.
“With a lot of people in such a location, the risk factor goes up and so we felt that we should move it to a bigger area.
“Also we wanted to make it more of an entertainment event. There will not only be fireworks but so far we have also a confirmed live band called Blue Rock and more to come.”
The event also includes charity stalls by Southill Youth Club and Kids R Us as well as food and a refreshments tent.
There is an entry fee this year at £5 per adult but there is free entry for children under 12.
Proceeds of the entry fee will go to Budmouth Technology College and also to the Spark play park group for Southill.
Car parking will be limited at Budmouth but stewarded car parking will be available nearby at Bookers and the Land Registry. The doors open at 6pm and the event starts at 7pm.
The new venue will also give Mr Gabb more control of the site to keep out unlicensed traders.
He said: “Thanks go to Budmouth Technology College, the Land Registry, Bookers and our sponsors.
“We would still love more sponsors and also people to help out.”
People can visit the Southill Fireworks page on Facebook for more details and click ‘like’ to get automatic updates.
Comments are closed on this article.