Emma crowned winner of new Miss Weymouth contest

MISS WEYMOUTH: Emma Whitbread

MISS WEYMOUTH: Emma Whitbread

First published in News by

AN ARMY Reservist is set for her next big adventure after she was named winner of the new Miss Weymouth competition and with it, Weymouth Carnival Queen 2014.

Emma Whitbread, 25, scooped the top title during a glittering ceremony at the Riviera Hotel.

As well as being a glamorous ambassador for Weymouth all year round, Emma will be this year’s Weymouth Carnival Queen on Wednesday, August 20.

Her attendants on the day will be Sophie Watson, winner of Teen Miss Weymouth, and Junior Miss Weymouth winner Amber Puckett.

Miss Weymouth is a new event devised by 2014 Weymouth Carnival chairman Elysia Munday, with the support of others.

The contest aims to breathe life into the old format of the carnival queen competition, encouraging people to enter who may have felt restricted in the past. Women of all shapes, sizes and ages were encouraged to enter and a total of 20 took part on the night.

Judges were Matt Smith from Weldmar, Lee Armstrong from the carnival committee, current carnival queen Gina Hartley, Mayor and Mayoress Ray Banham and Pam Nixon and former carnival chairman and queen, Lucy Compton.

The Miss Weymouth winner will participate as usual in the carnival but will also act as a town ambassador throughout the year, getting involved in community projects and helping to raise money for charity.

There were different awards to be won at the Miss Weymouth choosing night, and as well as being the overall winner, Emma received gongs in the ‘personality’ ‘charity’ and ‘top fundraiser’ categories.

Emma, who has a seven-year-old son, and works as the PR ambassador for Sainsbury’s in Weymouth, said: “I’m very, very happy to have won.

“This was my fourth year of applying to be in the carnival queen competition and I really enjoyed the new format of Miss Weymouth. It was a really good night and a great atmosphere.”

Emma is in the Army Reserves, serving with the Royal Wessex Yeomanry based at Bovington.

All Miss Weymouth contestants were encouraged to raise money for the nominated charity of Weldmar Hospicecare Trust and Elysia Munday said £1,105 was raised from the girls doing different things like selling handmade soaps, abseiling, sponsored silences and walk.

She said: “They are all amazing girls. I am so proud of all those who took part. They each did a fabulous job of presenting themselves.”

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:56am Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

Unelected and coming from a meaningless vacuous merit-less event claiming to represent something that has little interest in you.

You should join the Portland Council, you would do well there.
Unelected and coming from a meaningless vacuous merit-less event claiming to represent something that has little interest in you. You should join the Portland Council, you would do well there. Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: -12

10:39am Tue 22 Apr 14

woodsedge says...

I read this article earlier today and guessed you would be on this venting your spleen, so predictable. I can accept that in a democracy you are entitled to your view, but why do you need to attack the individual? All Emma is guilty of is entering a competition and winning! You have ignored the character of this individual who is working, a army reservist and will raise money for the Weldmar Hospice. I would guess the only thing that has stuck in your throat s the fact that she is female, again!!
I read this article earlier today and guessed you would be on this venting your spleen, so predictable. I can accept that in a democracy you are entitled to your view, but why do you need to attack the individual? All Emma is guilty of is entering a competition and winning! You have ignored the character of this individual who is working, a army reservist and will raise money for the Weldmar Hospice. I would guess the only thing that has stuck in your throat s the fact that she is female, again!! woodsedge
  • Score: 13

11:16am Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

woodsedge wrote:
I read this article earlier today and guessed you would be on this venting your spleen, so predictable. I can accept that in a democracy you are entitled to your view, but why do you need to attack the individual? All Emma is guilty of is entering a competition and winning! You have ignored the character of this individual who is working, a army reservist and will raise money for the Weldmar Hospice. I would guess the only thing that has stuck in your throat s the fact that she is female, again!!
Spare me your usual "victimology" sentiment and pitiful white-knight chest puffing. If someone is claiming to represent the Town then they should have adequate merits to do so, the same would apply regardless of who the individual is.

it is also an event that claims to "represent the town" yet bans 50% of it from entering.
[quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: I read this article earlier today and guessed you would be on this venting your spleen, so predictable. I can accept that in a democracy you are entitled to your view, but why do you need to attack the individual? All Emma is guilty of is entering a competition and winning! You have ignored the character of this individual who is working, a army reservist and will raise money for the Weldmar Hospice. I would guess the only thing that has stuck in your throat s the fact that she is female, again!![/p][/quote]Spare me your usual "victimology" sentiment and pitiful white-knight chest puffing. If someone is claiming to represent the Town then they should have adequate merits to do so, the same would apply regardless of who the individual is. it is also an event that claims to "represent the town" yet bans 50% of it from entering. Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: 5

1:57pm Tue 22 Apr 14

OpenEye says...

Looks like someone had a dysfunctional relationship with their mother.
Looks like someone had a dysfunctional relationship with their mother. OpenEye
  • Score: 2

2:00pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

OpenEye wrote:
Looks like someone had a dysfunctional relationship with their mother.
What an intellectual addition to the issue.
[quote][p][bold]OpenEye[/bold] wrote: Looks like someone had a dysfunctional relationship with their mother.[/p][/quote]What an intellectual addition to the issue. Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: -7

2:34pm Tue 22 Apr 14

OpenEye says...

Well .... from a clinical perspective its evident that you have significant psychological issues.
Well .... from a clinical perspective its evident that you have significant psychological issues. OpenEye
  • Score: 2

2:37pm Tue 22 Apr 14

woodsedge says...

OpenEye wrote:
Well .... from a clinical perspective its evident that you have significant psychological issues.
Not only does he have psychological problems he also has multiple personalities that keeps on giving his rambling's positive votes!
[quote][p][bold]OpenEye[/bold] wrote: Well .... from a clinical perspective its evident that you have significant psychological issues.[/p][/quote]Not only does he have psychological problems he also has multiple personalities that keeps on giving his rambling's positive votes! woodsedge
  • Score: 3

2:40pm Tue 22 Apr 14

shy talk says...

Sigurd Hoeberth. I bet she did not get her hair done at a barbers.
Sigurd Hoeberth. I bet she did not get her hair done at a barbers. shy talk
  • Score: 23

2:42pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

shy talk wrote:
Sigurd Hoeberth. I bet she did not get her hair done at a barbers.
Lol.
[quote][p][bold]shy talk[/bold] wrote: Sigurd Hoeberth. I bet she did not get her hair done at a barbers.[/p][/quote]Lol. Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: -1

2:46pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

If we had a competition for an individual to allegedly , "represent the town" and ban all women from it. Do you think that would be right, tolerated or acceptable?

Maybe someone can answer that without infantile shaming language and crude remarks? Funny when we had this conversation last year, they said they would look into my suggestions, I suggested that if you are going to claim to, "represent the town" then it should be a competition of both genders encompassing proper merits. How far have they got in that?

Will the next competition find young men to compete and hold it, not on any meaningless physical attributes but on knowledge, experience, qualification etc?

At least then it would be less of a fraud and not make women look stupid and needing to cheat, while exercising the equality many of them call for when they want something to go there way or when it is convenient to them?

It would not be an issue if they did not claim, "to represent the town" because that is a blatant lie. when you ban half of them from the opportunity to do so.
If we had a competition for an individual to allegedly , "represent the town" and ban all women from it. Do you think that would be right, tolerated or acceptable? Maybe someone can answer that without infantile shaming language and crude remarks? Funny when we had this conversation last year, they said they would look into my suggestions, I suggested that if you are going to claim to, "represent the town" then it should be a competition of both genders encompassing proper merits. How far have they got in that? Will the next competition find young men to compete and hold it, not on any meaningless physical attributes but on knowledge, experience, qualification etc? At least then it would be less of a fraud and not make women look stupid and needing to cheat, while exercising the equality many of them call for when they want something to go there way or when it is convenient to them? It would not be an issue if they did not claim, "to represent the town" because that is a blatant lie. when you ban half of them from the opportunity to do so. Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: 17

2:52pm Tue 22 Apr 14

shy talk says...

Both genders. Careful in this day and age with so many “genders” about, could get messy.
Both genders. Careful in this day and age with so many “genders” about, could get messy. shy talk
  • Score: 14

3:08pm Tue 22 Apr 14

woodsedge says...

Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
If we had a competition for an individual to allegedly , "represent the town" and ban all women from it. Do you think that would be right, tolerated or acceptable?

Maybe someone can answer that without infantile shaming language and crude remarks? Funny when we had this conversation last year, they said they would look into my suggestions, I suggested that if you are going to claim to, "represent the town" then it should be a competition of both genders encompassing proper merits. How far have they got in that?

Will the next competition find young men to compete and hold it, not on any meaningless physical attributes but on knowledge, experience, qualification etc?

At least then it would be less of a fraud and not make women look stupid and needing to cheat, while exercising the equality many of them call for when they want something to go there way or when it is convenient to them?

It would not be an issue if they did not claim, "to represent the town" because that is a blatant lie. when you ban half of them from the opportunity to do so.
You really are burning your bra today Sig! Does your equality extend to all parts of life? Equal pay in the workplace without 'glass ceiling's' or patronising pay systems that discriminate against females? Let's see, are there any religions where men aren't allowed to be leaders? No. Are there any countries where men cannot vote because they are men? No. Are there any countries where men cannot drive or leave the house without a female companion? No.
Look at our government, universities, religions, businesses, and really all institutions in the UK. Everything is male dominated. You could argue this is because women just don't like having power, but I somehow find that hard to believe. I think most raging misogynists on here would also disagree with the notion that women don't like power.

But again you turn a good news story into a male v female issue. You really, really have some issues old boy.
[quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: If we had a competition for an individual to allegedly , "represent the town" and ban all women from it. Do you think that would be right, tolerated or acceptable? Maybe someone can answer that without infantile shaming language and crude remarks? Funny when we had this conversation last year, they said they would look into my suggestions, I suggested that if you are going to claim to, "represent the town" then it should be a competition of both genders encompassing proper merits. How far have they got in that? Will the next competition find young men to compete and hold it, not on any meaningless physical attributes but on knowledge, experience, qualification etc? At least then it would be less of a fraud and not make women look stupid and needing to cheat, while exercising the equality many of them call for when they want something to go there way or when it is convenient to them? It would not be an issue if they did not claim, "to represent the town" because that is a blatant lie. when you ban half of them from the opportunity to do so.[/p][/quote]You really are burning your bra today Sig! Does your equality extend to all parts of life? Equal pay in the workplace without 'glass ceiling's' or patronising pay systems that discriminate against females? Let's see, are there any religions where men aren't allowed to be leaders? No. Are there any countries where men cannot vote because they are men? No. Are there any countries where men cannot drive or leave the house without a female companion? No. Look at our government, universities, religions, businesses, and really all institutions in the UK. Everything is male dominated. You could argue this is because women just don't like having power, but I somehow find that hard to believe. I think most raging misogynists on here would also disagree with the notion that women don't like power. But again you turn a good news story into a male v female issue. You really, really have some issues old boy. woodsedge
  • Score: -4

3:09pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Angel wings says...

Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
woodsedge wrote:
I read this article earlier today and guessed you would be on this venting your spleen, so predictable. I can accept that in a democracy you are entitled to your view, but why do you need to attack the individual? All Emma is guilty of is entering a competition and winning! You have ignored the character of this individual who is working, a army reservist and will raise money for the Weldmar Hospice. I would guess the only thing that has stuck in your throat s the fact that she is female, again!!
Spare me your usual "victimology" sentiment and pitiful white-knight chest puffing. If someone is claiming to represent the Town then they should have adequate merits to do so, the same would apply regardless of who the individual is.

it is also an event that claims to "represent the town" yet bans 50% of it from entering.
Bans 50% from entering??? I would be interested in knowing more about that as I was very surprised to be informed that the competition only had 3 in the eldest category so It doesn't appear the town was truly represented
[quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: I read this article earlier today and guessed you would be on this venting your spleen, so predictable. I can accept that in a democracy you are entitled to your view, but why do you need to attack the individual? All Emma is guilty of is entering a competition and winning! You have ignored the character of this individual who is working, a army reservist and will raise money for the Weldmar Hospice. I would guess the only thing that has stuck in your throat s the fact that she is female, again!![/p][/quote]Spare me your usual "victimology" sentiment and pitiful white-knight chest puffing. If someone is claiming to represent the Town then they should have adequate merits to do so, the same would apply regardless of who the individual is. it is also an event that claims to "represent the town" yet bans 50% of it from entering.[/p][/quote]Bans 50% from entering??? I would be interested in knowing more about that as I was very surprised to be informed that the competition only had 3 in the eldest category so It doesn't appear the town was truly represented Angel wings
  • Score: 4

3:10pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

shy talk wrote:
Both genders. Careful in this day and age with so many “genders” about, could get messy.
I don't care what gender or trans-gender the candidate is myself. I only care that something is fraudulently claiming to, "represent the Town" and blocking at least half of them from rightful participation. That is the issue here, nothing else. If they drop the, "represent the Town" or any kind of similar claim, then carry on by all means.

Those who add infantile comment and shaming language or just plain hyperbole, do no more than make women look incapable and afraid of real equality. Shame on them.
[quote][p][bold]shy talk[/bold] wrote: Both genders. Careful in this day and age with so many “genders” about, could get messy.[/p][/quote]I don't care what gender or trans-gender the candidate is myself. I only care that something is fraudulently claiming to, "represent the Town" and blocking at least half of them from rightful participation. That is the issue here, nothing else. If they drop the, "represent the Town" or any kind of similar claim, then carry on by all means. Those who add infantile comment and shaming language or just plain hyperbole, do no more than make women look incapable and afraid of real equality. Shame on them. Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: 4

3:16pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

Angel wings wrote:
Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
woodsedge wrote:
I read this article earlier today and guessed you would be on this venting your spleen, so predictable. I can accept that in a democracy you are entitled to your view, but why do you need to attack the individual? All Emma is guilty of is entering a competition and winning! You have ignored the character of this individual who is working, a army reservist and will raise money for the Weldmar Hospice. I would guess the only thing that has stuck in your throat s the fact that she is female, again!!
Spare me your usual "victimology" sentiment and pitiful white-knight chest puffing. If someone is claiming to represent the Town then they should have adequate merits to do so, the same would apply regardless of who the individual is.

it is also an event that claims to "represent the town" yet bans 50% of it from entering.
Bans 50% from entering??? I would be interested in knowing more about that as I was very surprised to be informed that the competition only had 3 in the eldest category so It doesn't appear the town was truly represented
Was it? Oh so the Town is only in habited by White Women then? If you are claiming to, "represent a Town" then it is only right that those given the opportunity of candidacy properly reflect the inhabitants of the town they allegedly represent.

Where was the male candidate? Where was the trans-gendered, the non-european? It is the "represent the Town but" that is the issue here, try thinking on that basis, not all the excuses being used to avoid it.
[quote][p][bold]Angel wings[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: I read this article earlier today and guessed you would be on this venting your spleen, so predictable. I can accept that in a democracy you are entitled to your view, but why do you need to attack the individual? All Emma is guilty of is entering a competition and winning! You have ignored the character of this individual who is working, a army reservist and will raise money for the Weldmar Hospice. I would guess the only thing that has stuck in your throat s the fact that she is female, again!![/p][/quote]Spare me your usual "victimology" sentiment and pitiful white-knight chest puffing. If someone is claiming to represent the Town then they should have adequate merits to do so, the same would apply regardless of who the individual is. it is also an event that claims to "represent the town" yet bans 50% of it from entering.[/p][/quote]Bans 50% from entering??? I would be interested in knowing more about that as I was very surprised to be informed that the competition only had 3 in the eldest category so It doesn't appear the town was truly represented[/p][/quote]Was it? Oh so the Town is only in habited by White Women then? If you are claiming to, "represent a Town" then it is only right that those given the opportunity of candidacy properly reflect the inhabitants of the town they allegedly represent. Where was the male candidate? Where was the trans-gendered, the non-european? It is the "represent the Town but" that is the issue here, try thinking on that basis, not all the excuses being used to avoid it. Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: 4

3:22pm Tue 22 Apr 14

woodsedge says...

Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
Angel wings wrote:
Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
woodsedge wrote:
I read this article earlier today and guessed you would be on this venting your spleen, so predictable. I can accept that in a democracy you are entitled to your view, but why do you need to attack the individual? All Emma is guilty of is entering a competition and winning! You have ignored the character of this individual who is working, a army reservist and will raise money for the Weldmar Hospice. I would guess the only thing that has stuck in your throat s the fact that she is female, again!!
Spare me your usual "victimology" sentiment and pitiful white-knight chest puffing. If someone is claiming to represent the Town then they should have adequate merits to do so, the same would apply regardless of who the individual is.

it is also an event that claims to "represent the town" yet bans 50% of it from entering.
Bans 50% from entering??? I would be interested in knowing more about that as I was very surprised to be informed that the competition only had 3 in the eldest category so It doesn't appear the town was truly represented
Was it? Oh so the Town is only in habited by White Women then? If you are claiming to, "represent a Town" then it is only right that those given the opportunity of candidacy properly reflect the inhabitants of the town they allegedly represent.

Where was the male candidate? Where was the trans-gendered, the non-european? It is the "represent the Town but" that is the issue here, try thinking on that basis, not all the excuses being used to avoid it.
Oh dear, you really have got yourself in a hole this time old chap. Because you are losing the old 'poor hard done by men' argument, you are now saying that the competition isn't 'representing the town'. The competition is clearly representing the town in line with the competition rules, you know MISS WEYMOUTH! Bit of a clue in the title.
[quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Angel wings[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: I read this article earlier today and guessed you would be on this venting your spleen, so predictable. I can accept that in a democracy you are entitled to your view, but why do you need to attack the individual? All Emma is guilty of is entering a competition and winning! You have ignored the character of this individual who is working, a army reservist and will raise money for the Weldmar Hospice. I would guess the only thing that has stuck in your throat s the fact that she is female, again!![/p][/quote]Spare me your usual "victimology" sentiment and pitiful white-knight chest puffing. If someone is claiming to represent the Town then they should have adequate merits to do so, the same would apply regardless of who the individual is. it is also an event that claims to "represent the town" yet bans 50% of it from entering.[/p][/quote]Bans 50% from entering??? I would be interested in knowing more about that as I was very surprised to be informed that the competition only had 3 in the eldest category so It doesn't appear the town was truly represented[/p][/quote]Was it? Oh so the Town is only in habited by White Women then? If you are claiming to, "represent a Town" then it is only right that those given the opportunity of candidacy properly reflect the inhabitants of the town they allegedly represent. Where was the male candidate? Where was the trans-gendered, the non-european? It is the "represent the Town but" that is the issue here, try thinking on that basis, not all the excuses being used to avoid it.[/p][/quote]Oh dear, you really have got yourself in a hole this time old chap. Because you are losing the old 'poor hard done by men' argument, you are now saying that the competition isn't 'representing the town'. The competition is clearly representing the town in line with the competition rules, you know MISS WEYMOUTH! Bit of a clue in the title. woodsedge
  • Score: -1

3:26pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

woodsedge wrote:
Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
Angel wings wrote:
Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
woodsedge wrote:
I read this article earlier today and guessed you would be on this venting your spleen, so predictable. I can accept that in a democracy you are entitled to your view, but why do you need to attack the individual? All Emma is guilty of is entering a competition and winning! You have ignored the character of this individual who is working, a army reservist and will raise money for the Weldmar Hospice. I would guess the only thing that has stuck in your throat s the fact that she is female, again!!
Spare me your usual "victimology" sentiment and pitiful white-knight chest puffing. If someone is claiming to represent the Town then they should have adequate merits to do so, the same would apply regardless of who the individual is.

it is also an event that claims to "represent the town" yet bans 50% of it from entering.
Bans 50% from entering??? I would be interested in knowing more about that as I was very surprised to be informed that the competition only had 3 in the eldest category so It doesn't appear the town was truly represented
Was it? Oh so the Town is only in habited by White Women then? If you are claiming to, "represent a Town" then it is only right that those given the opportunity of candidacy properly reflect the inhabitants of the town they allegedly represent.

Where was the male candidate? Where was the trans-gendered, the non-european? It is the "represent the Town but" that is the issue here, try thinking on that basis, not all the excuses being used to avoid it.
Oh dear, you really have got yourself in a hole this time old chap. Because you are losing the old 'poor hard done by men' argument, you are now saying that the competition isn't 'representing the town'. The competition is clearly representing the town in line with the competition rules, you know MISS WEYMOUTH! Bit of a clue in the title.
I am in no hole no matter what tactics and hyperbole you try on., facts are facts and claiming to represent a whole Town by holding an event that is formatted in a way that discriminates a good half of it's inhabitants from participating is wrong.
[quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Angel wings[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: I read this article earlier today and guessed you would be on this venting your spleen, so predictable. I can accept that in a democracy you are entitled to your view, but why do you need to attack the individual? All Emma is guilty of is entering a competition and winning! You have ignored the character of this individual who is working, a army reservist and will raise money for the Weldmar Hospice. I would guess the only thing that has stuck in your throat s the fact that she is female, again!![/p][/quote]Spare me your usual "victimology" sentiment and pitiful white-knight chest puffing. If someone is claiming to represent the Town then they should have adequate merits to do so, the same would apply regardless of who the individual is. it is also an event that claims to "represent the town" yet bans 50% of it from entering.[/p][/quote]Bans 50% from entering??? I would be interested in knowing more about that as I was very surprised to be informed that the competition only had 3 in the eldest category so It doesn't appear the town was truly represented[/p][/quote]Was it? Oh so the Town is only in habited by White Women then? If you are claiming to, "represent a Town" then it is only right that those given the opportunity of candidacy properly reflect the inhabitants of the town they allegedly represent. Where was the male candidate? Where was the trans-gendered, the non-european? It is the "represent the Town but" that is the issue here, try thinking on that basis, not all the excuses being used to avoid it.[/p][/quote]Oh dear, you really have got yourself in a hole this time old chap. Because you are losing the old 'poor hard done by men' argument, you are now saying that the competition isn't 'representing the town'. The competition is clearly representing the town in line with the competition rules, you know MISS WEYMOUTH! Bit of a clue in the title.[/p][/quote]I am in no hole no matter what tactics and hyperbole you try on., facts are facts and claiming to represent a whole Town by holding an event that is formatted in a way that discriminates a good half of it's inhabitants from participating is wrong. Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: 7

3:48pm Tue 22 Apr 14

woodsedge says...

Anyway Siggy old boy, the competition is totally legal under the Exceptions part of the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 section 43. And I am sure as a law abiding member of the community you accept that the competition is legal, and would like to wish Emma all the very best for the length of her tenure?
Anyway Siggy old boy, the competition is totally legal under the Exceptions part of the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 section 43. And I am sure as a law abiding member of the community you accept that the competition is legal, and would like to wish Emma all the very best for the length of her tenure? woodsedge
  • Score: -3

3:51pm Tue 22 Apr 14

2539 says...

Some of the lengthiest posts I've seen on such uninteresting points, opinions etc. Have the balls to say what you think.... We all expected a little more beauty from a winner, I certainly did. Nothing against her though. If a winner carries a lower quality than expected in any competition, whether or not it requires beauty, skill or any other quality, it only shows a shortage of applicants which in turn can only point blame towards the health and safety crazy organizers and jobs worth's of this town resulting in lack of interest and support in the annual event. Massive decline over the years. Poor show Weymouth, poor show.
Some of the lengthiest posts I've seen on such uninteresting points, opinions etc. Have the balls to say what you think.... We all expected a little more beauty from a winner, I certainly did. Nothing against her though. If a winner carries a lower quality than expected in any competition, whether or not it requires beauty, skill or any other quality, it only shows a shortage of applicants which in turn can only point blame towards the health and safety crazy organizers and jobs worth's of this town resulting in lack of interest and support in the annual event. Massive decline over the years. Poor show Weymouth, poor show. 2539
  • Score: 7

4:44pm Tue 22 Apr 14

dorsetlad25 says...

I think it's sad to see so many negative comments about this competition. And i bet those that are moaning, did not attend the live finals on Sunday, which were incredibly well organised. This event has revealed some incredible individuals within the borough, of all ages. They have entered because then genuinely believe in the town and are proud to be part of the community. They want to make a difference and help represent all that the holiday resort has to offer! Not only was this a fantastically organised event, it completely changed a lot of the audiences perception on pageants and at the same time raised money for a local charity. I say hat's off to the organisers and thank you for pumping new exciting events into the community. Miss Weymouth was not only a fantastic event, it was also inspiring and gives the opportunity to so many people of all ages!
I think it's sad to see so many negative comments about this competition. And i bet those that are moaning, did not attend the live finals on Sunday, which were incredibly well organised. This event has revealed some incredible individuals within the borough, of all ages. They have entered because then genuinely believe in the town and are proud to be part of the community. They want to make a difference and help represent all that the holiday resort has to offer! Not only was this a fantastically organised event, it completely changed a lot of the audiences perception on pageants and at the same time raised money for a local charity. I say hat's off to the organisers and thank you for pumping new exciting events into the community. Miss Weymouth was not only a fantastic event, it was also inspiring and gives the opportunity to so many people of all ages! dorsetlad25
  • Score: -4

5:33pm Tue 22 Apr 14

woodsedge says...

dorsetlad25 wrote:
I think it's sad to see so many negative comments about this competition. And i bet those that are moaning, did not attend the live finals on Sunday, which were incredibly well organised. This event has revealed some incredible individuals within the borough, of all ages. They have entered because then genuinely believe in the town and are proud to be part of the community. They want to make a difference and help represent all that the holiday resort has to offer! Not only was this a fantastically organised event, it completely changed a lot of the audiences perception on pageants and at the same time raised money for a local charity. I say hat's off to the organisers and thank you for pumping new exciting events into the community. Miss Weymouth was not only a fantastic event, it was also inspiring and gives the opportunity to so many people of all ages!
Well said dorsetlad25, another positive post hijacked by those with their own agenda. We should be celebrating the fact that the town has another positive role model and money will be raised for good causes, a win win for the vast majority of the local population. I wasn't at the event last night but I will certainly be at next years.
[quote][p][bold]dorsetlad25[/bold] wrote: I think it's sad to see so many negative comments about this competition. And i bet those that are moaning, did not attend the live finals on Sunday, which were incredibly well organised. This event has revealed some incredible individuals within the borough, of all ages. They have entered because then genuinely believe in the town and are proud to be part of the community. They want to make a difference and help represent all that the holiday resort has to offer! Not only was this a fantastically organised event, it completely changed a lot of the audiences perception on pageants and at the same time raised money for a local charity. I say hat's off to the organisers and thank you for pumping new exciting events into the community. Miss Weymouth was not only a fantastic event, it was also inspiring and gives the opportunity to so many people of all ages![/p][/quote]Well said dorsetlad25, another positive post hijacked by those with their own agenda. We should be celebrating the fact that the town has another positive role model and money will be raised for good causes, a win win for the vast majority of the local population. I wasn't at the event last night but I will certainly be at next years. woodsedge
  • Score: -5

9:24pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

I love the way you claim an opinion can, "Hijack" something. An idea is always dangerous when you speak against the huddled self-validating Hamsters of "Group think".
I love the way you claim an opinion can, "Hijack" something. An idea is always dangerous when you speak against the huddled self-validating Hamsters of "Group think". Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: 5

9:38pm Tue 22 Apr 14

woodsedge says...

Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
I love the way you claim an opinion can, "Hijack" something. An idea is always dangerous when you speak against the huddled self-validating Hamsters of "Group think".
You are not capable of posting an opinion without it bring a personal attack on an individual or an organisation that are mainly doing a good deed in the community. If you don't believe me try re reading your first venomous post old chap.
[quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: I love the way you claim an opinion can, "Hijack" something. An idea is always dangerous when you speak against the huddled self-validating Hamsters of "Group think".[/p][/quote]You are not capable of posting an opinion without it bring a personal attack on an individual or an organisation that are mainly doing a good deed in the community. If you don't believe me try re reading your first venomous post old chap. woodsedge
  • Score: -2

9:40pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

How does one make a personal attack on an organisation? The event is what takes away her merits or ability to show them, not me.
How does one make a personal attack on an organisation? The event is what takes away her merits or ability to show them, not me. Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: -2

9:44pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

I also love how you use "good deeds" and charity as an excuse for everything these days. When it isn't being used to make money from it, it is a big rug under which you can brush anything . Then again those of your kind of agenda knows all about that eh ;-)
I also love how you use "good deeds" and charity as an excuse for everything these days. When it isn't being used to make money from it, it is a big rug under which you can brush anything . Then again those of your kind of agenda knows all about that eh ;-) Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: 0

10:03pm Tue 22 Apr 14

woodsedge says...

Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
How does one make a personal attack on an organisation? The event is what takes away her merits or ability to show them, not me.
Article headline Emma Crowned New Winner of New Miss Weymouth Contest your comment "You should join the Portland Council, you would do well there". So much venom you don't even know what you are writing.
[quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: How does one make a personal attack on an organisation? The event is what takes away her merits or ability to show them, not me.[/p][/quote]Article headline Emma Crowned New Winner of New Miss Weymouth Contest your comment "You should join the Portland Council, you would do well there". So much venom you don't even know what you are writing. woodsedge
  • Score: -2

10:07pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

I know exactly what I am writing and the lack of merit and ignorance of what constitutes validity, are easily comparable between the two. So how about your irrelevant rant about glass ceilings and male privilege earlier in the comments, all of which I could thrown more studies, evidence and facts at to destroy it. You really are a massive hypocrite Woody.
I know exactly what I am writing and the lack of merit and ignorance of what constitutes validity, are easily comparable between the two. So how about your irrelevant rant about glass ceilings and male privilege earlier in the comments, all of which I could thrown more studies, evidence and facts at to destroy it. You really are a massive hypocrite Woody. Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: -3

10:08pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

Of course your nasty personal vitriol which is far more direct and "venemous" on every other comment doesn't exist...right?
Of course your nasty personal vitriol which is far more direct and "venemous" on every other comment doesn't exist...right? Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: 0

10:32pm Tue 22 Apr 14

woodsedge says...

woodsedge wrote:
Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
How does one make a personal attack on an organisation? The event is what takes away her merits or ability to show them, not me.
Article headline Emma Crowned New Winner of New Miss Weymouth Contest your comment "You should join the Portland Council, you would do well there". So much venom you don't even know what you are writing.
Can't deny the facts old chap.
[quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: How does one make a personal attack on an organisation? The event is what takes away her merits or ability to show them, not me.[/p][/quote]Article headline Emma Crowned New Winner of New Miss Weymouth Contest your comment "You should join the Portland Council, you would do well there". So much venom you don't even know what you are writing.[/p][/quote]Can't deny the facts old chap. woodsedge
  • Score: 1

10:35pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

I didn't deny anything. I answered you clearly.
I didn't deny anything. I answered you clearly. Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: -2

10:38pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Sigurd Hoeberth says...

Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
Of course your nasty personal vitriol which is far more direct and "venemous" on every other comment doesn't exist...right?
Can't deny facts Ol chap....
[quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: Of course your nasty personal vitriol which is far more direct and "venemous" on every other comment doesn't exist...right?[/p][/quote]Can't deny facts Ol chap.... Sigurd Hoeberth
  • Score: 3

8:50am Wed 23 Apr 14

krazikazzi says...

maybe Sigurd Hoeberth just wants to be Carnival Queen :)
maybe Sigurd Hoeberth just wants to be Carnival Queen :) krazikazzi
  • Score: 5

9:04am Wed 23 Apr 14

JamesYoung says...

woodsedge wrote:
Sigurd Hoeberth wrote:
If we had a competition for an individual to allegedly , "represent the town" and ban all women from it. Do you think that would be right, tolerated or acceptable?

Maybe someone can answer that without infantile shaming language and crude remarks? Funny when we had this conversation last year, they said they would look into my suggestions, I suggested that if you are going to claim to, "represent the town" then it should be a competition of both genders encompassing proper merits. How far have they got in that?

Will the next competition find young men to compete and hold it, not on any meaningless physical attributes but on knowledge, experience, qualification etc?

At least then it would be less of a fraud and not make women look stupid and needing to cheat, while exercising the equality many of them call for when they want something to go there way or when it is convenient to them?

It would not be an issue if they did not claim, "to represent the town" because that is a blatant lie. when you ban half of them from the opportunity to do so.
You really are burning your bra today Sig! Does your equality extend to all parts of life? Equal pay in the workplace without 'glass ceiling's' or patronising pay systems that discriminate against females? Let's see, are there any religions where men aren't allowed to be leaders? No. Are there any countries where men cannot vote because they are men? No. Are there any countries where men cannot drive or leave the house without a female companion? No.
Look at our government, universities, religions, businesses, and really all institutions in the UK. Everything is male dominated. You could argue this is because women just don't like having power, but I somehow find that hard to believe. I think most raging misogynists on here would also disagree with the notion that women don't like power.

But again you turn a good news story into a male v female issue. You really, really have some issues old boy.
From my own research (i've done a fair bit) i cannot find much evidence of male domination that has arisen for contemporary reasons. That is to say, yes, the heads of many organisations are male, but that is because those males have more experience than women, who have either (a) taken career breaks for one reason or another (child rearing) or (b) started their careers at a time when there was a glass ceiling.
I think we will see a very noticeable change in the ratio over the next ten years or so as the "next batch" will contain both male and female members. I am not sure that we will ever see a 50/50 ratio of men and women in top jobs. By the time most men reach those lofty positions, they are in their late 50s and have 30+ years of experience. A woman in her late 50s will (more often than not) have taken 2-3 years or more away from her career to raise children and, very probably, worked less overtime during the years when she has had young children.
I think its important to recognise that there are valid reasons why half the seats in the boardroom are not taken up by women; i really do not think it is true to say that it is because of prejudice. Similiarly, positive discrimination has no place in what i genuinely believe is a meritocracy (finally).
As for Miss Weymouth, i agree, its a harmless bit of fun.
[quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sigurd Hoeberth[/bold] wrote: If we had a competition for an individual to allegedly , "represent the town" and ban all women from it. Do you think that would be right, tolerated or acceptable? Maybe someone can answer that without infantile shaming language and crude remarks? Funny when we had this conversation last year, they said they would look into my suggestions, I suggested that if you are going to claim to, "represent the town" then it should be a competition of both genders encompassing proper merits. How far have they got in that? Will the next competition find young men to compete and hold it, not on any meaningless physical attributes but on knowledge, experience, qualification etc? At least then it would be less of a fraud and not make women look stupid and needing to cheat, while exercising the equality many of them call for when they want something to go there way or when it is convenient to them? It would not be an issue if they did not claim, "to represent the town" because that is a blatant lie. when you ban half of them from the opportunity to do so.[/p][/quote]You really are burning your bra today Sig! Does your equality extend to all parts of life? Equal pay in the workplace without 'glass ceiling's' or patronising pay systems that discriminate against females? Let's see, are there any religions where men aren't allowed to be leaders? No. Are there any countries where men cannot vote because they are men? No. Are there any countries where men cannot drive or leave the house without a female companion? No. Look at our government, universities, religions, businesses, and really all institutions in the UK. Everything is male dominated. You could argue this is because women just don't like having power, but I somehow find that hard to believe. I think most raging misogynists on here would also disagree with the notion that women don't like power. But again you turn a good news story into a male v female issue. You really, really have some issues old boy.[/p][/quote]From my own research (i've done a fair bit) i cannot find much evidence of male domination that has arisen for contemporary reasons. That is to say, yes, the heads of many organisations are male, but that is because those males have more experience than women, who have either (a) taken career breaks for one reason or another (child rearing) or (b) started their careers at a time when there was a glass ceiling. I think we will see a very noticeable change in the ratio over the next ten years or so as the "next batch" will contain both male and female members. I am not sure that we will ever see a 50/50 ratio of men and women in top jobs. By the time most men reach those lofty positions, they are in their late 50s and have 30+ years of experience. A woman in her late 50s will (more often than not) have taken 2-3 years or more away from her career to raise children and, very probably, worked less overtime during the years when she has had young children. I think its important to recognise that there are valid reasons why half the seats in the boardroom are not taken up by women; i really do not think it is true to say that it is because of prejudice. Similiarly, positive discrimination has no place in what i genuinely believe is a meritocracy (finally). As for Miss Weymouth, i agree, its a harmless bit of fun. JamesYoung
  • Score: 5

8:57am Mon 28 Apr 14

Parkstreetshufle says...

I've seen much better looking Carnival queens. I'm sure she is a lovely person but in a competition based purely on how attractive someone is...
I've seen much better looking Carnival queens. I'm sure she is a lovely person but in a competition based purely on how attractive someone is... Parkstreetshufle
  • Score: -2

11:05am Mon 28 Apr 14

societies-a-joke says...

It's lucky they don't have both genders because if they did someone like you could have been put forward a narrow minded argumentative being who clearly has massive psychological issues and is clearly jealous and out to spoil someone else's glory...
If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all stop trying to sabotage other people achievements

Ps well done Emma don't let people like this make you feel any less about what you have achieved
It's lucky they don't have both genders because if they did someone like you could have been put forward a narrow minded argumentative being who clearly has massive psychological issues and is clearly jealous and out to spoil someone else's glory... If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all stop trying to sabotage other people achievements Ps well done Emma don't let people like this make you feel any less about what you have achieved societies-a-joke
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree