Sculptures damaged in Portland quarry

Sculptures damaged in Portland quarry

Sculptures damaged in Portland quarry

First published in News
Last updated

POLICE are hunting vandals who damaged Portland’s quarry sculptures.

Dorset Police were called at 5.13pm on Saturday, August 9 to a report of criminal damage to the stone sculptures at Bowers Quarry on the Island.

Police are currently investigating.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:08pm Mon 11 Aug 14

southwellman says...

Ummm.. OK so someone went to a rock and carved an image in to it.. but its a rock in a disused quarry.. perhaps it was artistic, prehaps it was critical.. but I cannot see how it was vandals.. I mean its not as if Portland is short of rocks wannabe artist can smash up now is it!
Ummm.. OK so someone went to a rock and carved an image in to it.. but its a rock in a disused quarry.. perhaps it was artistic, prehaps it was critical.. but I cannot see how it was vandals.. I mean its not as if Portland is short of rocks wannabe artist can smash up now is it! southwellman
  • Score: -17

6:50pm Mon 11 Aug 14

every user name was taken says...

southwellman wrote:
Ummm.. OK so someone went to a rock and carved an image in to it.. but its a rock in a disused quarry.. perhaps it was artistic, prehaps it was critical.. but I cannot see how it was vandals.. I mean its not as if Portland is short of rocks wannabe artist can smash up now is it!
What an ignorant comment, when I am on leave I will often walk through these quarry's and invariably there are plenty of people admiring the sculptures and the artists while they work. A lot of hard work goes into these works. If you can not see how it was vandals then maybe you need to climb down from the clouds that you are living in.
[quote][p][bold]southwellman[/bold] wrote: Ummm.. OK so someone went to a rock and carved an image in to it.. but its a rock in a disused quarry.. perhaps it was artistic, prehaps it was critical.. but I cannot see how it was vandals.. I mean its not as if Portland is short of rocks wannabe artist can smash up now is it![/p][/quote]What an ignorant comment, when I am on leave I will often walk through these quarry's and invariably there are plenty of people admiring the sculptures and the artists while they work. A lot of hard work goes into these works. If you can not see how it was vandals then maybe you need to climb down from the clouds that you are living in. every user name was taken
  • Score: 13

7:25pm Mon 11 Aug 14

Rocksalt says...

every user name was taken wrote:
southwellman wrote:
Ummm.. OK so someone went to a rock and carved an image in to it.. but its a rock in a disused quarry.. perhaps it was artistic, prehaps it was critical.. but I cannot see how it was vandals.. I mean its not as if Portland is short of rocks wannabe artist can smash up now is it!
What an ignorant comment, when I am on leave I will often walk through these quarry's and invariably there are plenty of people admiring the sculptures and the artists while they work. A lot of hard work goes into these works. If you can not see how it was vandals then maybe you need to climb down from the clouds that you are living in.
I quite agree. It was one of the more witless remarks I have read on here recently.
[quote][p][bold]every user name was taken[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southwellman[/bold] wrote: Ummm.. OK so someone went to a rock and carved an image in to it.. but its a rock in a disused quarry.. perhaps it was artistic, prehaps it was critical.. but I cannot see how it was vandals.. I mean its not as if Portland is short of rocks wannabe artist can smash up now is it![/p][/quote]What an ignorant comment, when I am on leave I will often walk through these quarry's and invariably there are plenty of people admiring the sculptures and the artists while they work. A lot of hard work goes into these works. If you can not see how it was vandals then maybe you need to climb down from the clouds that you are living in.[/p][/quote]I quite agree. It was one of the more witless remarks I have read on here recently. Rocksalt
  • Score: 9

5:05am Tue 12 Aug 14

southwellman says...

every user name was taken wrote:
southwellman wrote:
Ummm.. OK so someone went to a rock and carved an image in to it.. but its a rock in a disused quarry.. perhaps it was artistic, prehaps it was critical.. but I cannot see how it was vandals.. I mean its not as if Portland is short of rocks wannabe artist can smash up now is it!
What an ignorant comment, when I am on leave I will often walk through these quarry's and invariably there are plenty of people admiring the sculptures and the artists while they work. A lot of hard work goes into these works. If you can not see how it was vandals then maybe you need to climb down from the clouds that you are living in.
When I am on leave I avoid the place as its often full of dog do do.... but see your point... Now lets take a look at the venus de malo.. that had a vandal during times past and it has made the statue a whole lot better.. they even took off its winkie... and it is now worth millions.. because of that vandle
[quote][p][bold]every user name was taken[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southwellman[/bold] wrote: Ummm.. OK so someone went to a rock and carved an image in to it.. but its a rock in a disused quarry.. perhaps it was artistic, prehaps it was critical.. but I cannot see how it was vandals.. I mean its not as if Portland is short of rocks wannabe artist can smash up now is it![/p][/quote]What an ignorant comment, when I am on leave I will often walk through these quarry's and invariably there are plenty of people admiring the sculptures and the artists while they work. A lot of hard work goes into these works. If you can not see how it was vandals then maybe you need to climb down from the clouds that you are living in.[/p][/quote]When I am on leave I avoid the place as its often full of dog do do.... but see your point... Now lets take a look at the venus de malo.. that had a vandal during times past and it has made the statue a whole lot better.. they even took off its winkie... and it is now worth millions.. because of that vandle southwellman
  • Score: -9

6:59am Tue 12 Aug 14

Rocksalt says...

southwellman wrote:
every user name was taken wrote:
southwellman wrote:
Ummm.. OK so someone went to a rock and carved an image in to it.. but its a rock in a disused quarry.. perhaps it was artistic, prehaps it was critical.. but I cannot see how it was vandals.. I mean its not as if Portland is short of rocks wannabe artist can smash up now is it!
What an ignorant comment, when I am on leave I will often walk through these quarry's and invariably there are plenty of people admiring the sculptures and the artists while they work. A lot of hard work goes into these works. If you can not see how it was vandals then maybe you need to climb down from the clouds that you are living in.
When I am on leave I avoid the place as its often full of dog do do.... but see your point... Now lets take a look at the venus de malo.. that had a vandal during times past and it has made the statue a whole lot better.. they even took off its winkie... and it is now worth millions.. because of that vandle
Right, by that logic we should nip to the Spirit of Portland statue this morning and chop the arms off of both figures. That will be presumably be a big improvement.
[quote][p][bold]southwellman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]every user name was taken[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southwellman[/bold] wrote: Ummm.. OK so someone went to a rock and carved an image in to it.. but its a rock in a disused quarry.. perhaps it was artistic, prehaps it was critical.. but I cannot see how it was vandals.. I mean its not as if Portland is short of rocks wannabe artist can smash up now is it![/p][/quote]What an ignorant comment, when I am on leave I will often walk through these quarry's and invariably there are plenty of people admiring the sculptures and the artists while they work. A lot of hard work goes into these works. If you can not see how it was vandals then maybe you need to climb down from the clouds that you are living in.[/p][/quote]When I am on leave I avoid the place as its often full of dog do do.... but see your point... Now lets take a look at the venus de malo.. that had a vandal during times past and it has made the statue a whole lot better.. they even took off its winkie... and it is now worth millions.. because of that vandle[/p][/quote]Right, by that logic we should nip to the Spirit of Portland statue this morning and chop the arms off of both figures. That will be presumably be a big improvement. Rocksalt
  • Score: 6

11:05am Tue 12 Aug 14

February1948 says...

Rocksalt wrote:
southwellman wrote:
every user name was taken wrote:
southwellman wrote: Ummm.. OK so someone went to a rock and carved an image in to it.. but its a rock in a disused quarry.. perhaps it was artistic, prehaps it was critical.. but I cannot see how it was vandals.. I mean its not as if Portland is short of rocks wannabe artist can smash up now is it!
What an ignorant comment, when I am on leave I will often walk through these quarry's and invariably there are plenty of people admiring the sculptures and the artists while they work. A lot of hard work goes into these works. If you can not see how it was vandals then maybe you need to climb down from the clouds that you are living in.
When I am on leave I avoid the place as its often full of dog do do.... but see your point... Now lets take a look at the venus de malo.. that had a vandal during times past and it has made the statue a whole lot better.. they even took off its winkie... and it is now worth millions.. because of that vandle
Right, by that logic we should nip to the Spirit of Portland statue this morning and chop the arms off of both figures. That will be presumably be a big improvement.
As the Venus de Milo was and still is female, it would not have the appendage referred to.
I do feel sorry for Portland. The more it does to attract people to that lovely isle, the more damage a very small minority of its inhabitants seek to do.
[quote][p][bold]Rocksalt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southwellman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]every user name was taken[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southwellman[/bold] wrote: Ummm.. OK so someone went to a rock and carved an image in to it.. but its a rock in a disused quarry.. perhaps it was artistic, prehaps it was critical.. but I cannot see how it was vandals.. I mean its not as if Portland is short of rocks wannabe artist can smash up now is it![/p][/quote]What an ignorant comment, when I am on leave I will often walk through these quarry's and invariably there are plenty of people admiring the sculptures and the artists while they work. A lot of hard work goes into these works. If you can not see how it was vandals then maybe you need to climb down from the clouds that you are living in.[/p][/quote]When I am on leave I avoid the place as its often full of dog do do.... but see your point... Now lets take a look at the venus de malo.. that had a vandal during times past and it has made the statue a whole lot better.. they even took off its winkie... and it is now worth millions.. because of that vandle[/p][/quote]Right, by that logic we should nip to the Spirit of Portland statue this morning and chop the arms off of both figures. That will be presumably be a big improvement.[/p][/quote]As the Venus de Milo was and still is female, it would not have the appendage referred to. I do feel sorry for Portland. The more it does to attract people to that lovely isle, the more damage a very small minority of its inhabitants seek to do. February1948
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree