Campaigners hold a beach day as part of ongoing battle

Campaigners hold a beach day as part of ongoing battle

Castle Cove Beach in Weymouth

Campaigner Steve Elsworth

First published in News Dorset Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Reporter

CAMPAIGNERS will hold a beach day as part of their ongoing fight to get Castle Cove Beach reopened.

On Sunday, August 31, from 1pm, campaigners with the newly formed Friends of Castle Cove Beach, will hold the Big Picnic, Beach Clean and Sandcastle Competition on the beach.

Everyone is encouraged to come down and show their support.

The access to the beach will be along the shore from Sandsfoot Beach at low tide.

People are being warned not to use the footpath from Old Castle Road which has subsided.

Earlier this year, campaigners delivered a petition to Weymouth and Portland Borough Council asking them to look at ways to reopen the beach to the public.

But councillors decided not to take the request for action any further.

The fun day will see everyone helping out on the beach clean and visitors are advised to bring gloves and litter pickers, as well as blankets, picnics and buckets and spades to get involved.

Campaigner Clare Sutton said that sand artist Mark Anderson would be at the day creating some sculptures and judging the sand castle competition.

She said they were ‘thrilled’ he could join them and said a huge thank you to the organisers.

Steve Elsworth from the Friends group said the beach had been used historically for 77 years and had a historical right of access.

He said: “It would be a shame to close it down, after so many councils have supported it in the past.”

He added that the group was ‘not looking for a fight,’ but just wanted to find a solution.

He added: “We are willing to work with the council and land owners to get our beach back.”

Mr Elsworth posted a picture of his son Joe, enjoying the beach in 1991 on the group’s new Facebook page and an international authors’ website.

Within 48 hours Mr Elsworth said he had received messages of support from as far away as Argentina, Mexico and Canada.

He said: “People around the world are responding because they believe in public access to beaches. The public have been using Castle Cove Beach since Weymouth and Melcombe Regis Council built the steps in 1936.

“It’s a shame that so many councils have supported the steps, and they were taken away in 2013 – after 77 years.”

After a recent public meeting a steering group was set up to work on the campaign.

Join the group’s page on Facebook by searching for Friends of Castle Cove Beach.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:03am Tue 26 Aug 14

The Fish says...

How are you getting to the beach at the moment?
How are you getting to the beach at the moment? The Fish
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree