Portland woman Storm Wallace enjoys Downing Street reception and receives award

PROUD: Storm Wallace, second right, outside No 10 with, from left, Zoe Yates, Gwen Aldous and Cllr Sandy West. Picture courtesy of ITV

PROUD: Storm Wallace, second right, outside No 10 with, from left, Zoe Yates, Gwen Aldous and Cllr Sandy West. Picture courtesy of ITV

First published in News
Last updated

FLOODS hero Storm Wallace spoke of her pride after being invited to Number 10 Downing Street for a special reception and to receive an award.

Miss Wallace, 29, who was praised for her volunteering efforts in the aftermath of the storms which lashed Portland, was invited to the corridors of power by Prime Minister David Cameron.

She became the first ever recipient of a new award scheme.

She enjoyed a reception at the famous address, was given a tour of the Cabinet Office and had a private meeting with Mr Cameron during her visit today (Monday).

She was due to appear on ITV’s Daybreak programme on Tuesday morning.

Miss Wallace, 29, was also presented with a personal letter from Mr Cameron and a new Points of Light award, an initiative started in America by former President George Bush senior to recognise individuals who spark change and make improvements. The scheme has now been taken up by the UK Government with someone selected each day to receive the award to celebrate their remarkable achievements.

Miss Wallace is the first ever UK Point of Light.

Mr Cameron said: “In the wake of the floods Storm Wallace showed true leadership and initiative by inspiring others to help with the clean-up operation.

“Storm showed that when times are tough she is willing to roll up her sleeves and make sure that local people are supported. That’s why I am awarding Storm a Point of Light - to congratulate her for her efforts in helping and inspiring others to get involved and make a difference.”

Miss Wallace has become a notable figure in the clean-up events on Portland and last month she scooped £5,000 for the community from Virgin supremo Richard Branson. It came after she was nominated as a ‘flood hero’ by the Daybreak programme.

She also met Mr Cameron during his visit to Chiswell earlier in the year.

Miss Wallace said: “It was a really good day; a bit mad actually but really cool.

“I said to David Cameron that he would get bored of meeting me soon but he said: 'never'.

“He is a funny guy and easy to talk too.”

Miss Wallace was among a number of ‘flood heroes’ invited to Downing Street –people who were said to go the extra mile during flood relief efforts.

She journeyed to London with her mum Gwen Aldous, and friends Toby Kelly, Zoe Yates and Councillor Sandy West.

Miss Wallace said: “I knew it was going to be full on when I got involved in the clean-ups but I never knew it would result in this recognition and some money for the community.

“David Cameron knew a lot about the work that has been going on at Portland and asked about how things are going now. He said what we have been doing at Portland as volunteers has made the government’s life easier.

“He wished me luck in future and said if I needed anything to call him and ask for help.”

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:48am Tue 8 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

" FLOODS HERO " Oh FFS, i'm not even gonna go there.

I see flim-flam when I see it and what's behind it.
" FLOODS HERO " Oh FFS, i'm not even gonna go there. I see flim-flam when I see it and what's behind it. Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: 26

10:03am Tue 8 Apr 14

woodsedge says...

Well done Storm, you put your head above the parapet and secured 5k for your community.
Well done Storm, you put your head above the parapet and secured 5k for your community. woodsedge
  • Score: -13

12:00pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Foursite says...

Surely not the daughter of ex Chief Constable Aldous.?
Surely not the daughter of ex Chief Constable Aldous.? Foursite
  • Score: 16

12:53pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Giblet says...

She appears to be an unnatural colour. Is she unwell?
She appears to be an unnatural colour. Is she unwell? Giblet
  • Score: 14

1:50pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

Foursite wrote:
Surely not the daughter of ex Chief Constable Aldous.?
Oh you say.....
[quote][p][bold]Foursite[/bold] wrote: Surely not the daughter of ex Chief Constable Aldous.?[/p][/quote]Oh you say..... Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: 9

1:51pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Foursite says...

woodsedge wrote:
Well done Storm, you put your head above the parapet and secured 5k for your community.
Can she secure the helicopter?
[quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: Well done Storm, you put your head above the parapet and secured 5k for your community.[/p][/quote]Can she secure the helicopter? Foursite
  • Score: 8

1:53pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

Foursite wrote:
woodsedge wrote:
Well done Storm, you put your head above the parapet and secured 5k for your community.
Can she secure the helicopter?
I heard she can jump over mountains in a single leap. propelled only by a can of spray tan....
[quote][p][bold]Foursite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: Well done Storm, you put your head above the parapet and secured 5k for your community.[/p][/quote]Can she secure the helicopter?[/p][/quote]I heard she can jump over mountains in a single leap. propelled only by a can of spray tan.... Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: 10

2:09pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Tinker2 says...

Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
Foursite wrote:
woodsedge wrote: Well done Storm, you put your head above the parapet and secured 5k for your community.
Can she secure the helicopter?
I heard she can jump over mountains in a single leap. propelled only by a can of spray tan....
Other people are capable of putting their foot in their mouth and being propelled by their own foul hot air!
[quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Foursite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: Well done Storm, you put your head above the parapet and secured 5k for your community.[/p][/quote]Can she secure the helicopter?[/p][/quote]I heard she can jump over mountains in a single leap. propelled only by a can of spray tan....[/p][/quote]Other people are capable of putting their foot in their mouth and being propelled by their own foul hot air! Tinker2
  • Score: -15

2:13pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

Tinker2 wrote:
Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
Foursite wrote:
woodsedge wrote: Well done Storm, you put your head above the parapet and secured 5k for your community.
Can she secure the helicopter?
I heard she can jump over mountains in a single leap. propelled only by a can of spray tan....
Other people are capable of putting their foot in their mouth and being propelled by their own foul hot air!
Yeah but only after some peanuts.
[quote][p][bold]Tinker2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Foursite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: Well done Storm, you put your head above the parapet and secured 5k for your community.[/p][/quote]Can she secure the helicopter?[/p][/quote]I heard she can jump over mountains in a single leap. propelled only by a can of spray tan....[/p][/quote]Other people are capable of putting their foot in their mouth and being propelled by their own foul hot air![/p][/quote]Yeah but only after some peanuts. Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: 6

2:39pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Foursite says...

Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
Foursite wrote: Surely not the daughter of ex Chief Constable Aldous.?
Oh you say.....
Oh no,"surely not" I say.
[quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Foursite[/bold] wrote: Surely not the daughter of ex Chief Constable Aldous.?[/p][/quote]Oh you say.....[/p][/quote]Oh no,"surely not" I say. Foursite
  • Score: 7

2:41pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

Foursite wrote:
Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
Foursite wrote: Surely not the daughter of ex Chief Constable Aldous.?
Oh you say.....
Oh no,"surely not" I say.
Enough said.
[quote][p][bold]Foursite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Foursite[/bold] wrote: Surely not the daughter of ex Chief Constable Aldous.?[/p][/quote]Oh you say.....[/p][/quote]Oh no,"surely not" I say.[/p][/quote]Enough said. Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: 9

9:51pm Sat 3 May 14

franG88 says...

well done Storm I bet Mr Cameron didnt know about your all night cocaine fueled party on the saturday before, where you were bragging to everyone how you were meeting the prime minister on Monday!
well done Storm I bet Mr Cameron didnt know about your all night cocaine fueled party on the saturday before, where you were bragging to everyone how you were meeting the prime minister on Monday! franG88
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree