Coastguards rescued a man who had fallen 30 foot down a cliff at Durdle Door and helped recover a body on a busy day for the rescue service.

Just after 7.30am Portland Coastguards received an emergency call from a yacht that had broken down inside Poole Harbour.

The 34ft yacht, called Janitha, had six people on board and was assisted onto a swing mooring by two other yachts.

The skipper then managed to fix the problem, which was a blocked engine.

At 8.39am, Portland Coastguards tasked the coastguard rescue team in Brixham to assist Devon Police and Exmouth inshore lifeboat after a report of a suicidal man in the water near Orcombe Point.

The man was clear of the water before coastguards arrived.

Just after 11.30am, coastguards attended the scene after reports of a body at the base of Ballard Point Cliffs in Swanage.

Swanage Coastguard Rescue and Swanage RNLI Inshore were tasked during the search, in support of Dorset police, and the boat located the body.

The body was recovered and taken ashore to be met by police and ambulance.

Although formal identification has yet to take place, the family of missing pensioner William Haines has been informed of the development.

Coastguard assistance was requested by the South West Ambulance Service to help locate a casualty on a coastal path.

The incident happened at 2.12pm near Worth Matravers, and St Albans Coastguard Rescue officers attended the scene, and helped transfer the patient back up the track to the land ambulance waiting on the road.

Just after 4pm, a 34 foot yacht called Running Wild with two people on board was towed back into Weymouth harbour after its steering failed off Ringstead Ledges.

Portland Coastguards requested assistance from nearby vessels, and a motor boat called Bossy Boots helped guide the yacht back to safety.

At 6.25pm, coastguards received a 999 call that a man had fallen down the cliff near Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove.

Lulworth and Wyke Coastguard Rescue Teams attended the incident and found that a man had fallen 30 foot down the 100 foot cliff face, and had landed on a ledge.

The man was swiftly rescued by the teams and did not require medical attention having suffered only minor cuts and bruises.

At 9.46pm, a member of the public made a 999 call after becoming concerned for the safety of a small boat in possible difficulties off Boscombe Pier in Bournemouth.

Portland Coastguards tasked Southbourne Coastguard Rescue officers and Mudeford RNLI to attend and on scene, found a dinghy with one occupant.

The man in the dinghy assured the crew he was fine, but was escorted back to shore by the lifeboat and given safety advice by coastguards.