Drugs warning after student nearly dies from taking mescaline bought online

ONLINE DANGER: Mum and son wish to remain anonymous

ONLINE DANGER: Mum and son wish to remain anonymous

First published in News
Last updated
by

A MOTHER has warned students not to repeat her son’s mistake after he almost died from taking a hallucinogenic drug bought off the internet.

The 18-year-old, from Dorchester, who is recovering at home after being treated in hospital, is now waiting to be quizzed by police and faces disciplinary action by his university.

He was one of three University of Chichester students rushed to hospital after taking the drug mescaline purchased online.

His mum, who wishes to remain anonymous, says her son ‘deeply regrets’ his actions and doesn’t want anyone to repeat them.

She said: “Getting the call to say he was convulsing was every parents’ nightmare.

“My son was in hospital for 24 hours; luckily there was no lasting damage but he couldn’t walk upstairs until four days later.

“They all could have died.

“When you buy something like that off the internet, you don’t know what you’re getting. Why they did, I have no idea.

“But what’s done is done and he is really sorry, but he nearly killed himself.”

Emergency services were alerted to student accommodation in the West Sussex city when the trio complained of feeling unwell.

The university said the men ‘owe their lives’ to medics and university staff who were called to their aid.

The Dorchester student’s mother added: “The medical staff were absolutely amazing. My son is lucky to be alive.

“Not only is taking these drugs dangerous, it is illegal.

“We don’t want other children or parents to go through the same thing.

“Every parent I’ve spoken to has said a phone call like that is the one thing they all dread.”

She said the varying reactions all three students had to the drug further shows why taking it is so dangerous.

She added: “You might think you’re just going to have a trip, but the reality is you could die.”

A 21 year-old student, who was one of the three hospitalised, has since been arrested on suspicion of possession of a Class A drug, supplying a Class A drug, two counts of possession of Class B drugs and permitting use of premises for supplying a Class A drug.

He has been bailed until July.

He has been suspended from studies for misconduct and the 18- year-old from Dorchester along with a 20 year-old student will also be subject to disciplinary action.

Drugs advice service FRANK describes mescaline as a hallucinogenic drug deriving from the Peyote cactus and other plant family members and users may suffer vomiting, headaches and feelings of anxiety.
In the UK, mescaline in purified powder form is a class A drug, however, the dried cactus can be bought and sold legally.
University vice-chancellor Professor Clive Behagg said: “These three students are lucky to have survived. They owe their lives to the intervention of the university support staff, the police and paramedic services, and the skills of the medical teams at St. Richard’s Hospital, for which I am deeply grateful.”
The Echo reported last week how Weymouth father Daniel Batchelor, 34, took an accidental overdose of a pain relief drug he bought online.
His fiancée warned more must be done to raise awareness of the dangers of drugs bought online.

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:55pm Tue 3 Jun 14

ildd says...

What an idiot. And being 18 is no excuse. I hope he and his equally idiotic friends make a VERY substantial donation to the emergency services to go some small way to repaying the money that will have been spent on them.
What an idiot. And being 18 is no excuse. I hope he and his equally idiotic friends make a VERY substantial donation to the emergency services to go some small way to repaying the money that will have been spent on them. ildd
  • Score: -2

5:26pm Tue 3 Jun 14

westbaywonder says...

Another knob,mother sounds about half soaked too.
Another knob,mother sounds about half soaked too. westbaywonder
  • Score: -10

5:39pm Tue 3 Jun 14

FreddyF says...

Mescaline is a very old and well understood drug. It does not have the effects described in this article. I suspect the facts either haven't been fully investigated or are being misreported. As usual, everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to send a "drugs are bad" message whilst ruining this guys life even more with stupid and unecessary punity sanctions.
Mescaline is a very old and well understood drug. It does not have the effects described in this article. I suspect the facts either haven't been fully investigated or are being misreported. As usual, everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to send a "drugs are bad" message whilst ruining this guys life even more with stupid and unecessary punity sanctions. FreddyF
  • Score: 8

6:49pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Mango man says...

Another child of supposed intellect let loose on his own with equally stupid mates. I hope this experience will have taught him a lesson although as soon as he's back at Uni I dare say it'll all be forgotten and written off as a good laugh. Maybe if these morons parents were made responsible for their children's actions until they leave full time education there would be less of these incidents thus allowing medical staff to concentrate on proper emergencies!
Another child of supposed intellect let loose on his own with equally stupid mates. I hope this experience will have taught him a lesson although as soon as he's back at Uni I dare say it'll all be forgotten and written off as a good laugh. Maybe if these morons parents were made responsible for their children's actions until they leave full time education there would be less of these incidents thus allowing medical staff to concentrate on proper emergencies! Mango man
  • Score: -13

10:11pm Tue 3 Jun 14

cj07589 says...

FreddyF wrote:
Mescaline is a very old and well understood drug. It does not have the effects described in this article. I suspect the facts either haven't been fully investigated or are being misreported. As usual, everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to send a "drugs are bad" message whilst ruining this guys life even more with stupid and unecessary punity sanctions.
Well said demonising it is very unhelpful, moral of the story is don't buy stuff off the web and don't take risks by consuming unknown substances.
[quote][p][bold]FreddyF[/bold] wrote: Mescaline is a very old and well understood drug. It does not have the effects described in this article. I suspect the facts either haven't been fully investigated or are being misreported. As usual, everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to send a "drugs are bad" message whilst ruining this guys life even more with stupid and unecessary punity sanctions.[/p][/quote]Well said demonising it is very unhelpful, moral of the story is don't buy stuff off the web and don't take risks by consuming unknown substances. cj07589
  • Score: 4

10:47pm Tue 3 Jun 14

kommentin says...

I love mescaline; it's great, I do it all the time. You just have to know where you're getting it from and know your limits. I just get it straight from the cactus, so I'm not even breaking the law! Love it!
I love mescaline; it's great, I do it all the time. You just have to know where you're getting it from and know your limits. I just get it straight from the cactus, so I'm not even breaking the law! Love it! kommentin
  • Score: -2

10:57pm Tue 3 Jun 14

BridportWondered says...

kommentin wrote:
I love mescaline; it's great, I do it all the time. You just have to know where you're getting it from and know your limits. I just get it straight from the cactus, so I'm not even breaking the law! Love it!
How can you say something like that, we all know drugs are bad, they are the work of the devil, just like dem foreigners coming over ere.
[quote][p][bold]kommentin[/bold] wrote: I love mescaline; it's great, I do it all the time. You just have to know where you're getting it from and know your limits. I just get it straight from the cactus, so I'm not even breaking the law! Love it![/p][/quote]How can you say something like that, we all know drugs are bad, they are the work of the devil, just like dem foreigners coming over ere. BridportWondered
  • Score: -4

3:57am Wed 4 Jun 14

westbaywonder says...

BridportWondered wrote:
kommentin wrote:
I love mescaline; it's great, I do it all the time. You just have to know where you're getting it from and know your limits. I just get it straight from the cactus, so I'm not even breaking the law! Love it!
How can you say something like that, we all know drugs are bad, they are the work of the devil, just like dem foreigners coming over ere.
Very good, four cans of Special Brew and you would be on your arse screaming for an ambulance no doubt.
Drugs are cool,what a sad society we live in, Mother and son ashamed of themselves and idiots coming on here "bigging it all up"
Sad very sad, is this what we fought for?
[quote][p][bold]BridportWondered[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kommentin[/bold] wrote: I love mescaline; it's great, I do it all the time. You just have to know where you're getting it from and know your limits. I just get it straight from the cactus, so I'm not even breaking the law! Love it![/p][/quote]How can you say something like that, we all know drugs are bad, they are the work of the devil, just like dem foreigners coming over ere.[/p][/quote]Very good, four cans of Special Brew and you would be on your arse screaming for an ambulance no doubt. Drugs are cool,what a sad society we live in, Mother and son ashamed of themselves and idiots coming on here "bigging it all up" Sad very sad, is this what we fought for? westbaywonder
  • Score: 1

9:43am Wed 4 Jun 14

Hay Bale says...

being a mother of 6, i can honestly say that this was only god awful parenting. I would never let my child touch a stinging nettle let alone a cactus!!!! and how on earth did they get one here i thougt they only grew in deserts? hmm crazyworld i guess, i need a cuppa hehehe x
being a mother of 6, i can honestly say that this was only god awful parenting. I would never let my child touch a stinging nettle let alone a cactus!!!! and how on earth did they get one here i thougt they only grew in deserts? hmm crazyworld i guess, i need a cuppa hehehe x Hay Bale
  • Score: 1

11:25am Wed 4 Jun 14

kommentin says...

westbaywonder wrote:
BridportWondered wrote:
kommentin wrote:
I love mescaline; it's great, I do it all the time. You just have to know where you're getting it from and know your limits. I just get it straight from the cactus, so I'm not even breaking the law! Love it!
How can you say something like that, we all know drugs are bad, they are the work of the devil, just like dem foreigners coming over ere.
Very good, four cans of Special Brew and you would be on your arse screaming for an ambulance no doubt.
Drugs are cool,what a sad society we live in, Mother and son ashamed of themselves and idiots coming on here "bigging it all up"
Sad very sad, is this what we fought for?
I imagine you've never tried the old mescalizze ma nizzle. I suppose you have better things to do – like spend your days (well, 4 in the morning...) leaving sanctimonious comments on a regional newspaper website, no doubt. I didn't say I do mescaline because it's cool; I do mescaline because it enhances my sensory perception in a way that no other substance on this earth ever could. Like I said, I just like chew straight on the old cactus – pins and all – so I'm not even breaking any laws. In that sense, yes: this is indeed what 'you' fought for. The right for individual freedom; freedom to do with ones body what one wishes, free from authoritarian persecution, or demonisation by nostalgic keyboard warriors whom can find nothing better to do with themselves than comment on the internet condemning the choices of others. You pathetic, sad creature.
[quote][p][bold]westbaywonder[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BridportWondered[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kommentin[/bold] wrote: I love mescaline; it's great, I do it all the time. You just have to know where you're getting it from and know your limits. I just get it straight from the cactus, so I'm not even breaking the law! Love it![/p][/quote]How can you say something like that, we all know drugs are bad, they are the work of the devil, just like dem foreigners coming over ere.[/p][/quote]Very good, four cans of Special Brew and you would be on your arse screaming for an ambulance no doubt. Drugs are cool,what a sad society we live in, Mother and son ashamed of themselves and idiots coming on here "bigging it all up" Sad very sad, is this what we fought for?[/p][/quote]I imagine you've never tried the old mescalizze ma nizzle. I suppose you have better things to do – like spend your days (well, 4 in the morning...) leaving sanctimonious comments on a regional newspaper website, no doubt. I didn't say I do mescaline because it's cool; I do mescaline because it enhances my sensory perception in a way that no other substance on this earth ever could. Like I said, I just like chew straight on the old cactus – pins and all – so I'm not even breaking any laws. In that sense, yes: this is indeed what 'you' fought for. The right for individual freedom; freedom to do with ones body what one wishes, free from authoritarian persecution, or demonisation by nostalgic keyboard warriors whom can find nothing better to do with themselves than comment on the internet condemning the choices of others. You pathetic, sad creature. kommentin
  • Score: 2

11:31am Wed 4 Jun 14

BridportWondered says...

kommentin wrote:
westbaywonder wrote:
BridportWondered wrote:
kommentin wrote:
I love mescaline; it's great, I do it all the time. You just have to know where you're getting it from and know your limits. I just get it straight from the cactus, so I'm not even breaking the law! Love it!
How can you say something like that, we all know drugs are bad, they are the work of the devil, just like dem foreigners coming over ere.
Very good, four cans of Special Brew and you would be on your arse screaming for an ambulance no doubt.
Drugs are cool,what a sad society we live in, Mother and son ashamed of themselves and idiots coming on here "bigging it all up"
Sad very sad, is this what we fought for?
I imagine you've never tried the old mescalizze ma nizzle. I suppose you have better things to do – like spend your days (well, 4 in the morning...) leaving sanctimonious comments on a regional newspaper website, no doubt. I didn't say I do mescaline because it's cool; I do mescaline because it enhances my sensory perception in a way that no other substance on this earth ever could. Like I said, I just like chew straight on the old cactus – pins and all – so I'm not even breaking any laws. In that sense, yes: this is indeed what 'you' fought for. The right for individual freedom; freedom to do with ones body what one wishes, free from authoritarian persecution, or demonisation by nostalgic keyboard warriors whom can find nothing better to do with themselves than comment on the internet condemning the choices of others. You pathetic, sad creature.
honestly mate, you should be at work at this time, you have obviously been chewing to many cactus's to work so now your at home living on benefits, absolutely PATHETIC. your the reason why society is going down the drain. you and your liberal ideas about freedom. Vote UKIP, they will stop people like you.
[quote][p][bold]kommentin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]westbaywonder[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BridportWondered[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kommentin[/bold] wrote: I love mescaline; it's great, I do it all the time. You just have to know where you're getting it from and know your limits. I just get it straight from the cactus, so I'm not even breaking the law! Love it![/p][/quote]How can you say something like that, we all know drugs are bad, they are the work of the devil, just like dem foreigners coming over ere.[/p][/quote]Very good, four cans of Special Brew and you would be on your arse screaming for an ambulance no doubt. Drugs are cool,what a sad society we live in, Mother and son ashamed of themselves and idiots coming on here "bigging it all up" Sad very sad, is this what we fought for?[/p][/quote]I imagine you've never tried the old mescalizze ma nizzle. I suppose you have better things to do – like spend your days (well, 4 in the morning...) leaving sanctimonious comments on a regional newspaper website, no doubt. I didn't say I do mescaline because it's cool; I do mescaline because it enhances my sensory perception in a way that no other substance on this earth ever could. Like I said, I just like chew straight on the old cactus – pins and all – so I'm not even breaking any laws. In that sense, yes: this is indeed what 'you' fought for. The right for individual freedom; freedom to do with ones body what one wishes, free from authoritarian persecution, or demonisation by nostalgic keyboard warriors whom can find nothing better to do with themselves than comment on the internet condemning the choices of others. You pathetic, sad creature.[/p][/quote]honestly mate, you should be at work at this time, you have obviously been chewing to many cactus's to work so now your at home living on benefits, absolutely PATHETIC. your the reason why society is going down the drain. you and your liberal ideas about freedom. Vote UKIP, they will stop people like you. BridportWondered
  • Score: -2

12:30pm Thu 5 Jun 14

elloello1980 says...

look at all the squares here.. I do what the system tells me to do..

get off the PC, live a little, you may even enjoy yourself ;)
look at all the squares here.. I do what the system tells me to do.. get off the PC, live a little, you may even enjoy yourself ;) elloello1980
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree