A FIRE at flats on Westmacott Road in Weymouth has caused severe damage.

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service was called to the blaze at 1.48am this morning, which had started in an airing cupboard in a flat on the first floor.

Two crews from Weymouth attended to battle the blaze, which is thought to have been triggered by an electrical fault.

The airing cupboard was ruined in the blaze, and Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said that 60 per cent of the first floor of the complex was “severely damaged” by the blaze.

The fire was extinguished using two hose reel jets and four breathing apparatus.

More to follow.