Dorset farmer's herd 'devastated' by bovine TB

Dorset farmer's herd 'devastated' by bovine TB

Paul Gould faces losing up to a quarter of his herd to bovine TB

Dorset farmer's herd 'devastated' by bovine TB

First published in News
Last updated

A ‘DEVASTATED’ farmer is facing the prospect of losing almost a quarter of his heard to bovine TB.

Paul Gould, Dorset chairman of the National Farmers' Union, says it will take him up to four years to get over the loss.

Up to a quarter of Mr Gould’s closed dairy herd is set to be slaughtered after the animals reacted positively in the latest routine bovine TB test.

He said: “I’ve had 36 reactors, including 31 of my in-calf heifer replacements which were due to calve in this year. Let’s be clear about this, this means that pregnant cows will be sent for slaughter.

“Our last TB test was last June and we were completely clear.

“We’re a small family farm with 160 British Friesian cows.

“We’ve been a closed herd for 60 years, which means that all the cattle were born and bred on the farm and I don’t want to compromise that by bringing any animals in.”

The farmer said he believes his herd has been infected by badgers and is calling for a badger cull in Dorset.

As reported in the Echo, the controversial method for eradicating TB in livestock will not be extended to the county until at least 2015 or beyond.

Culls will continue where pilot culls were carried out in Gloucestershire and Somerset last year.

Mr Gould, from North Dorset, said: “We have badger setts on the farm and as far as I’m concerned there’s only one source of infection that this could have come from.

“Losing all these cows in one go is going to have a serious impact on the business.

“It means we’ll have no replacements at all this year and we’ll lose nearly a quarter of the herd.

“It’s devastating and we don’t know what our next TB test in 60 days will bring.”

Mr Gould will be visited by national NFU president Meurig Raymond.

Meurig Raymond said: “The terrible situation Paul finds himself in reinforces the need for action to be taken on all fronts to tackle bovine TB. He has done everything he possibly can to stop this disease infecting his herd and yet is still facing losing nearly a quarter of his cows because of the infected badgers living in or around the farm.

“While we’re confident that the pilot culls will deliver a reduction in bovine TB in Somerset and Gloucestershire, farmers in other parts of the country where the disease is rife like Dorset face the despair of continually fighting a losing battle to control it without any means of preventing badgers continually re-infecting their cattle.

“There is little point in increasing regulations on farmers when the disease isn’t being tackled in wildlife. Until we do that re-infection will continue to occur and farmers like Paul will be powerless to protect their businesses.

Controlling the spread of the disease is absolutely essential and culling badgers where bovine TB is endemic must play a role in any strategy to deal it.

“The government’s TB eradication strategy highlights the need to control the badger population in areas where TB is rife.

“The NFU will now be looking at the best ways of rolling out this policy to other areas where farms and farmers are having to deal with the scourge of TB on their farms.”

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:59am Tue 8 Apr 14

bargain price says...

maybe before killing badgers we should look into what we are feeling cattle as having worked in the feed, I know what is put in cow food. Also controlling the moment of cattle, years ago you had markets and the cattle was local but that has all been closed now a days the cow's comes from all over the uk who know what they have. It all comes down to money not the care of animals
maybe before killing badgers we should look into what we are feeling cattle as having worked in the feed, I know what is put in cow food. Also controlling the moment of cattle, years ago you had markets and the cattle was local but that has all been closed now a days the cow's comes from all over the uk who know what they have. It all comes down to money not the care of animals bargain price
  • Score: 0

12:00pm Tue 8 Apr 14

JackJohnson says...

It's clear that badgers, due to their protection, have been allowed to breed out of control. In some areas a cull is necessary. While I'm no supporter of the Royal Family, Princess Anne is talking a lot of sense.

Gassing them will be much easier than shooting them, and they won't get scared off to join other setts.

What would be a real disaster would be a return to badger baiting (or the killing / harm of any animal) for sport.

After all - deer are cute. We cull deer, don't we? Why not badgers.
It's clear that badgers, due to their protection, have been allowed to breed out of control. In some areas a cull is necessary. While I'm no supporter of the Royal Family, Princess Anne is talking a lot of sense. Gassing them will be much easier than shooting them, and they won't get scared off to join other setts. What would be a real disaster would be a return to badger baiting (or the killing / harm of any animal) for sport. After all - deer are cute. We cull deer, don't we? Why not badgers. JackJohnson
  • Score: 0

12:35pm Tue 8 Apr 14

navelgazer says...

Commiserations to Mr Gould, but he only 'believes' that badgers are the cause.
The NFU president says that he is confident that the pilot badger culls will lead to a reduction... but what does he base that opinion upon? In 2012, The Governments Chief Scientific adviser said that the proposed cull was a crazy plan.
"I would go down the vaccination and biosecurity route rather than this crazy scheme that may deliver very small advantage, may deliver none. And it's very hard to see how Defra are going to collect the crucial data to assess whether it's worth going ahead with free shooting at all,"

His comments were based upon research and scientific knowledge and models. Note that the recent pilot culls were additionally useless, because they failed to investigate how many of the culled badgers were infected.. the RSPCA suggests that, nationally, the infection rate may be as low as 1 in 7.

Below is an article (Sept 2012) written by a farmer living in one of the cull area:

/// start
The government justifies a badger cull by claiming it's to help farmers. I have 35 years' livestock management experience, and I live in the heart of the Forest of Dean – the cull area – and I disagree. Killing badgers isn't the long-term or sustainable solution to bovine TB control that farmers so desperately need. Shooting badgers is politically motivated, not scientifically driven, and farmers need to realise they're being sold a lame duck.

Over the years, I have managed some of the highest-yielding dairy herds in the world with consistently high levels of hygiene and disease resistance. Meticulous biosecurity and sympathetic animal husbandry are the key to stamping out TB in cattle, not shooting British wildlife.

Farmers vilify badgers but TB is mainly transmitted cow to cow. So the solution to eradicating TB lies with farmers themselves who must accept responsibility for a disease that is all too easily spread back and forth within and between herds due to poor management, lax biosecurity and substandard animal care. A slow response in tackling the disease compounds the problem, which can therefore soon reach epidemic proportions. I have seen it many times with mad cow disease, foot and mouth and now bovine TB. Alas, the farming industry prefers to scapegoat badgers rather than tackling these fundamental problems.

Water troughs are a reservoir for TB because they are rarely cleaned out. It's not uncommon for trough water to be left stagnating through the winter, collecting dead birds, rodents and various bacteria, only to be drunk by cattle in the spring. Badgers also use these troughs but it's unfair to isolate badgers when the culprit is the bacteria soup itself. Making troughs badger-proof is not rocket science, but more fundamental is the adoption of better hygiene standards by the agricultural industry.

Lax biosecurity on farms is also a major factor. Cows infected with TB should be quarantined immediately, but they rarely are. Every farm should have isolation areas to separate these animals and prevent cross-infection, but they rarely do. Biosecurity is often ignored by farmers and poorly enforced by Defra. Infected cows can be left unquarantined on farms for weeks. Before a single badger is shot, the farming industry should get its house in order.

We also need to improve cattle welfare. Farm animal stress caused by pain and suffering can reduce an animal's immunity and make it more susceptible to diseases like bovine TB. On too many farms, there are high levels of lameness, mastitis and rough animal handling. The average incidence of lameness in our national herd is a shameful 22%.

This is lazy husbandry. We have a wealth of veterinary knowledge to eradicate disease, and in countries with more advanced control measures there are very low incidences of bovine TB.

So as Defra ministers sign the death sentence for thousands of England's badgers, my message to them is this. Not in my name. Not in my name should you hoodwink the public into thinking that killing badgers will help struggling farmers, because you are betraying farmers with this unscientific policy. If you really wanted to help farming, you would help it reform and modernise, you'd actively support rather than hinder badger vaccination, you'd take the fight to Europe to green-light cattle vaccination. But instead, it's far cheaper and easier to just let farmers kill badgers.

///End
Commiserations to Mr Gould, but he only 'believes' that badgers are the cause. The NFU president says that he is confident that the pilot badger culls will lead to a reduction... but what does he base that opinion upon? In 2012, The Governments Chief Scientific adviser said that the proposed cull was a crazy plan. "I would go down the vaccination and biosecurity route rather than this crazy scheme that may deliver very small advantage, may deliver none. And it's very hard to see how Defra are going to collect the crucial data to assess whether it's worth going ahead with free shooting at all," His comments were based upon research and scientific knowledge and models. Note that the recent pilot culls were additionally useless, because they failed to investigate how many of the culled badgers were infected.. the RSPCA suggests that, nationally, the infection rate may be as low as 1 in 7. Below is an article (Sept 2012) written by a farmer living in one of the cull area: /// start The government justifies a badger cull by claiming it's to help farmers. I have 35 years' livestock management experience, and I live in the heart of the Forest of Dean – the cull area – and I disagree. Killing badgers isn't the long-term or sustainable solution to bovine TB control that farmers so desperately need. Shooting badgers is politically motivated, not scientifically driven, and farmers need to realise they're being sold a lame duck. Over the years, I have managed some of the highest-yielding dairy herds in the world with consistently high levels of hygiene and disease resistance. Meticulous biosecurity and sympathetic animal husbandry are the key to stamping out TB in cattle, not shooting British wildlife. Farmers vilify badgers but TB is mainly transmitted cow to cow. So the solution to eradicating TB lies with farmers themselves who must accept responsibility for a disease that is all too easily spread back and forth within and between herds due to poor management, lax biosecurity and substandard animal care. A slow response in tackling the disease compounds the problem, which can therefore soon reach epidemic proportions. I have seen it many times with mad cow disease, foot and mouth and now bovine TB. Alas, the farming industry prefers to scapegoat badgers rather than tackling these fundamental problems. Water troughs are a reservoir for TB because they are rarely cleaned out. It's not uncommon for trough water to be left stagnating through the winter, collecting dead birds, rodents and various bacteria, only to be drunk by cattle in the spring. Badgers also use these troughs but it's unfair to isolate badgers when the culprit is the bacteria soup itself. Making troughs badger-proof is not rocket science, but more fundamental is the adoption of better hygiene standards by the agricultural industry. Lax biosecurity on farms is also a major factor. Cows infected with TB should be quarantined immediately, but they rarely are. Every farm should have isolation areas to separate these animals and prevent cross-infection, but they rarely do. Biosecurity is often ignored by farmers and poorly enforced by Defra. Infected cows can be left unquarantined on farms for weeks. Before a single badger is shot, the farming industry should get its house in order. We also need to improve cattle welfare. Farm animal stress caused by pain and suffering can reduce an animal's immunity and make it more susceptible to diseases like bovine TB. On too many farms, there are high levels of lameness, mastitis and rough animal handling. The average incidence of lameness in our national herd is a shameful 22%. This is lazy husbandry. We have a wealth of veterinary knowledge to eradicate disease, and in countries with more advanced control measures there are very low incidences of bovine TB. So as Defra ministers sign the death sentence for thousands of England's badgers, my message to them is this. Not in my name. Not in my name should you hoodwink the public into thinking that killing badgers will help struggling farmers, because you are betraying farmers with this unscientific policy. If you really wanted to help farming, you would help it reform and modernise, you'd actively support rather than hinder badger vaccination, you'd take the fight to Europe to green-light cattle vaccination. But instead, it's far cheaper and easier to just let farmers kill badgers. ///End navelgazer
  • Score: 17

12:42pm Tue 8 Apr 14

rogerout says...

I can understand the feelings of Mr Gould . But all Farmers have been let down by the Bypassing of Science and the substitution of Politics. This has cost vast amounts of Time and Money as well as controversy. The recent IEP Report of the Cull has been very critical of its effectiveness and humaneness. And I have read that report in full. Only this week Wales produced its 2013 report on Badger vaccination, of 1352 badgers Vaccinated at a cost of fewer than one Million, with no visibly infected or poor health Badgers found. And the rates of Bovine TB incidences falling dramatically in Wales due to improved testing and movement schedules. As well as changes to Bio security. Some 90% of landowners in the designated area have allowed access to their land, covering some 486 farms.
But where is the improved cattle Testing and Cattle Vaccination? Cattle testing alone is failing up to 20% of the time to correctly diagnose Bovine TB. Allowing Tb infected cattle to remain in the herd, also to be sold on or for slaughter, As a result of the test showing Negative on infected Cattle.
We have also recently been advised of TB in cats and humans. A very small sample in a specific area. Close to a TB infected farm. The cats had small bites, consistent with a Rodent.
But if you have no evidence of the infection line, and you kill 1800 Badgers, and Post Mortem 180 of them. You have either visible evidence or post mortem evidence available of Bovine TB infection. Also 4 badgers killed were sent privately for BTB testing. But overall NO results published.
It is all credit to the Panel of Scientific Experts that produced the IEP report. That it was so factual and professional, within the limited evidence on some aspects supplied to them. But it was damning on Humaneness. And the reading was equally appalling.
Paterson Stated in questions to the House following his written statement that the Cull had cost close to One Billion pounds. It is now time to cut the Politics of Paterson and stop bypassing science. But make it evidence based. That opportunity has been there all along, but perhaps deliberately it has not been taken up.
I can understand the feelings of Mr Gould . But all Farmers have been let down by the Bypassing of Science and the substitution of Politics. This has cost vast amounts of Time and Money as well as controversy. The recent IEP Report of the Cull has been very critical of its effectiveness and humaneness. And I have read that report in full. Only this week Wales produced its 2013 report on Badger vaccination, of 1352 badgers Vaccinated at a cost of fewer than one Million, with no visibly infected or poor health Badgers found. And the rates of Bovine TB incidences falling dramatically in Wales due to improved testing and movement schedules. As well as changes to Bio security. Some 90% of landowners in the designated area have allowed access to their land, covering some 486 farms. But where is the improved cattle Testing and Cattle Vaccination? Cattle testing alone is failing up to 20% of the time to correctly diagnose Bovine TB. Allowing Tb infected cattle to remain in the herd, also to be sold on or for slaughter, As a result of the test showing Negative on infected Cattle. We have also recently been advised of TB in cats and humans. A very small sample in a specific area. Close to a TB infected farm. The cats had small bites, consistent with a Rodent. But if you have no evidence of the infection line, and you kill 1800 Badgers, and Post Mortem 180 of them. You have either visible evidence or post mortem evidence available of Bovine TB infection. Also 4 badgers killed were sent privately for BTB testing. But overall NO results published. It is all credit to the Panel of Scientific Experts that produced the IEP report. That it was so factual and professional, within the limited evidence on some aspects supplied to them. But it was damning on Humaneness. And the reading was equally appalling. Paterson Stated in questions to the House following his written statement that the Cull had cost close to One Billion pounds. It is now time to cut the Politics of Paterson and stop bypassing science. But make it evidence based. That opportunity has been there all along, but perhaps deliberately it has not been taken up. rogerout
  • Score: 10

1:30pm Tue 8 Apr 14

JamesYoung says...

rogerout wrote:
I can understand the feelings of Mr Gould . But all Farmers have been let down by the Bypassing of Science and the substitution of Politics. This has cost vast amounts of Time and Money as well as controversy. The recent IEP Report of the Cull has been very critical of its effectiveness and humaneness. And I have read that report in full. Only this week Wales produced its 2013 report on Badger vaccination, of 1352 badgers Vaccinated at a cost of fewer than one Million, with no visibly infected or poor health Badgers found. And the rates of Bovine TB incidences falling dramatically in Wales due to improved testing and movement schedules. As well as changes to Bio security. Some 90% of landowners in the designated area have allowed access to their land, covering some 486 farms.
But where is the improved cattle Testing and Cattle Vaccination? Cattle testing alone is failing up to 20% of the time to correctly diagnose Bovine TB. Allowing Tb infected cattle to remain in the herd, also to be sold on or for slaughter, As a result of the test showing Negative on infected Cattle.
We have also recently been advised of TB in cats and humans. A very small sample in a specific area. Close to a TB infected farm. The cats had small bites, consistent with a Rodent.
But if you have no evidence of the infection line, and you kill 1800 Badgers, and Post Mortem 180 of them. You have either visible evidence or post mortem evidence available of Bovine TB infection. Also 4 badgers killed were sent privately for BTB testing. But overall NO results published.
It is all credit to the Panel of Scientific Experts that produced the IEP report. That it was so factual and professional, within the limited evidence on some aspects supplied to them. But it was damning on Humaneness. And the reading was equally appalling.
Paterson Stated in questions to the House following his written statement that the Cull had cost close to One Billion pounds. It is now time to cut the Politics of Paterson and stop bypassing science. But make it evidence based. That opportunity has been there all along, but perhaps deliberately it has not been taken up.
Let's not forget that TB was passed from cattle to badger, and this very likely happened because of lax testing on imported cattle, which happened in the wake of the (DEFRA caused) foot and mouth crisis.
Vaccination seems like a far better option to me.
[quote][p][bold]rogerout[/bold] wrote: I can understand the feelings of Mr Gould . But all Farmers have been let down by the Bypassing of Science and the substitution of Politics. This has cost vast amounts of Time and Money as well as controversy. The recent IEP Report of the Cull has been very critical of its effectiveness and humaneness. And I have read that report in full. Only this week Wales produced its 2013 report on Badger vaccination, of 1352 badgers Vaccinated at a cost of fewer than one Million, with no visibly infected or poor health Badgers found. And the rates of Bovine TB incidences falling dramatically in Wales due to improved testing and movement schedules. As well as changes to Bio security. Some 90% of landowners in the designated area have allowed access to their land, covering some 486 farms. But where is the improved cattle Testing and Cattle Vaccination? Cattle testing alone is failing up to 20% of the time to correctly diagnose Bovine TB. Allowing Tb infected cattle to remain in the herd, also to be sold on or for slaughter, As a result of the test showing Negative on infected Cattle. We have also recently been advised of TB in cats and humans. A very small sample in a specific area. Close to a TB infected farm. The cats had small bites, consistent with a Rodent. But if you have no evidence of the infection line, and you kill 1800 Badgers, and Post Mortem 180 of them. You have either visible evidence or post mortem evidence available of Bovine TB infection. Also 4 badgers killed were sent privately for BTB testing. But overall NO results published. It is all credit to the Panel of Scientific Experts that produced the IEP report. That it was so factual and professional, within the limited evidence on some aspects supplied to them. But it was damning on Humaneness. And the reading was equally appalling. Paterson Stated in questions to the House following his written statement that the Cull had cost close to One Billion pounds. It is now time to cut the Politics of Paterson and stop bypassing science. But make it evidence based. That opportunity has been there all along, but perhaps deliberately it has not been taken up.[/p][/quote]Let's not forget that TB was passed from cattle to badger, and this very likely happened because of lax testing on imported cattle, which happened in the wake of the (DEFRA caused) foot and mouth crisis. Vaccination seems like a far better option to me. JamesYoung
  • Score: 15

1:58pm Tue 8 Apr 14

iansedwell says...

TB is primarily transmitted from cow to cow. The science firmly stands against culling badgers, the pilot badger cull reduced to a farce.

Mr Gould might learn a bitter lesson and exercise better husbandry in the future. Farmers in general might begin to shoulder responsibility for their own shoddy practices.
TB is primarily transmitted from cow to cow. The science firmly stands against culling badgers, the pilot badger cull reduced to a farce. Mr Gould might learn a bitter lesson and exercise better husbandry in the future. Farmers in general might begin to shoulder responsibility for their own shoddy practices. iansedwell
  • Score: 3

2:36pm Tue 8 Apr 14

custos says...

Most badgers are healthy. The Randomised Badger Culling Trials (RBCT)
showed that even in bTB hotspots less than one in seven badgers were infected. Incredibly, during the recent Cull the carcasses were not tested but the chances are that the vast majority of those killed were healthy. The clue is in the name bTB 'Bovine' TV is a Cattle not a Badger disease!
Most badgers are healthy. The Randomised Badger Culling Trials (RBCT) showed that even in bTB hotspots less than one in seven badgers were infected. Incredibly, during the recent Cull the carcasses were not tested but the chances are that the vast majority of those killed were healthy. The clue is in the name bTB 'Bovine' TV is a Cattle not a Badger disease! custos
  • Score: 2

3:54pm Tue 8 Apr 14

wurzelbasher says...

Surely vaccination is the answer. Vaccinate the cattle and also trap and vaccinate the badgers rather than just killing them. Are deer prone to TB as well? Heavens only knows there are enough of them about!
Surely vaccination is the answer. Vaccinate the cattle and also trap and vaccinate the badgers rather than just killing them. Are deer prone to TB as well? Heavens only knows there are enough of them about! wurzelbasher
  • Score: 3

7:03pm Tue 8 Apr 14

anika says...

closed farm for 60 years?..........
That doesn't seem sensible from a genetics point of view.
closed farm for 60 years?.......... That doesn't seem sensible from a genetics point of view. anika
  • Score: -3

8:12pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Bridders says...

Have mentioned on here before, No badgers on the Channel Islands yet still evidence of the TB within cattle. So how come ??
Have mentioned on here before, No badgers on the Channel Islands yet still evidence of the TB within cattle. So how come ?? Bridders
  • Score: 6

9:35pm Tue 8 Apr 14

rogerout says...

I would suggest that the Cattle test is only 80% effective, and perhaps the Bio security needs improving. This is where improved Science has been required for a long time. And it has been bypassed for Politics.

I attach the extract from a previous article below.

Mr Gould lost 12 per cent of his 160-strong British Friesian herd five years ago, and has suffered several outbreaks since then.
I would suggest that the Cattle test is only 80% effective, and perhaps the Bio security needs improving. This is where improved Science has been required for a long time. And it has been bypassed for Politics. I attach the extract from a previous article below. Mr Gould lost 12 per cent of his 160-strong British Friesian herd five years ago, and has suffered several outbreaks since then. rogerout
  • Score: 4

11:10pm Tue 8 Apr 14

MinJam says...

iansedwell wrote:
TB is primarily transmitted from cow to cow. The science firmly stands against culling badgers, the pilot badger cull reduced to a farce.

Mr Gould might learn a bitter lesson and exercise better husbandry in the future. Farmers in general might begin to shoulder responsibility for their own shoddy practices.
TB is primarily transmitted from cow to cow
....................
..........

Really?
http://www.farmersgu
ardian.com/are-cattl
e-really-the-cause-o
f-bovine-tb-spreadin
g-across-the-country
?/10145.article
[quote][p][bold]iansedwell[/bold] wrote: TB is primarily transmitted from cow to cow. The science firmly stands against culling badgers, the pilot badger cull reduced to a farce. Mr Gould might learn a bitter lesson and exercise better husbandry in the future. Farmers in general might begin to shoulder responsibility for their own shoddy practices.[/p][/quote]TB is primarily transmitted from cow to cow .................... .......... Really? http://www.farmersgu ardian.com/are-cattl e-really-the-cause-o f-bovine-tb-spreadin g-across-the-country ?/10145.article MinJam
  • Score: 1

11:13pm Tue 8 Apr 14

MinJam says...

MinJam wrote:
iansedwell wrote:
TB is primarily transmitted from cow to cow. The science firmly stands against culling badgers, the pilot badger cull reduced to a farce.

Mr Gould might learn a bitter lesson and exercise better husbandry in the future. Farmers in general might begin to shoulder responsibility for their own shoddy practices.
TB is primarily transmitted from cow to cow
....................

..........

Really?
http://www.farmersgu

ardian.com/are-cattl

e-really-the-cause-o

f-bovine-tb-spreadin

g-across-the-country

?/10145.article
New link hope this will work

http://tinyurl.com/n
llce9o
[quote][p][bold]MinJam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]iansedwell[/bold] wrote: TB is primarily transmitted from cow to cow. The science firmly stands against culling badgers, the pilot badger cull reduced to a farce. Mr Gould might learn a bitter lesson and exercise better husbandry in the future. Farmers in general might begin to shoulder responsibility for their own shoddy practices.[/p][/quote]TB is primarily transmitted from cow to cow .................... .......... Really? http://www.farmersgu ardian.com/are-cattl e-really-the-cause-o f-bovine-tb-spreadin g-across-the-country ?/10145.article[/p][/quote]New link hope this will work http://tinyurl.com/n llce9o MinJam
  • Score: -1

7:26am Wed 9 Apr 14

navelgazer says...

MinJam wrote:
MinJam wrote:
iansedwell wrote:
TB is primarily transmitted from cow to cow. The science firmly stands against culling badgers, the pilot badger cull reduced to a farce.

Mr Gould might learn a bitter lesson and exercise better husbandry in the future. Farmers in general might begin to shoulder responsibility for their own shoddy practices.
TB is primarily transmitted from cow to cow
....................


..........

Really?
http://www.farmersgu


ardian.com/are-cattl


e-really-the-cause-o


f-bovine-tb-spreadin


g-across-the-country


?/10145.article
New link hope this will work

http://tinyurl.com/n

llce9o
Here is an extract from a Cambridge University study that indicates that TB may remain in herds, an indication consistent with the repeated :outbreaks in Mr Gould's herd.:

"he models built by the team represent an advance over previous models as they are informed directly by extensive data on reported incidence and spread of the disease, rather than expert opinion. Importantly, they provide a first estimate of the quantity of infection missed by cattle testing and the contribution of this hidden burden of infection to the persistence of bTB within herds.

Applied to recent data, the models suggest that around one in five of British herds that have been cleared of restrictions, following testing for bTB, may harbour the infection. It also points to a higher incidence, and faster spread, of the disease in large herds.
......
.... The research focuses on the cattle-to-cattle transmission of bTB within herds - rather than infection from environmental factors, such as the reservoir of the disease that is known to exist in the badger population.

By concentrating on the processes that occur once infection has arrived in a herd, the study provides a more realistic representation of the complex system of testing than has been possible in larger scale national level models. It points to a high level (up to 21 per cent) of hidden infection in herds that have been passed as TB-free and also strongly suggests that larger herds suffer not just a higher incidence of the disease but also a faster rate of spread between cattle....
.......
.....“Many aspects of bTB, and its transmission, remain a mystery – and it’s long been known that the protocol and testing methods used to diagnose the disease are far from perfect. One of our models suggests that up to 21 per cent of herds may be harbouring infection after being cleared from movement restrictions,” said James Wood, Alborada Professor of Equine and Farm Animal Science at Cambridge University.
[quote][p][bold]MinJam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MinJam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]iansedwell[/bold] wrote: TB is primarily transmitted from cow to cow. The science firmly stands against culling badgers, the pilot badger cull reduced to a farce. Mr Gould might learn a bitter lesson and exercise better husbandry in the future. Farmers in general might begin to shoulder responsibility for their own shoddy practices.[/p][/quote]TB is primarily transmitted from cow to cow .................... .......... Really? http://www.farmersgu ardian.com/are-cattl e-really-the-cause-o f-bovine-tb-spreadin g-across-the-country ?/10145.article[/p][/quote]New link hope this will work http://tinyurl.com/n llce9o[/p][/quote]Here is an extract from a Cambridge University study that indicates that TB may remain in herds, an indication consistent with the repeated :outbreaks in Mr Gould's herd.: "he models built by the team represent an advance over previous models as they are informed directly by extensive data on reported incidence and spread of the disease, rather than expert opinion. Importantly, they provide a first estimate of the quantity of infection missed by cattle testing and the contribution of this hidden burden of infection to the persistence of bTB within herds. Applied to recent data, the models suggest that around one in five of British herds that have been cleared of restrictions, following testing for bTB, may harbour the infection. It also points to a higher incidence, and faster spread, of the disease in large herds. ...... .... The research focuses on the cattle-to-cattle transmission of bTB within herds - rather than infection from environmental factors, such as the reservoir of the disease that is known to exist in the badger population. By concentrating on the processes that occur once infection has arrived in a herd, the study provides a more realistic representation of the complex system of testing than has been possible in larger scale national level models. It points to a high level (up to 21 per cent) of hidden infection in herds that have been passed as TB-free and also strongly suggests that larger herds suffer not just a higher incidence of the disease but also a faster rate of spread between cattle.... ....... .....“Many aspects of bTB, and its transmission, remain a mystery – and it’s long been known that the protocol and testing methods used to diagnose the disease are far from perfect. One of our models suggests that up to 21 per cent of herds may be harbouring infection after being cleared from movement restrictions,” said James Wood, Alborada Professor of Equine and Farm Animal Science at Cambridge University. navelgazer
  • Score: 3

1:33pm Wed 9 Apr 14

stnetwork2 says...

Whether you are for or against the badger cull why not come along to tonights meeting and discuss the facts.

Stop the badger cull in Dorset!
Bournemouth Animal Aid are proud to present:
Andrew Butler - Dorset for Badger and Bovine Welfare

Wednesday 9th April at St Michaels Church Hall, Poole Hill, Bournemouth at 8pm

All are welcome - free admission.

Are you an animal lover?
Are you interested in a more ethical,
healthy and cruelty-free lifestyle?
This is your chance to meet like minded people.
Topical talks, film showings, information tables,
refreshments and yummy cakes! Local grown produce.

St Michael's Church Hall, Poole Hill, Bournemouth, BH2 5PS
(Near the Triangle)
Whether you are for or against the badger cull why not come along to tonights meeting and discuss the facts. Stop the badger cull in Dorset! Bournemouth Animal Aid are proud to present: Andrew Butler - Dorset for Badger and Bovine Welfare Wednesday 9th April at St Michaels Church Hall, Poole Hill, Bournemouth at 8pm All are welcome - free admission. Are you an animal lover? Are you interested in a more ethical, healthy and cruelty-free lifestyle? This is your chance to meet like minded people. Topical talks, film showings, information tables, refreshments and yummy cakes! Local grown produce. St Michael's Church Hall, Poole Hill, Bournemouth, BH2 5PS (Near the Triangle) stnetwork2
  • Score: 2

3:08pm Wed 9 Apr 14

livid99 says...

As it was recently reported that people have caught TB from cats, hopefully the government will approve a program of culling these horrible creatures. There are far too many cats roaming our gardens, and now it has been shown they are a danger to humans we should have a mass cull of cats. Would be good news.
As it was recently reported that people have caught TB from cats, hopefully the government will approve a program of culling these horrible creatures. There are far too many cats roaming our gardens, and now it has been shown they are a danger to humans we should have a mass cull of cats. Would be good news. livid99
  • Score: -1

6:22pm Mon 14 Apr 14

JACKC says...

lets have a cull of people like livid99....much happier world.
lets have a cull of people like livid99....much happier world. JACKC
  • Score: -2

7:42pm Mon 14 Apr 14

Rocksalt says...

Bridders wrote:
Have mentioned on here before, No badgers on the Channel Islands yet still evidence of the TB within cattle. So how come ??
Cats ?
[quote][p][bold]Bridders[/bold] wrote: Have mentioned on here before, No badgers on the Channel Islands yet still evidence of the TB within cattle. So how come ??[/p][/quote]Cats ? Rocksalt
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree