When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Bonfire causes barn blaze
Updated 3:38pm Saturday 12th April 2014 in News
A BONFIRE caused a barn to catch fire in Abbotsbury.
Two fire engines from Weymouth were called to the blaze last night in West Street just after 9pm.
The beams and tiles of the barn had caught fire, which firefighters said was due to a bonfire setting alight the timber roof joists and had been smouldering for a couple of days.
A spokesman for Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said: “We would like to remind people that they should take extra care when having a bonfire. The bonfire should not be situated near to any buildings or any other flammable items. Someone should be with it at all times, with the necessary tools to extinguish the fire are present which can be used if necessary.”
Anyone who is lighting a bonfire is also asked to call 01305 753166 so the service is aware it is taking place.
Comments are closed on this article.