When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Controversial Dorchester traffic scheme set for re-think
10:30am Friday 10th January 2014 in News
A CONTROVERSIAL traffic scheme for Dorchester could be scrapped.
Councillors will discuss what to do with the Dorchester Transport and Environment Plan (DTEP) at a county council Cabinet meeting on February 26.
Scrapping the scheme is one of three proposals recommended in a report that will be given to councillors.
The other two options are to go ahead but with amendments in line with consultation feedback, or a complete re-think of the system.
Tim Norman, chief engineer for highway improvements said if councillors decide on a re-think the new design will be ready for traffic and air quality testing in around September.
He added: “We can re-run the traffic model and air quality and see if the changes have made a difference.
“We are then either going to have a viable scheme within budget or one that may need more money, or there will be no viable scheme.
“We expect that report will be together in October and we will see either that there is a viable scheme and consult again or not.”
The council received 600 responses to consultation to the scheme which closed on December 20, Mr Norman added.
Dorset County Council unveiled the first traffic plans for DTEP in 2006 and since it announced it would be pressing ahead last year has been met with criticism.
The current plan includes making High West Street and part of High East Street one-way and changing the direction of flow on some roads in a bid to improve air quality and would cost £5m.
Local residents have said they are concerned the air pollution problem would just be moved to other areas of the town.
Comments are closed on this article.