Controversial Dorchester traffic scheme set for re-think

Controversial Dorchester traffic scheme set for re-think

Controversial Dorchester traffic scheme set for re-think

First published in News
Last updated

A CONTROVERSIAL traffic scheme for Dorchester could be scrapped.

Councillors will discuss what to do with the Dorchester Transport and Environment Plan (DTEP) at a county council Cabinet meeting on February 26.

Scrapping the scheme is one of three proposals recommended in a report that will be given to councillors.

The other two options are to go ahead but with amendments in line with consultation feedback, or a complete re-think of the system.

Tim Norman, chief engineer for highway improvements said if councillors decide on a re-think the new design will be ready for traffic and air quality testing in around September.

He added: “We can re-run the traffic model and air quality and see if the changes have made a difference.

“We are then either going to have a viable scheme within budget or one that may need more money, or there will be no viable scheme.

“We expect that report will be together in October and we will see either that there is a viable scheme and consult again or not.”

The council received 600 responses to consultation to the scheme which closed on December 20, Mr Norman added.

Dorset County Council unveiled the first traffic plans for DTEP in 2006 and since it announced it would be pressing ahead last year has been met with criticism.

The current plan includes making High West Street and part of High East Street one-way and changing the direction of flow on some roads in a bid to improve air quality and would cost £5m.

Local residents have said they are concerned the air pollution problem would just be moved to other areas of the town.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:13am Fri 10 Jan 14

smilealoft44 says...

The air polution in Dorchester is below the require target figure so lets not be hoodwinked by a few with there own agenda. Traffic flow through towns keeps them alive.
The air polution in Dorchester is below the require target figure so lets not be hoodwinked by a few with there own agenda. Traffic flow through towns keeps them alive. smilealoft44
  • Score: 2

12:53pm Fri 10 Jan 14

dontbuyit says...

Ah but there is no 'traffic flow'. It's stop/start all the way up the High St, frequently because of delivery trucks turning it into one lane. I live near Greys Bridge at the bottom of the High St and there are days when it can take 15 mins to get to the Top of Town roundabout, and that's not during rush hour either. Regs the pollution I've read several times that the level is above the EU regulation and that's what is driving this change. But you dispute that so do you have figures to back up your point?
Ah but there is no 'traffic flow'. It's stop/start all the way up the High St, frequently because of delivery trucks turning it into one lane. I live near Greys Bridge at the bottom of the High St and there are days when it can take 15 mins to get to the Top of Town roundabout, and that's not during rush hour either. Regs the pollution I've read several times that the level is above the EU regulation and that's what is driving this change. But you dispute that so do you have figures to back up your point? dontbuyit
  • Score: 1

3:28pm Fri 10 Jan 14

CoogarUK.com says...

The bypass is meant for through traffic, the High Street for visitors to the town. Only when those facts are taken on board can the above issue begin to move forward.

Another thing that amazes me is that while Dorchester has a 7.5t HGV weight limit except for access, HGV's are permitted to park overnight. I assume parking was not the kind of 'access' being considered at the time a weight limit was imposed!

The only thing one can be certain of in this age is for politicians to constantly mess things up.
The bypass is meant for through traffic, the High Street for visitors to the town. Only when those facts are taken on board can the above issue begin to move forward. Another thing that amazes me is that while Dorchester has a 7.5t HGV weight limit except for access, HGV's are permitted to park overnight. I assume parking was not the kind of 'access' being considered at the time a weight limit was imposed! The only thing one can be certain of in this age is for politicians to constantly mess things up. CoogarUK.com
  • Score: 6

6:31pm Fri 10 Jan 14

smilealoft44 says...

at
at smilealoft44
  • Score: 0

6:47pm Fri 10 Jan 14

smilealoft44 says...

At the UKIP monthly meeting last Tuesday at Dorchester this was reported on.
The Air Quality Action Plan states that the recorded amount of pollution recorded a few years ago at the high street in Dorchester was 46 micro grams per meter cubed. The E U GUIDELINE IS 40 m/g/p/m/c. But by 2015 the amount expected to be recorded will be projected to be about 35. This is because cars are better now than they were as we get rid of the old bangers things will get better.
Therefore there is no need to waste money on this scheme, spend it on services that need it.
If it had not been for UKIP i may of been hoodwinked too.
At the UKIP monthly meeting last Tuesday at Dorchester this was reported on. The Air Quality Action Plan states that the recorded amount of pollution recorded a few years ago at the high street in Dorchester was 46 micro grams per meter cubed. The E U GUIDELINE IS 40 m/g/p/m/c. But by 2015 the amount expected to be recorded will be projected to be about 35. This is because cars are better now than they were as we get rid of the old bangers things will get better. Therefore there is no need to waste money on this scheme, spend it on services that need it. If it had not been for UKIP i may of been hoodwinked too. smilealoft44
  • Score: 1

11:25pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Tinker2 says...

smilealoft44 wrote:
At the UKIP monthly meeting last Tuesday at Dorchester this was reported on. The Air Quality Action Plan states that the recorded amount of pollution recorded a few years ago at the high street in Dorchester was 46 micro grams per meter cubed. The E U GUIDELINE IS 40 m/g/p/m/c. But by 2015 the amount expected to be recorded will be projected to be about 35. This is because cars are better now than they were as we get rid of the old bangers things will get better. Therefore there is no need to waste money on this scheme, spend it on services that need it. If it had not been for UKIP i may of been hoodwinked too.
This scheme is excellent value to secure the long term shopping future of Dorcheter. If the pollution from all the cars just sitting not able to go anywhere is the trigger, then good at least it will start the ball rolling.
Through traffic should go via the relief road, not cut through the town and for the retailers, the town should be all about a pleasant shopping experience. A place to enjoy at your leisure, to have a coffee, to meet friends, relax and browse the shops. NOT to feel the car has been given priority and to fight your way down narrow pavements amid a road full of slow moving or stationary traffic, belching fumes. Lets regain the towns for the people. Widen the pavements, allow cafes to put out tables and chairs. Dorchester must move with the times if it's retail streets are to survive. I do hope the scheme gets the go-ahead - come on be progressive and grasp the nettle of change!!
[quote][p][bold]smilealoft44[/bold] wrote: At the UKIP monthly meeting last Tuesday at Dorchester this was reported on. The Air Quality Action Plan states that the recorded amount of pollution recorded a few years ago at the high street in Dorchester was 46 micro grams per meter cubed. The E U GUIDELINE IS 40 m/g/p/m/c. But by 2015 the amount expected to be recorded will be projected to be about 35. This is because cars are better now than they were as we get rid of the old bangers things will get better. Therefore there is no need to waste money on this scheme, spend it on services that need it. If it had not been for UKIP i may of been hoodwinked too.[/p][/quote]This scheme is excellent value to secure the long term shopping future of Dorcheter. If the pollution from all the cars just sitting not able to go anywhere is the trigger, then good at least it will start the ball rolling. Through traffic should go via the relief road, not cut through the town and for the retailers, the town should be all about a pleasant shopping experience. A place to enjoy at your leisure, to have a coffee, to meet friends, relax and browse the shops. NOT to feel the car has been given priority and to fight your way down narrow pavements amid a road full of slow moving or stationary traffic, belching fumes. Lets regain the towns for the people. Widen the pavements, allow cafes to put out tables and chairs. Dorchester must move with the times if it's retail streets are to survive. I do hope the scheme gets the go-ahead - come on be progressive and grasp the nettle of change!! Tinker2
  • Score: -3

11:42pm Fri 10 Jan 14

IDONTKNOWIFITISTRRUE says...

Tinker2 says...allow cafes to put out tables and chairs.
With weather like we are experiencing at the moment, I can see that becoming a real hit.
In order to see what effect through traffic has on pollution, why don't DCC experiment by putting a temporary barrier across the B3150 in Dorchester town at some point and see if that lowers the pollution. They will also need to put temporary 'No Through Road' signs up but I expect they already have those in a depot.
Tinker2 says...allow cafes to put out tables and chairs. With weather like we are experiencing at the moment, I can see that becoming a real hit. In order to see what effect through traffic has on pollution, why don't DCC experiment by putting a temporary barrier across the B3150 in Dorchester town at some point and see if that lowers the pollution. They will also need to put temporary 'No Through Road' signs up but I expect they already have those in a depot. IDONTKNOWIFITISTRRUE
  • Score: -2

7:26pm Sat 11 Jan 14

smilealoft44 says...

Tinker2 wrote:
smilealoft44 wrote:
At the UKIP monthly meeting last Tuesday at Dorchester this was reported on. The Air Quality Action Plan states that the recorded amount of pollution recorded a few years ago at the high street in Dorchester was 46 micro grams per meter cubed. The E U GUIDELINE IS 40 m/g/p/m/c. But by 2015 the amount expected to be recorded will be projected to be about 35. This is because cars are better now than they were as we get rid of the old bangers things will get better. Therefore there is no need to waste money on this scheme, spend it on services that need it. If it had not been for UKIP i may of been hoodwinked too.
This scheme is excellent value to secure the long term shopping future of Dorcheter. If the pollution from all the cars just sitting not able to go anywhere is the trigger, then good at least it will start the ball rolling.
Through traffic should go via the relief road, not cut through the town and for the retailers, the town should be all about a pleasant shopping experience. A place to enjoy at your leisure, to have a coffee, to meet friends, relax and browse the shops. NOT to feel the car has been given priority and to fight your way down narrow pavements amid a road full of slow moving or stationary traffic, belching fumes. Lets regain the towns for the people. Widen the pavements, allow cafes to put out tables and chairs. Dorchester must move with the times if it's retail streets are to survive. I do hope the scheme gets the go-ahead - come on be progressive and grasp the nettle of change!!
I dont think shoppers in Dorchester walk around with headaces due to pollution. From what i see with the amount of shoppers in the area that are no car areas there is no need to pave any more of the town.
[quote][p][bold]Tinker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smilealoft44[/bold] wrote: At the UKIP monthly meeting last Tuesday at Dorchester this was reported on. The Air Quality Action Plan states that the recorded amount of pollution recorded a few years ago at the high street in Dorchester was 46 micro grams per meter cubed. The E U GUIDELINE IS 40 m/g/p/m/c. But by 2015 the amount expected to be recorded will be projected to be about 35. This is because cars are better now than they were as we get rid of the old bangers things will get better. Therefore there is no need to waste money on this scheme, spend it on services that need it. If it had not been for UKIP i may of been hoodwinked too.[/p][/quote]This scheme is excellent value to secure the long term shopping future of Dorcheter. If the pollution from all the cars just sitting not able to go anywhere is the trigger, then good at least it will start the ball rolling. Through traffic should go via the relief road, not cut through the town and for the retailers, the town should be all about a pleasant shopping experience. A place to enjoy at your leisure, to have a coffee, to meet friends, relax and browse the shops. NOT to feel the car has been given priority and to fight your way down narrow pavements amid a road full of slow moving or stationary traffic, belching fumes. Lets regain the towns for the people. Widen the pavements, allow cafes to put out tables and chairs. Dorchester must move with the times if it's retail streets are to survive. I do hope the scheme gets the go-ahead - come on be progressive and grasp the nettle of change!![/p][/quote]I dont think shoppers in Dorchester walk around with headaces due to pollution. From what i see with the amount of shoppers in the area that are no car areas there is no need to pave any more of the town. smilealoft44
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree