Three taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisioning after power cut

Dorset Echo: Three taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisioning after power cut Three taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisioning after power cut

THREE people have been taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

A spokesman for Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said they received a call at 9.25am on Christmas Eve to an address on Dean Drove, Lytchett Matravers, and a fire engine and one hazardous materials and items unit were sent to the house.

They said that the house was affected by a power cut on Monday evening and an electric generator had been started up in a confined space.

One person was taken out of the property by firefighters, while two others were able to walk out, and all three were taken by Dorset Ambulance Service to hospital.

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service took the opportunity to remind residents that due to the recent and ongoing bout of bad weather, if a generator is used, it should be placed in an open room where air can circulate easily.

The spokesperson added that carbon monoxide poisoning can prove fatal.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:19am Fri 27 Dec 13

shy talk says...

“if a generator is used, it should be placed in an open room where air can circulate easily”

I don’t know what you think, is this good advice?
“if a generator is used, it should be placed in an open room where air can circulate easily” I don’t know what you think, is this good advice? shy talk

12:23pm Fri 27 Dec 13

angrydorseter says...

Indeed. I'd say 'outside' would be good advice!
Indeed. I'd say 'outside' would be good advice! angrydorseter

2:49pm Fri 27 Dec 13

IDONTKNOWIFITISTRRUE says...

How do you define an 'open' room?
I think that any room with a running generator should be open to the outside!
How do you define an 'open' room? I think that any room with a running generator should be open to the outside! IDONTKNOWIFITISTRRUE

5:58pm Fri 27 Dec 13

voiceof says...

That is terrible advice. A generator should always have the exhaust connected to the outdoors!
That is terrible advice. A generator should always have the exhaust connected to the outdoors! voiceof

5:59pm Fri 27 Dec 13

voiceof says...

And I'm amazed that someone would be stupid enough to start a generator indoors!!
And I'm amazed that someone would be stupid enough to start a generator indoors!! voiceof

1:49am Sun 29 Dec 13

saildorset says...

Fire Brigade state "should be placed in an open room" are they sure. Stupid Boy.
Fire Brigade state "should be placed in an open room" are they sure. Stupid Boy. saildorset

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree