THE mother of a young man killed in a tragic incident on Portland has paid tribute to her ‘much-loved’ son as an open verdict was recorded into his death.

Aidan Dean Williams-Martin was 24 when he died following a car crash close to his home on Weston Street in October last year.

An inquest at County Hall in Dorchester heard that Mr Williams-Martin had not braked or attempted to swerve his Volkswagen Golf when it hit the wall on Pennsylvania Road head on in the early hours of October 6.

His mother Jacqueline Stokes told the hearing that her son had seemed his usual, happy self in the days leading up to the crash, and had been making plans to move to Derby so he could be nearer several of his friends who live in other parts of the country.

He had been at home on the night of the crash, and left the front door on the latch when he left the house, Mrs Stokes added.

Speaking after the inquest, she said the support of her son’s friends, who got tattoos in his memory, had been ‘phenomenal’.

The hearing heard from taxi driver Clive Bacon, who was dropping passengers off on the island when he saw Mr Williams-Martin’s car driving at speed down Weston Street at around 2am.

He said: “I was coming towards the junction on Pennsylvania Road when I saw a big flash. It was unbelievable.”

Mr Bacon called emergency services and his two passengers approached the car to see if they could help.

Also on the scene was holidaymaker Steven Harding, from Bedfordshire, who had heard the crash.

He told the inquest how he approached the driver’s side of the vehicle, which was on the wall, and attempted to comfort the young man.

“I just told him the emergency services were on their way. I don’t think he was conscious or in any pain.”

In a statement Doctor Mark Deverell told the inquest that Mr Williams-Martin died from internal injury and multiple fractures.

A police investigation found that the youngster had been driving at least 40mph and had not swerved or braked in the seconds before the crash.

He had been wearing a seatbelt, the inquest heard, and no mechanical faults were discovered in an inspection of the vehicle.

Assistant coroner Brendan Allen recorded an open verdict.

He said: “I find it difficult to reach a conclusion that he intended to take his own life. I also have difficulties in finding that this was purely and simply an accident.”

He added: “It is a tragedy when a young man who is popular and well-loved dies all too prematurely. I offer my condolences to his friends and family.”

SPEAKING after the hearing, Mrs Stokes said she wanted to thank Aidan’s friends who travelled from all over the country to pay their respects at his funeral.

The youngster, known as ‘the nicest bloke in Weymouth’ by his friends, had a goal of completing the mathematical number Pi to 4,000 places in tattoos.

His friends and family members have turned this wish into a tradition to remember him by.

Other friends have held fundraising ‘rock and rave’ gigs in his memory.

Mrs Stokes said her son was a popular young man, passionate about video games and raving, who ‘always had to be out if the sun was shining’.

His dad Dean Martin said he would like to thank the people who repaired the wall where the crash happened, leaving a spot for a bench and tributes to be laid.