When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Plan for four isle homes gets go ahead
9:58am Thursday 26th June 2014 in News
COUNCILLORS have approved four new homes for Portland.
Weymouth and Portland Borough Council’s planning and traffic committee voted to approve the application to build the new detached houses and garages on land in Reforne.
A number of councillors and residents spoke against the development at the meeting, arguing that the residents around the area would be overlooked and there would be an impact on wildlife including hedgehogs.
They heard a petition against the development had been received with 45 signatures on it.
Cllr David Hawkins spoke at the meeting and urged councillors to refuse the application.
Cllr Ray Nowak said: “There’s a plethora of wildlife there that will be threatened.”
Resident Heather Round spoke on behalf of the residents. She asked councillors how they would feel if a development was built at the bottom of their gardens. She said: “What you decide today we will have to live with forever.”
But councillors heard plans were in place to protect wildlife and install features like obscured glazing and that there was no objections to the plans on highways grounds from Dorset County Council.
Councillors said they were surprised they were only discussing an application for four houses rather than more.
Cllr Margaret Leicester said: “I can’t see how we can possibly refuse it under planning regulations.”
Councillors approved the application by a vote of seven to two.
Comments are closed on this article.