Red Kate has taken the Wyke Regis seat

First published in News by

KATE Wheller has won the Wyke Regis by election in Weymouth for the Labour Party.

She gained 579 votes to beat Helen Mary Glavin of the Conservative Party, who received 486 votes.

Trefor Morgan, of the Liberal Democrats, received 268 votes and Richard Denton–White of the Citizen's Action Party got 111 votes.

The by election was held after the death of former Conservative councillor Doug Hollings earlier this year.

A total of 1445 ballot papers were issued. The turnout was 33.37 per cent.

Comments (46)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:08pm Fri 11 Dec 09

staffs says...

It still amazes me the stupidty of some people.

For the last 12 years labour have utterly destroyed this country and her image in the eyes of the world.

And yet, people are still happy to vote them in and let them do it.
It still amazes me the stupidty of some people. For the last 12 years labour have utterly destroyed this country and her image in the eyes of the world. And yet, people are still happy to vote them in and let them do it. staffs
  • Score: 0

2:10pm Fri 11 Dec 09

585 says...

This means that although more voted against her than for her, she still got the seat.
This means that although more voted against her than for her, she still got the seat. 585
  • Score: 0

2:24pm Fri 11 Dec 09

biggestoaf says...

Oh dear, Staffs.
Perhaps people aren't as stupid as you assume? Perhaps they were capable of working out that the best person to represent them was someone who actually lives in Wyke Regis and has a proven record as a hard working and effective local representative?
On a national level the Labour government has radically improved public services in this country - try to remember what a mess our schools and hospitals were in during the 80's and 90's when they were seriously underfunded by the Conservatives in order to pay for tax cuts. The current economic problems have been caused by the greed of the idiot bankers - I doubt whether they vote Labour!
As for Britain's image I think Gordon Brown has earned a great deal of respect around the world for the decisive action he has taken to try and deal with the mess created by Cameron's rich banking buddies.
Oh dear, Staffs. Perhaps people aren't as stupid as you assume? Perhaps they were capable of working out that the best person to represent them was someone who actually lives in Wyke Regis and has a proven record as a hard working and effective local representative? On a national level the Labour government has radically improved public services in this country - try to remember what a mess our schools and hospitals were in during the 80's and 90's when they were seriously underfunded by the Conservatives in order to pay for tax cuts. The current economic problems have been caused by the greed of the idiot bankers - I doubt whether they vote Labour! As for Britain's image I think Gordon Brown has earned a great deal of respect around the world for the decisive action he has taken to try and deal with the mess created by Cameron's rich banking buddies. biggestoaf
  • Score: 0

2:28pm Fri 11 Dec 09

TurnerDigital says...

staffs wrote:
It still amazes me the stupidty of some people.

For the last 12 years labour have utterly destroyed this country and her image in the eyes of the world.

And yet, people are still happy to vote them in and let them do it.
@ Staffs. How exactly have New Labour "utterly destroyed" this country? Is the Echo website next to the Daily Mail website in your favourites?
[quote][p][bold]staffs[/bold] wrote: It still amazes me the stupidty of some people. For the last 12 years labour have utterly destroyed this country and her image in the eyes of the world. And yet, people are still happy to vote them in and let them do it.[/p][/quote]@ Staffs. How exactly have New Labour "utterly destroyed" this country? Is the Echo website next to the Daily Mail website in your favourites? TurnerDigital
  • Score: 0

3:13pm Fri 11 Dec 09

popup says...

staffs wrote:
It still amazes me the stupidty of some people. For the last 12 years labour have utterly destroyed this country and her image in the eyes of the world. And yet, people are still happy to vote them in and let them do it.
The trouble is staffs you seem to have a very short or selective memory, if you care to think back a little or even have a read of our recent history you will find that the Conservatives have done more harm to this country than Hitler could have hoped to achieve. It was the Tories that thought it would be a good idea to sell of council houses for next to nothing, it was the Tories who sold off every asset we had in terms of industry, the damage they done is the reason we are in such a state today. But the local elections are a different matter altogether and the people of Wyke have as is their right voted for the person who they think is going to do the best job for them and to call them stupid is not only offensive but also highlights your own ignorance and understanding of politics at either a local or a national level.
[quote][p][bold]staffs[/bold] wrote: It still amazes me the stupidty of some people. For the last 12 years labour have utterly destroyed this country and her image in the eyes of the world. And yet, people are still happy to vote them in and let them do it.[/p][/quote]The trouble is staffs you seem to have a very short or selective memory, if you care to think back a little or even have a read of our recent history you will find that the Conservatives have done more harm to this country than Hitler could have hoped to achieve. It was the Tories that thought it would be a good idea to sell of council houses for next to nothing, it was the Tories who sold off every asset we had in terms of industry, the damage they done is the reason we are in such a state today. But the local elections are a different matter altogether and the people of Wyke have as is their right voted for the person who they think is going to do the best job for them and to call them stupid is not only offensive but also highlights your own ignorance and understanding of politics at either a local or a national level. popup
  • Score: 0

3:38pm Fri 11 Dec 09

heinrich says...

did Kate Wheller to be the only
Wyke Regis resident when she was
a councillor for Westham?and Gordon
Brown selling off over half of our
gold reserve for peanuts and destroying our pensions industry?of
course its them nasty Tories who have been out of power for twelve
years.Doesit mean that this government is incapable of overturning all the "bad things "that
the Tories have supposed to have done.
did Kate Wheller to be the only Wyke Regis resident when she was a councillor for Westham?and Gordon Brown selling off over half of our gold reserve for peanuts and destroying our pensions industry?of course its them nasty Tories who have been out of power for twelve years.Doesit mean that this government is incapable of overturning all the "bad things "that the Tories have supposed to have done. heinrich
  • Score: 0

4:06pm Fri 11 Dec 09

Scolopax says...

585, it's called democracy, in this system we vote for the person we want, not against those we don't want. The fact that there were four candidates means that, almost inevitably, the sum of the other three votes will be more than the number for the winning candidate. (Maths lesson over)
585, it's called democracy, in this system we vote for the person we want, not against those we don't want. The fact that there were four candidates means that, almost inevitably, the sum of the other three votes will be more than the number for the winning candidate. (Maths lesson over) Scolopax
  • Score: 0

4:09pm Fri 11 Dec 09

Mike Edwards says...

You have to marvel at the blind to all that has happened approach of the labour party supporters, I suppose after 12 years of being in control of them and getting a good kicking with barely a days rest they have developed Stockholm Syndrome . Roll on the General election .
You have to marvel at the blind to all that has happened approach of the labour party supporters, I suppose after 12 years of being in control of them and getting a good kicking with barely a days rest they have developed Stockholm Syndrome . Roll on the General election . Mike Edwards
  • Score: 0

4:33pm Fri 11 Dec 09

macsimus says...

Well wonders never cease, I agree with Popup! Good on yer.
Well wonders never cease, I agree with Popup! Good on yer. macsimus
  • Score: 0

4:34pm Fri 11 Dec 09

biggestoaf says...

Presumably yesterday was a day's rest from the "good kicking"? Sounds like you think the people of Wyke Regis are "blind to all that has happened"?
In reality there are still plenty of people who know that voting Labour benefits the majority not just the privileged few.
Presumably yesterday was a day's rest from the "good kicking"? Sounds like you think the people of Wyke Regis are "blind to all that has happened"? In reality there are still plenty of people who know that voting Labour benefits the majority not just the privileged few. biggestoaf
  • Score: 0

4:40pm Fri 11 Dec 09

popup says...

macsimus wrote:
Well wonders never cease, I agree with Popup! Good on yer.
Most kind of you macsimus thank you.
[quote][p][bold]macsimus[/bold] wrote: Well wonders never cease, I agree with Popup! Good on yer.[/p][/quote]Most kind of you macsimus thank you. popup
  • Score: 0

4:54pm Fri 11 Dec 09

popup says...

Turnout was 33.37 per cent this is the saddest part of the election and it follows a national trend I personally think that voting should be compulsory, it is no good saying its only a local election so I won’t bother or any other of the lame excuses we hear at election time, and the daft thing is it is normally the people that don’t bother voting that moan the most afterwards and it is the same with union meetings because the only people that bother to go are the militants and then everybody says I didn’t want to strike. As the saying goes you’ve got to be in it to win it.
Turnout was 33.37 per cent this is the saddest part of the election and it follows a national trend I personally think that voting should be compulsory, it is no good saying its only a local election so I won’t bother or any other of the lame excuses we hear at election time, and the daft thing is it is normally the people that don’t bother voting that moan the most afterwards and it is the same with union meetings because the only people that bother to go are the militants and then everybody says I didn’t want to strike. As the saying goes you’ve got to be in it to win it. popup
  • Score: 0

5:06pm Fri 11 Dec 09

Scolopax says...

Quite agree Popup, given the state of things a very disappointing turnout. I've always liked the idea of Compulsory Voting but how does one enforce it, suggest consult Robert Mugabe Hamid Karzai, Saddam etc. Always saddens me that there's people dying around the World to win Democracy and most of our neighbours 'can't be bothered' to make the effort.
Quite agree Popup, given the state of things a very disappointing turnout. I've always liked the idea of Compulsory Voting but how does one enforce it, suggest consult Robert Mugabe Hamid Karzai, Saddam etc. Always saddens me that there's people dying around the World to win Democracy and most of our neighbours 'can't be bothered' to make the effort. Scolopax
  • Score: 0

5:32pm Fri 11 Dec 09

Wykeite says...

Scolopax wrote:
Quite agree Popup, given the state of things a very disappointing turnout. I've always liked the idea of Compulsory Voting but how does one enforce it, suggest consult Robert Mugabe Hamid Karzai, Saddam etc. Always saddens me that there's people dying around the World to win Democracy and most of our neighbours 'can't be bothered' to make the effort.
Isn't that what democracy is all about, making a choice? i.e. to not to vote, to vote, and if so, who to vote for.
[quote][p][bold]Scolopax[/bold] wrote: Quite agree Popup, given the state of things a very disappointing turnout. I've always liked the idea of Compulsory Voting but how does one enforce it, suggest consult Robert Mugabe Hamid Karzai, Saddam etc. Always saddens me that there's people dying around the World to win Democracy and most of our neighbours 'can't be bothered' to make the effort.[/p][/quote]Isn't that what democracy is all about, making a choice? i.e. to not to vote, to vote, and if so, who to vote for. Wykeite
  • Score: 0

6:00pm Fri 11 Dec 09

Scolopax says...

Yes, exactly Wykeite, the problem comes when no-one bothers to vote. Compulsory voting can't be the solution lest we follow the examples I've quoted. If we took yesterday's outcome to a logical conclusion, 2/3 didn't vote, (i.e. they didn't want any of the Candidates) therefore Wyke Regis shouldn't have a voice on W&PBC.
Yes, exactly Wykeite, the problem comes when no-one bothers to vote. Compulsory voting can't be the solution lest we follow the examples I've quoted. If we took yesterday's outcome to a logical conclusion, 2/3 didn't vote, (i.e. they didn't want any of the Candidates) therefore Wyke Regis shouldn't have a voice on W&PBC. Scolopax
  • Score: 0

7:50pm Fri 11 Dec 09

billyboi says...

popup wrote:
staffs wrote: It still amazes me the stupidty of some people. For the last 12 years labour have utterly destroyed this country and her image in the eyes of the world. And yet, people are still happy to vote them in and let them do it.
The trouble is staffs you seem to have a very short or selective memory, if you care to think back a little or even have a read of our recent history you will find that the Conservatives have done more harm to this country than Hitler could have hoped to achieve. It was the Tories that thought it would be a good idea to sell of council houses for next to nothing, it was the Tories who sold off every asset we had in terms of industry, the damage they done is the reason we are in such a state today. But the local elections are a different matter altogether and the people of Wyke have as is their right voted for the person who they think is going to do the best job for them and to call them stupid is not only offensive but also highlights your own ignorance and understanding of politics at either a local or a national level.
The Conservatives selling off the council houses was the best thing they did, it gave an opportunity for people to own their own property who wouldn't otherwise had a chance.
[quote][p][bold]popup[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]staffs[/bold] wrote: It still amazes me the stupidty of some people. For the last 12 years labour have utterly destroyed this country and her image in the eyes of the world. And yet, people are still happy to vote them in and let them do it.[/p][/quote]The trouble is staffs you seem to have a very short or selective memory, if you care to think back a little or even have a read of our recent history you will find that the Conservatives have done more harm to this country than Hitler could have hoped to achieve. It was the Tories that thought it would be a good idea to sell of council houses for next to nothing, it was the Tories who sold off every asset we had in terms of industry, the damage they done is the reason we are in such a state today. But the local elections are a different matter altogether and the people of Wyke have as is their right voted for the person who they think is going to do the best job for them and to call them stupid is not only offensive but also highlights your own ignorance and understanding of politics at either a local or a national level.[/p][/quote]The Conservatives selling off the council houses was the best thing they did, it gave an opportunity for people to own their own property who wouldn't otherwise had a chance. billyboi
  • Score: 0

9:05pm Fri 11 Dec 09

biggestoaf says...

Unfortunately they didn't allow the councils to use the money to replace the houses which were sold off. Consequently we now have a massive shortage of affordable housing. Typical Tory policy of encouraging people to think "I'm all right Jack"
Unfortunately they didn't allow the councils to use the money to replace the houses which were sold off. Consequently we now have a massive shortage of affordable housing. Typical Tory policy of encouraging people to think "I'm all right Jack" biggestoaf
  • Score: 0

9:22pm Fri 11 Dec 09

billyboi says...

So what have Labour been doing for the past 12 years, typical Labour blaming the previous Government for their own failings.
So what have Labour been doing for the past 12 years, typical Labour blaming the previous Government for their own failings. billyboi
  • Score: 0

9:29pm Fri 11 Dec 09

Mads says...

macsimus wrote:
Well wonders never cease, I agree with Popup! Good on yer.
OMG, me too!!
[quote][p][bold]macsimus[/bold] wrote: Well wonders never cease, I agree with Popup! Good on yer.[/p][/quote]OMG, me too!! Mads
  • Score: 0

12:33am Sat 12 Dec 09

Techie says...

popup wrote:
staffs wrote:
It still amazes me the stupidty of some people. For the last 12 years labour have utterly destroyed this country and her image in the eyes of the world. And yet, people are still happy to vote them in and let them do it.
The trouble is staffs you seem to have a very short or selective memory, if you care to think back a little or even have a read of our recent history you will find that the Conservatives have done more harm to this country than Hitler could have hoped to achieve. It was the Tories that thought it would be a good idea to sell of council houses for next to nothing, it was the Tories who sold off every asset we had in terms of industry, the damage they done is the reason we are in such a state today. But the local elections are a different matter altogether and the people of Wyke have as is their right voted for the person who they think is going to do the best job for them and to call them stupid is not only offensive but also highlights your own ignorance and understanding of politics at either a local or a national level.
I don't quite know how to say this but.... I agree with popup!
[quote][p][bold]popup[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]staffs[/bold] wrote: It still amazes me the stupidty of some people. For the last 12 years labour have utterly destroyed this country and her image in the eyes of the world. And yet, people are still happy to vote them in and let them do it.[/p][/quote]The trouble is staffs you seem to have a very short or selective memory, if you care to think back a little or even have a read of our recent history you will find that the Conservatives have done more harm to this country than Hitler could have hoped to achieve. It was the Tories that thought it would be a good idea to sell of council houses for next to nothing, it was the Tories who sold off every asset we had in terms of industry, the damage they done is the reason we are in such a state today. But the local elections are a different matter altogether and the people of Wyke have as is their right voted for the person who they think is going to do the best job for them and to call them stupid is not only offensive but also highlights your own ignorance and understanding of politics at either a local or a national level.[/p][/quote]I don't quite know how to say this but.... I agree with popup! Techie
  • Score: 0

8:41am Sat 12 Dec 09

Regisseur says...

It was a LOCAL by-election. Kate Wheller has demonstrated as a former Councillor that she is more interested in representing the community that elected her than the "national party line", and the people of Wyke are perfectly entitled to vote for whichever candidate they choose without infantile or bigoted accusations of "stupidity" or "blindness". I am as surprised that the Echo website accepted such offensive comments as I am that the newspaper chose to inaccurately use such a red-top (sic) style headline!
It was a LOCAL by-election. Kate Wheller has demonstrated as a former Councillor that she is more interested in representing the community that elected her than the "national party line", and the people of Wyke are perfectly entitled to vote for whichever candidate they choose without infantile or bigoted accusations of "stupidity" or "blindness". I am as surprised that the Echo website accepted such offensive comments as I am that the newspaper chose to inaccurately use such a red-top (sic) style headline! Regisseur
  • Score: 0

8:47am Sat 12 Dec 09

Genghis says...

Some interesting points particularly as regards the low turnout. Make voting compulsory to solve the problem? Well it would improve turnout but would it necessarily raise participation? In the case of the Wyke Regis by election you could still have 33.37% of people voting and the other 66.63% spoiling their ballot papers. Do you then make putting a cross against a candidate's name compulsory? Have a member of the Thought Police stand over you to make sure you do?
No, the reason that election turnouts are so low and continue to fall is that people have lost confidence in this farce that passes as democracy in this country. It is rotten to the core. The expenses scandal is just one symptom that shows that to be the case. We have two main political parties that spend the entire time scoring points off each other. The blame the last government arguments are nothing new. Brown and Blair used it, as did Major and Thatcher and as will Cameron and his government.
The political parties have made our democracy into a joke and turned the parliamentary system into a gravy train to line their own bank accounts. Anybody wonder why voter confidence is at such an all time low? I for one won't vote for any candidate from the corrupt political parties that we have. You can't even have any confidence in the fact that if you vote for a particular party's candidate that he/she won't defect to a party that you didn't want to vote for as soon as the election is over. You can't have confidence in an independent candidate on that particular score either. Just look at the gang of three turncoats that overthrew the result of our last local election and handed power to an unelected Tory Junta.
If you want turnouts at the elections to increase then the political system needs to be cleaned out root and branch. Carry on with the same corrupt parties and system as we have now is no longer a choice.
Some interesting points particularly as regards the low turnout. Make voting compulsory to solve the problem? Well it would improve turnout but would it necessarily raise participation? In the case of the Wyke Regis by election you could still have 33.37% of people voting and the other 66.63% spoiling their ballot papers. Do you then make putting a cross against a candidate's name compulsory? Have a member of the Thought Police stand over you to make sure you do? No, the reason that election turnouts are so low and continue to fall is that people have lost confidence in this farce that passes as democracy in this country. It is rotten to the core. The expenses scandal is just one symptom that shows that to be the case. We have two main political parties that spend the entire time scoring points off each other. The blame the last government arguments are nothing new. Brown and Blair used it, as did Major and Thatcher and as will Cameron and his government. The political parties have made our democracy into a joke and turned the parliamentary system into a gravy train to line their own bank accounts. Anybody wonder why voter confidence is at such an all time low? I for one won't vote for any candidate from the corrupt political parties that we have. You can't even have any confidence in the fact that if you vote for a particular party's candidate that he/she won't defect to a party that you didn't want to vote for as soon as the election is over. You can't have confidence in an independent candidate on that particular score either. Just look at the gang of three turncoats that overthrew the result of our last local election and handed power to an unelected Tory Junta. If you want turnouts at the elections to increase then the political system needs to be cleaned out root and branch. Carry on with the same corrupt parties and system as we have now is no longer a choice. Genghis
  • Score: 0

9:26am Sat 12 Dec 09

Dispirited says...

Well said Genghis. We were canvassed, by telephone for this bye election, two working days after the funeral of the much respected previous candidate. When I challenged the labour representative making the call stating I felt this was disrespectful and asking who had called the election so soon after the death of the previous candidate the caller blamed the Tories. It is this point scoring that puts off the voter and certainly not what one would expect for a local election. For the record I am a floating voter.
Well said Genghis. We were canvassed, by telephone for this bye election, two working days after the funeral of the much respected previous candidate. When I challenged the labour representative making the call stating I felt this was disrespectful and asking who had called the election so soon after the death of the previous candidate the caller blamed the Tories. It is this point scoring that puts off the voter and certainly not what one would expect for a local election. For the record I am a floating voter. Dispirited
  • Score: 0

9:50am Sat 12 Dec 09

Tru belle says...

Oh dear , more squabbles, and nothing ever gets done.

WILL some one sort out that disgraceful squalid public loo at Portland Bill, now?
Oh dear , more squabbles, and nothing ever gets done. WILL some one sort out that disgraceful squalid public loo at Portland Bill, now? Tru belle
  • Score: 0

10:58am Sat 12 Dec 09

heinrich says...

In spite of the three main parties being asked not to start their election
campaigns until the formal announcement on November 5th.I
received a phone call two days before from a Labour person asking me if I would be voting for Kate Wheller.
In spite of the three main parties being asked not to start their election campaigns until the formal announcement on November 5th.I received a phone call two days before from a Labour person asking me if I would be voting for Kate Wheller. heinrich
  • Score: 0

10:59am Sat 12 Dec 09

popup says...

I agree Genghis. with your point about the see saw nature of our so called democracy I also agree that the whole political system in this country is a complete shambles and a large proportion of our elected leaders have proven themselves to be cheats and fraudsters and without morals, but do you know what the answer is? how can we change such a corrupt and unfair system, as those that we accuse of corruption and fraud are the very ones that have to change it. Why do we need 600+M.Ps all on vast wages + expenses, I would like to see about 100 M.Ps covering the whole country I would also like to see a block of apartments purchased near Westminster to be allocated to our M.Ps for use as their London homes. Scrap the Lords altogether and many other changes but i have more chance of seeing pigs fly.
I agree Genghis. with your point about the see saw nature of our so called democracy I also agree that the whole political system in this country is a complete shambles and a large proportion of our elected leaders have proven themselves to be cheats and fraudsters and without morals, but do you know what the answer is? how can we change such a corrupt and unfair system, as those that we accuse of corruption and fraud are the very ones that have to change it. Why do we need 600+M.Ps all on vast wages + expenses, I would like to see about 100 M.Ps covering the whole country I would also like to see a block of apartments purchased near Westminster to be allocated to our M.Ps for use as their London homes. Scrap the Lords altogether and many other changes but i have more chance of seeing pigs fly. popup
  • Score: 0

11:39am Sat 12 Dec 09

Bluelady says...

Well done Kate, better the devil we know than the ones we don't!

It was the Labour party that called this bi-election, not the Tories and in my view it was a complete waste of taxpayers money as there is an Borough election in May 2010 where at least 12/13 Weymouth councillors due for re-election, so an extra few months without a Wyke Councillor would not have done us any harm as the ones we got now don't do us Wyke folk any good!

I think if the Tories had selected the right candidate 'Wyke Person' they may well have got the cream and won the seat. I most definately vote for the person and not the party and because I think Kate Wheller spends more time in the Lanehouse area, she does not serve me or others in Wyke. Geoff Petherick--well he's another story and a complete waste of space. With Peterick if you don't talk business then he aint interested and the load of bull he gave in the Wyke Register article was a laugh!

Here we now have 1 Tory County councillor, 1 Tory Borough councillor (Both Complete waste of space as have no interest in the community--apart from their own businesses )and 2 Labour Borough councillors in Wyke ---OMG we have just gone from the frying pan into the fire!!!!!

Get your act into gear Tory party, pick the right person next time, not an outsider who knows nothing of Wyke community or the needs of the Borough.
Well done Kate, better the devil we know than the ones we don't! It was the Labour party that called this bi-election, not the Tories and in my view it was a complete waste of taxpayers money as there is an Borough election in May 2010 where at least 12/13 Weymouth councillors due for re-election, so an extra few months without a Wyke Councillor would not have done us any harm as the ones we got now don't do us Wyke folk any good! I think if the Tories had selected the right candidate 'Wyke Person' they may well have got the cream and won the seat. I most definately vote for the person and not the party and because I think Kate Wheller spends more time in the Lanehouse area, she does not serve me or others in Wyke. Geoff Petherick--well he's another story and a complete waste of space. With Peterick if you don't talk business then he aint interested and the load of bull he gave in the Wyke Register article was a laugh! Here we now have 1 Tory County councillor, 1 Tory Borough councillor (Both Complete waste of space as have no interest in the community--apart from their own businesses )and 2 Labour Borough councillors in Wyke ---OMG we have just gone from the frying pan into the fire!!!!! Get your act into gear Tory party, pick the right person next time, not an outsider who knows nothing of Wyke community or the needs of the Borough. Bluelady
  • Score: 0

3:31pm Sat 12 Dec 09

Dispirited says...

Will you stand Blue Lady, you will get my vote
Will you stand Blue Lady, you will get my vote Dispirited
  • Score: 0

4:50pm Sat 12 Dec 09

mat2476 says...

It is quite simple really. If you don't like the result you should have gone out and voted. Stop complaining.
It is quite simple really. If you don't like the result you should have gone out and voted. Stop complaining. mat2476
  • Score: 0

5:38pm Sat 12 Dec 09

heinrich says...

Bluelady???never mind you might get the party you deserve,You must know Geoff Petherick to make a
personal attack on him which is as
low in politics as you can get especially as he cannot answer an
anonymous contributer
Bluelady???never mind you might get the party you deserve,You must know Geoff Petherick to make a personal attack on him which is as low in politics as you can get especially as he cannot answer an anonymous contributer heinrich
  • Score: 0

8:44pm Sat 12 Dec 09

Bluelady says...

heinrich wrote:
Bluelady???never mind you might get the party you deserve,You must know Geoff Petherick to make a personal attack on him which is as low in politics as you can get especially as he cannot answer an anonymous contributer
As a Wyke resident, I know only too well that Petherick has done nothing for us. You mail him and he don't respond, you phone him he don't call you back and working with youths in this borough I know he has done nothing for the youngsters.

Wyke youngsters deserve more than they get, they have no youth club and left to hang around the Wyke gardens. The elderly need something here as well as rarely do we see any events or social meetings for them. (Private or Social Housing)
Doug Hollings will be sadly missed as he was a 'Action Man' and always prepared to help and get things done!

Petherick don't answer when you mail so I might get a response if he registers and posts on here????

I voted and yes Despirited---I might just do that! ty in advance for your vote.
[quote][p][bold]heinrich[/bold] wrote: Bluelady???never mind you might get the party you deserve,You must know Geoff Petherick to make a personal attack on him which is as low in politics as you can get especially as he cannot answer an anonymous contributer[/p][/quote]As a Wyke resident, I know only too well that Petherick has done nothing for us. You mail him and he don't respond, you phone him he don't call you back and working with youths in this borough I know he has done nothing for the youngsters. Wyke youngsters deserve more than they get, they have no youth club and left to hang around the Wyke gardens. The elderly need something here as well as rarely do we see any events or social meetings for them. (Private or Social Housing) Doug Hollings will be sadly missed as he was a 'Action Man' and always prepared to help and get things done! Petherick don't answer when you mail so I might get a response if he registers and posts on here???? I voted and yes Despirited---I might just do that! ty in advance for your vote. Bluelady
  • Score: 0

3:53am Sun 13 Dec 09

Regisseur says...

To staffs, heinrich, Mike Edwards, billyboi, Ghenghis, Dispirited, Bluelady: I am planning a general meeting in Wyke before the next election of a borough councillor so that you can attend and tell us all how to vote. We, the residents of Wyke Regis, democratically elected the candidate we believe will best represent our interests at a local level. Apparently we are too stupid to make up our own minds; either that or, you believe, that if allowed to think for ourselves we will be in the wrong. Perhaps there is something you know that we're not seeing... because, of course, we're blind as well? Just for your information the electoral officers have not confirmed who called the election, but can confirm that it was not called by either Mrs Wheller or the Labour Party. I have my own suspicion as to which candidate began this particular campaign but, unlike earlier observers with "40/20" vision, choose not to make unfounded accusations. I am prepared to say, however, as a matter of personal opinion, as an independent voter with no party subscription, and with total respect for our former representative, that I believe Mr Hollings (RIP), even as a representative who (like Mrs Wheller) would frown upon the recent post-election turncoat activities already mentioned, would be glad that at least his own tradition of local representation was to be continued. Indeed I would go so far as to say that it was disrespectful to his memory that the Conservative party he served should flippantly propose a candidate not only from outside the ward, beyond the original Liberty Of Wyke Regis and Elwell, but barely within the Borough!
To staffs, heinrich, Mike Edwards, billyboi, Ghenghis, Dispirited, Bluelady: I am planning a general meeting in Wyke before the next election of a borough councillor so that you can attend and tell us all how to vote. We, the residents of Wyke Regis, democratically elected the candidate we believe will best represent our interests at a local level. Apparently we are too stupid to make up our own minds; either that or, you believe, that if allowed to think for ourselves we will be in the wrong. Perhaps there is something you know that we're not seeing... because, of course, we're blind as well? Just for your information the electoral officers have not confirmed who called the election, but can confirm that it was not called by either Mrs Wheller or the Labour Party. I have my own suspicion as to which candidate began this particular campaign but, unlike earlier observers with "40/20" vision, choose not to make unfounded accusations. I am prepared to say, however, as a matter of personal opinion, as an independent voter with no party subscription, and with total respect for our former representative, that I believe Mr Hollings (RIP), even as a representative who (like Mrs Wheller) would frown upon the recent post-election turncoat activities already mentioned, would be glad that at least his own tradition of local representation was to be continued. Indeed I would go so far as to say that it was disrespectful to his memory that the Conservative party he served should flippantly propose a candidate not only from outside the ward, beyond the original Liberty Of Wyke Regis and Elwell, but barely within the Borough! Regisseur
  • Score: 0

8:31am Sun 13 Dec 09

heinrich says...

next people will be attacking Gordon
Brown whos constituancy is in
Scotland and spends most of his time
in England.
next people will be attacking Gordon Brown whos constituancy is in Scotland and spends most of his time in England. heinrich
  • Score: 0

9:47am Sun 13 Dec 09

Dispirited says...

Just a minute Regisseur, Melcombe Regis. If you are including me in your blog which refers to the post election turncoats. As I have stated before I am a floating voter and do not subscrive to any political party. I was however digusted that a bye election was called so soon after the death of our much represected Doug Hollins. This election could have waited until the new year. My complaint was that I had received a canvass by the Labour party before it had even been announce to the people of Wyke that their was to be an election. I would have felt the same had it been the conservatives or others. As for a candidate outside the area, what a load of hot air. Many candidates put themselves forward for other areas when a vacancy for an election occurs. Lets hope in the General Election other parties come forward and give the main two parties a run for their money for whoever wins, like the Wyke Election, not much will change.
Just a minute Regisseur, Melcombe Regis. If you are including me in your blog which refers to the post election turncoats. As I have stated before I am a floating voter and do not subscrive to any political party. I was however digusted that a bye election was called so soon after the death of our much represected [across the political board] Doug Hollins. This election could have waited until the new year. My complaint was that I had received a canvass by the Labour party before it had even been announce to the people of Wyke that their was to be an election. I would have felt the same had it been the conservatives or others. As for a candidate outside the area, what a load of hot air. Many candidates put themselves forward for other areas when a vacancy for an election occurs. Lets hope in the General Election other parties come forward and give the main two parties a run for their money for whoever wins, like the Wyke Election, not much will change. Dispirited
  • Score: 0

10:09am Sun 13 Dec 09

Genghis says...

Regisseur wrote:
To staffs, heinrich, Mike Edwards, billyboi, Ghenghis, Dispirited, Bluelady: I am planning a general meeting in Wyke before the next election of a borough councillor so that you can attend and tell us all how to vote. We, the residents of Wyke Regis, democratically elected the candidate we believe will best represent our interests at a local level. Apparently we are too stupid to make up our own minds; either that or, you believe, that if allowed to think for ourselves we will be in the wrong. Perhaps there is something you know that we're not seeing... because, of course, we're blind as well? Just for your information the electoral officers have not confirmed who called the election, but can confirm that it was not called by either Mrs Wheller or the Labour Party. I have my own suspicion as to which candidate began this particular campaign but, unlike earlier observers with "40/20" vision, choose not to make unfounded accusations. I am prepared to say, however, as a matter of personal opinion, as an independent voter with no party subscription, and with total respect for our former representative, that I believe Mr Hollings (RIP), even as a representative who (like Mrs Wheller) would frown upon the recent post-election turncoat activities already mentioned, would be glad that at least his own tradition of local representation was to be continued. Indeed I would go so far as to say that it was disrespectful to his memory that the Conservative party he served should flippantly propose a candidate not only from outside the ward, beyond the original Liberty Of Wyke Regis and Elwell, but barely within the Borough!
I think if you re-read my comment I have absolutely no problem with whoever you vote for. That's your choice. I was responding to a comment on low turnout and compulsory voting and my own opinion (as well as many of my friends and relatives views) on why there is such a low turnout.
[quote][p][bold]Regisseur[/bold] wrote: To staffs, heinrich, Mike Edwards, billyboi, Ghenghis, Dispirited, Bluelady: I am planning a general meeting in Wyke before the next election of a borough councillor so that you can attend and tell us all how to vote. We, the residents of Wyke Regis, democratically elected the candidate we believe will best represent our interests at a local level. Apparently we are too stupid to make up our own minds; either that or, you believe, that if allowed to think for ourselves we will be in the wrong. Perhaps there is something you know that we're not seeing... because, of course, we're blind as well? Just for your information the electoral officers have not confirmed who called the election, but can confirm that it was not called by either Mrs Wheller or the Labour Party. I have my own suspicion as to which candidate began this particular campaign but, unlike earlier observers with "40/20" vision, choose not to make unfounded accusations. I am prepared to say, however, as a matter of personal opinion, as an independent voter with no party subscription, and with total respect for our former representative, that I believe Mr Hollings (RIP), even as a representative who (like Mrs Wheller) would frown upon the recent post-election turncoat activities already mentioned, would be glad that at least his own tradition of local representation was to be continued. Indeed I would go so far as to say that it was disrespectful to his memory that the Conservative party he served should flippantly propose a candidate not only from outside the ward, beyond the original Liberty Of Wyke Regis and Elwell, but barely within the Borough![/p][/quote]I think if you re-read my comment I have absolutely no problem with whoever you vote for. That's your choice. I was responding to a comment on low turnout and compulsory voting and my own opinion (as well as many of my friends and relatives views) on why there is such a low turnout. Genghis
  • Score: 0

10:42am Sun 13 Dec 09

heinrich says...

why is everybody so sensitive about
an outside candidate for Wyke when
Kate Wheller was a councillor for
Westham before she lost her seat
nobody as far I know complained
over there.
why is everybody so sensitive about an outside candidate for Wyke when Kate Wheller was a councillor for Westham before she lost her seat nobody as far I know complained over there. heinrich
  • Score: 0

4:10pm Sun 13 Dec 09

Wykeite says...

heinrich wrote:
why is everybody so sensitive about
an outside candidate for Wyke when
Kate Wheller was a councillor for
Westham before she lost her seat
nobody as far I know complained
over there.
We have a different view on things down south.
[quote][p][bold]heinrich[/bold] wrote: why is everybody so sensitive about an outside candidate for Wyke when Kate Wheller was a councillor for Westham before she lost her seat nobody as far I know complained over there.[/p][/quote]We have a different view on things down south. Wykeite
  • Score: 0

6:59pm Sun 13 Dec 09

Bluelady says...

Wykeite wrote:
heinrich wrote: why is everybody so sensitive about an outside candidate for Wyke when Kate Wheller was a councillor for Westham before she lost her seat nobody as far I know complained over there.
We have a different view on things down south.
As stated before, Kate Wheller does more in the Westham area than she will do in the Wyke (perhaps because most of her business clients come from Westham?)

Out of interest, has anyone noted that nearly all our councillors own their own businesses so no chance for the normal working class or unemployed to be selected to stand then?

Regisseur, and who are you to call a meeting in Wyke? No one important then or another councillor due for re-election in 2010 looking for votes? No doubt part of the A-Team that only send us newsletters just as our votes are needed?

Well we will soon find out if you decide to drop us more rubbish through our letter boxes......
[quote][p][bold]Wykeite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]heinrich[/bold] wrote: why is everybody so sensitive about an outside candidate for Wyke when Kate Wheller was a councillor for Westham before she lost her seat nobody as far I know complained over there.[/p][/quote]We have a different view on things down south.[/p][/quote]As stated before, Kate Wheller does more in the Westham area than she will do in the Wyke (perhaps because most of her business clients come from Westham?) Out of interest, has anyone noted that nearly all our councillors own their own businesses so no chance for the normal working class or unemployed to be selected to stand then? Regisseur, and who are you to call a meeting in Wyke? No one important then or another councillor due for re-election in 2010 looking for votes? No doubt part of the A-Team that only send us newsletters just as our votes are needed? Well we will soon find out if you decide to drop us more rubbish through our letter boxes...... Bluelady
  • Score: 0

1:09pm Mon 14 Dec 09

Regisseur says...

Firstly (my own mistake to not update details) I moved from Melcombe Regis 10 months ago. Second, I did not vote myself in this by-election; I have long maintained that ballot papers should include the option to declare abstention in the event that a voter would not choose any of the candidates but does not want to be included among the numbers who do not turn-out (often regarded as "apathetic") or those who spoil papers (regarded as "stupid"). However, it would have required over 20% of those who didn't vote to actually share this principle for there to have been any difference to the result and I support the democratic process which therfore saw one of the candidates democratically chosen by the electorate as a whole to best represent local interests. Moreover although I shiver at the thought of being a part of any "A-Team" or other party machine, I do take an independent yet open-minded interest in community issues; it is perhaps for this reason that I actually consider and check information about such matters and, having now done so in this case, I have learned that the new Councillor does not own a business at all and that her involvement with projects in Westham was the result of (not the reason for) her representation of that community, which actually bodes well for Wyke, especially given her voluntary involvement (of which I have now learned) in both the Wyke Christmas fayre and the local traffic calming campaign. I repeat my earlier point that I, unlike some others on this site, do not regard our use of pseudonyms as an excuse to make unfounded accusations.
Firstly (my own mistake to not update details) I moved from Melcombe Regis 10 months ago. Second, I did not vote myself in this by-election; I have long maintained that ballot papers should include the option to declare abstention in the event that a voter would not choose any of the candidates but does not want to be included among the numbers who do not turn-out (often regarded as "apathetic") or those who spoil papers (regarded as "stupid"). However, it would have required over 20% of those who didn't vote to actually share this principle for there to have been any difference to the result and I support the democratic process which therfore saw one of the candidates democratically chosen by the electorate as a whole to best represent local interests. Moreover although I shiver at the thought of being a part of any "A-Team" or other party machine, I do take an independent yet open-minded interest in community issues; it is perhaps for this reason that I actually consider and check information about such matters and, having now done so in this case, I have learned that the new Councillor does not own a business at all and that her involvement with projects in Westham was the result of (not the reason for) her representation of that community, which actually bodes well for Wyke, especially given her voluntary involvement (of which I have now learned) in both the Wyke Christmas fayre and the local traffic calming campaign. I repeat my earlier point that I, unlike some others on this site, do not regard our use of pseudonyms as an excuse to make unfounded accusations. Regisseur
  • Score: 0

1:53pm Mon 14 Dec 09

kate Wheller says...

To put an end to speculation and supposition. I do not run any sort of business. An accident nearly three years ago caused an injury that has prevented me from working, but when I did, none of my clients came from Westham, indeed, most came from outside the Borough. My husband does run a business, his office is in Wyke, some of his clients live in Dorset but most of his business is world wide. So obviously being a councillor has no advantage to our family business, but incorrectly being described as "red" may do us harm. I am not a communist or even a socialist. But I do believe in a fair chance for everyone, and the more able caring for the less able. I was brought up in Westham West which is why I was asked to stand for election in that ward and was proud to represent them. I do voluntary work at a community centre in Westham, out of respect to my late parents and parents in law who were members of the club there. The members are friends and enjoy spending time with them. I occasionally worship in St Edmunds Church and am involved in the Society for the Protection of Markham and Little Francis ( or as I prefer Curtis' fields) And of course I know lots of people in and around Lanehouse and the rest of Westham. In Wyke I am involved in PACT, with Wyke Protection Society, Wyke Horticultural Society, Friends of Wyke Gardens and The Wyke Christmas Fayre. And I attend All Saints Church. So how it can be suggested that I spend more time in Lanehouse, is a mystery! Neither I nor my party called the election and I am not aware that anyone was phoned on or near the time of Mr Hollings funeral. If they were I can only apologise. Long before an election was called I joined with other residents to try to do something about the appalling traffic and speeding in and around Wyke, as a councillor I hope I will be able to further that. I am also concerned at the litter and dog mess on our streets and I will try to do something about that. I hope that clarifies and misunderstanding and for that reason I am happy to put my name to this message.
To put an end to speculation and supposition. I do not run any sort of business. An accident nearly three years ago caused an injury that has prevented me from working, but when I did, none of my clients came from Westham, indeed, most came from outside the Borough. My husband does run a business, his office is in Wyke, some of his clients live in Dorset but most of his business is world wide. So obviously being a councillor has no advantage to our family business, but incorrectly being described as "red" may do us harm. I am not a communist or even a socialist. But I do believe in a fair chance for everyone, and the more able caring for the less able. I was brought up in Westham West which is why I was asked to stand for election in that ward and was proud to represent them. I do voluntary work at a community centre in Westham, out of respect to my late parents and parents in law who were members of the club there. The members are friends and enjoy spending time with them. I occasionally worship in St Edmunds Church and am involved in the Society for the Protection of Markham and Little Francis ( or as I prefer Curtis' fields) And of course I know lots of people in and around Lanehouse and the rest of Westham. In Wyke I am involved in PACT, with Wyke Protection Society, Wyke Horticultural Society, Friends of Wyke Gardens and The Wyke Christmas Fayre. And I attend All Saints Church. So how it can be suggested that I spend more time in Lanehouse, is a mystery! Neither I nor my party called the election and I am not aware that anyone was phoned on or near the time of Mr Hollings funeral. If they were I can only apologise. Long before an election was called I joined with other residents to try to do something about the appalling traffic and speeding in and around Wyke, as a councillor I hope I will be able to further that. I am also concerned at the litter and dog mess on our streets and I will try to do something about that. I hope that clarifies and misunderstanding and for that reason I am happy to put my name to this message. kate Wheller
  • Score: 0

8:49pm Mon 14 Dec 09

Bluelady says...

Well as a Wyke Resident, I sincerely hope that you can and will serve the residents of Wyke!!!

I have been informed by a reliable source that it was the Lib Dems that called the bi-election (although not yet confirmed by the Council) and if the information is correct, then I apologise. With regards to your previous business, this you had up until recently---yes? and if you note I did question mark that quote!

However, I am aware that meetings with residents in Wyke roads and safety (in particular) Camp Road and surrounding areas was held some 3 years ago with many residents in attendance and it was a Martyn Gallivan and other councillors present, in partcular Doug Hollings and this started off the painting of Double yellow lines in areas off Camp Road and raised many of the other concerns you mention.

Interestingly, almost all of those who held positions within the PACT meetings ended up stnding for council--does this position give more power or just hoping the hard work on the PACT pre-election pays off?

Regisseur, you still don't answer as to why you are calling a meeting in Wyke and as to the reasons why.

Here's hoping Wyke young and old get more attention and that the standing concillors do the job their elected and paid to do for the community!!!!!!!!!!!
Well as a Wyke Resident, I sincerely hope that you can and will serve the residents of Wyke!!! I have been informed by a reliable source that it was the Lib Dems that called the bi-election (although not yet confirmed by the Council) and if the information is correct, then I apologise. With regards to your previous business, this you had up until recently---yes? and if you note I did question mark that quote! However, I am aware that meetings with residents in Wyke roads and safety (in particular) Camp Road and surrounding areas was held some 3 years ago with many residents in attendance and it was a Martyn Gallivan and other councillors present, in partcular Doug Hollings and this started off the painting of Double yellow lines in areas off Camp Road and raised many of the other concerns you mention. Interestingly, almost all of those who held positions within the PACT meetings ended up stnding for council--does this position give more power or just hoping the hard work on the PACT pre-election pays off? Regisseur, you still don't answer as to why you are calling a meeting in Wyke and as to the reasons why. Here's hoping Wyke young and old get more attention and that the standing concillors do the job their elected and paid to do for the community!!!!!!!!!!! Bluelady
  • Score: 0

11:20pm Mon 14 Dec 09

George Bubb D says...

Give the woman a chance. She was a hard working councillor before and there is no reason to believe she will not be now. I find all this back biting and snide comments an insult to Doug Hollings memory. He was a good man and a fine councillor and so you lot should stop sniping and GROW UP. Let Councillor Wheller do her best. When you have given her a chance then feel free to criticise her on what she has, or hasn't done. But done take political pot shots at her before she has started.
Give the woman a chance. She was a hard working councillor before and there is no reason to believe she will not be now. I find all this back biting and snide comments an insult to Doug Hollings memory. He was a good man and a fine councillor and so you lot should stop sniping and GROW UP. Let Councillor Wheller do her best. When you have given her a chance then feel free to criticise her on what she has, or hasn't done. But done take political pot shots at her before she has started. George Bubb D
  • Score: 0

8:33am Tue 15 Dec 09

ian roebuck says...

Bluelady wrote:
Well as a Wyke Resident, I sincerely hope that you can and will serve the residents of Wyke!!! I have been informed by a reliable source that it was the Lib Dems that called the bi-election (although not yet confirmed by the Council) and if the information is correct, then I apologise. With regards to your previous business, this you had up until recently---yes? and if you note I did question mark that quote! However, I am aware that meetings with residents in Wyke roads and safety (in particular) Camp Road and surrounding areas was held some 3 years ago with many residents in attendance and it was a Martyn Gallivan and other councillors present, in partcular Doug Hollings and this started off the painting of Double yellow lines in areas off Camp Road and raised many of the other concerns you mention. Interestingly, almost all of those who held positions within the PACT meetings ended up stnding for council--does this position give more power or just hoping the hard work on the PACT pre-election pays off? Regisseur, you still don't answer as to why you are calling a meeting in Wyke and as to the reasons why. Here's hoping Wyke young and old get more attention and that the standing concillors do the job their elected and paid to do for the community!!!!!!!!!!!
Your "reliable informant" is spreading malicious disinformation, Blue Lady.
The Liberal Democrats did NOT call the by-election; we wanted a decent interval after Doug's funeral and a polling day in late January. However two people unconnected with any of the political parties had formally asked for an election by the day of the funeral, and the officers had no option but to call it immediately.
[quote][p][bold]Bluelady[/bold] wrote: Well as a Wyke Resident, I sincerely hope that you can and will serve the residents of Wyke!!! I have been informed by a reliable source that it was the Lib Dems that called the bi-election (although not yet confirmed by the Council) and if the information is correct, then I apologise. With regards to your previous business, this you had up until recently---yes? and if you note I did question mark that quote! However, I am aware that meetings with residents in Wyke roads and safety (in particular) Camp Road and surrounding areas was held some 3 years ago with many residents in attendance and it was a Martyn Gallivan and other councillors present, in partcular Doug Hollings and this started off the painting of Double yellow lines in areas off Camp Road and raised many of the other concerns you mention. Interestingly, almost all of those who held positions within the PACT meetings ended up stnding for council--does this position give more power or just hoping the hard work on the PACT pre-election pays off? Regisseur, you still don't answer as to why you are calling a meeting in Wyke and as to the reasons why. Here's hoping Wyke young and old get more attention and that the standing concillors do the job their elected and paid to do for the community!!!!!!!!!!![/p][/quote]Your "reliable informant" is spreading malicious disinformation, Blue Lady. The Liberal Democrats did NOT call the by-election; we wanted a decent interval after Doug's funeral and a polling day in late January. However two people unconnected with any of the political parties had formally asked for an election by the day of the funeral, and the officers had no option but to call it immediately. ian roebuck
  • Score: 0

9:16am Tue 15 Dec 09

Dispirited says...

What is done is done but whoever these two people are they should hang their heads in shame. There are still many amongst us who believe politics should have been set aside after councillor Hollings death and a respectful time should have elapsed before calling an election.
What is done is done but whoever these two people are they should hang their heads in shame. There are still many amongst us who believe politics should have been set aside after councillor Hollings death and a respectful time should have elapsed before calling an election. Dispirited
  • Score: 0

8:07am Wed 16 Dec 09

Regisseur says...

Mr Roebuck, thankyou for that information; if it was none of the "main" political parties then a basic knowledge of electoral rules allows us to all now know who called for that election.
Bluelady, I'm sorry, but every other reader of these comments has realised that the only possible reason for calling a pre-election meeting would be for you and your clique to tell us how to vote ("if we wanna keep our jobs, ma'am")!!!!!!!
Mr Roebuck, thankyou for that information; if it was none of the "main" political parties then a basic knowledge of electoral rules allows us to all now know who called for that election. Bluelady, I'm sorry, but every other reader of these comments has realised that the only possible reason for calling a pre-election meeting would be for you and your clique to tell us how to vote ("if we wanna keep our jobs, ma'am")!!!!!!! Regisseur
  • Score: 0

6:10pm Wed 16 Dec 09

ian roebuck says...

Regisseur wrote:
Mr Roebuck, thankyou for that information; if it was none of the "main" political parties then a basic knowledge of electoral rules allows us to all now know who called for that election. Bluelady, I'm sorry, but every other reader of these comments has realised that the only possible reason for calling a pre-election meeting would be for you and your clique to tell us how to vote ("if we wanna keep our jobs, ma'am")!!!!!!!
You have added the word "main," which was deliberately not in my post as all four candidates had formal political affiliations and I wanted to make clear that, to the best of my knowledge, not one wanted the byelection called as quickly as it was.
[quote][p][bold]Regisseur[/bold] wrote: Mr Roebuck, thankyou for that information; if it was none of the "main" political parties then a basic knowledge of electoral rules allows us to all now know who called for that election. Bluelady, I'm sorry, but every other reader of these comments has realised that the only possible reason for calling a pre-election meeting would be for you and your clique to tell us how to vote ("if we wanna keep our jobs, ma'am")!!!!!!![/p][/quote]You have added the word "main," which was deliberately not in my post as all four candidates had formal political affiliations and I wanted to make clear that, to the best of my knowledge, not one wanted the byelection called as quickly as it was. ian roebuck
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree