Seafront hotel owner claims caravans ruining views of Weymouth Bay

Dorset Echo: Dave Knight of the Leam Hotel in the widow of the hotel lounge with the view of the caravans Dave Knight of the Leam Hotel in the widow of the hotel lounge with the view of the caravans

A HOTEL owner claims caravans that look ‘like public toilets’ are ruining his guests’ view of the seafront.

David Knight, owner of the Leam Hotel, said his guests cannot see Weymouth Bay from the lounge area of his property after the caravans appeared on the Esplanade.

He said: “It’s terrible. We pay extortionate business rates, being a seafront hotel.

“Why should we do that and then have that view taken away from us?”

Mr Knight said he has guests from as far away as Scotland who come to enjoy the view.

“They are paying to have the sea view, and some even bring their binoculars to see the boats, and then they arrive and it looks like there are public toilets on the Esplanade.”

He added: “There has been absolutely no consultation, and when guests ask me how long they will be there for, I have to say I have no idea.

“It puts people off coming down.”

The three caravans are part of the Haven Caravan Show, which has been on the seafront over the past week.

As reported in the Echo in April, the sponsorship deal between Weymouth and Portland Borough Council and Haven Littlesea Holiday Park is worth £20,000, which includes caravan shows on the seafront as well as branding of tourism leaflets and events brochures.

Dave Price, of the hotel and guesthouse leaseholders association, said: “I do not think it is appropriate having the caravans in that location.

“They do not look very nice and I’ve had general bad comments about them from guests myself.

“They tend to turn up around bank holidays and stay for a few days or a week, but the council never consults us.”

Weymouth and Portland Borough Council defended the decision to rent the land to Haven for the show.

Councillor Mike Goodman, chairman of the management committee, said: “Haven Caravan Show is currently using the borough council’s multi-purpose activities and entertainment site next to the Jubilee clock.

“The site has been used for numerous activities, including caravan promotion, for many years and is a very popular venue for events and activities throughout the year.

“Money generated from the site is invested back into the borough events programme, which further stimulates the economy, promotes Weymouth and Portland as a great destination to visit and provides support to community activities.”

But Mr Knight said the caravans were “dumped” without prior warning right in front of his hotel.

“We used to have the fairground on our doorstep, which we didn’t mind because it was a bit of a novelty.

“Then that was moved down the road and we got the caravans.”

He added: “This has been going on for a while now but it’s getting a bit too regular.

“It’s just another example that the council don’t care about tourists or hotel owners.

“We have had a bad time recently and this is just another kick in the chops.”

Council decision

A SPOKESWOMAN for Haven said: “We are told by the council where the caravans will be placed along the seafront.

“However, we are sorry if hoteliers feel it is spoiling their guests’ views.”

Comments (52)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:24pm Sat 9 Jun 12

Never Wrong says...

Is this news, another hotel owner picking faults with everything...
Maybe his guests need to get off there backsides and cross the road to see the view of the seafront.
Is this news, another hotel owner picking faults with everything... Maybe his guests need to get off there backsides and cross the road to see the view of the seafront. Never Wrong

12:39pm Sat 9 Jun 12

I'mavoter says...

@"Never Wrong" - Would you like 3 big caravans parked outside your window ? I doubt it very much ! And even if your snidy remarks about guest crossing the road, if you sit any any of the four seats by the clock, all you see is those wretched caravans! Hardly a nice sea view is it ? There is no doubt they are badly placed, and look an eyesore there ---- oh and No, I am Not a hotelier !
@"Never Wrong" - Would you like 3 big caravans parked outside your window ? I doubt it very much ! And even if your snidy remarks about guest crossing the road, if you sit any any of the four seats by the clock, all you see is those wretched caravans! Hardly a nice sea view is it ? There is no doubt they are badly placed, and look an eyesore there ---- oh and No, I am Not a hotelier ! I'mavoter

1:17pm Sat 9 Jun 12

portland rebel says...

councillor showing his worth again.
councillor showing his worth again. portland rebel

3:05pm Sat 9 Jun 12

malkie says...

£20K ? Seems to me that Haven got a bargain there for publicity in a prime site for most of the Summer. Let's face it...They are a complete eye-sore.
£20K ? Seems to me that Haven got a bargain there for publicity in a prime site for most of the Summer. Let's face it...They are a complete eye-sore. malkie

3:14pm Sat 9 Jun 12

ohcetesrod says...

Have never heard them complain Carnival week when the dodgems etc are pitched outside!
Have never heard them complain Carnival week when the dodgems etc are pitched outside! ohcetesrod

3:15pm Sat 9 Jun 12

niceonecyril says...

Funfair blocks the view, no problems, happy with that, Mobile homes block the view, not happy with that, seriously ??????
Funfair blocks the view, no problems, happy with that, Mobile homes block the view, not happy with that, seriously ?????? niceonecyril

5:47pm Sat 9 Jun 12

I'mavoter says...

niceonecyril wrote:
Funfair blocks the view, no problems, happy with that, Mobile homes block the view, not happy with that, seriously ??????
So you think they look nice there then?
[quote][p][bold]niceonecyril[/bold] wrote: Funfair blocks the view, no problems, happy with that, Mobile homes block the view, not happy with that, seriously ??????[/p][/quote]So you think they look nice there then? I'mavoter

6:28pm Sat 9 Jun 12

weymouthfox says...

Wait till the travellers show up in Olympic weeks and put their caravans next to Havens.
Wait till the travellers show up in Olympic weeks and put their caravans next to Havens. weymouthfox

6:41pm Sat 9 Jun 12

I'mavoter says...

weymouthfox wrote:
Wait till the travellers show up in Olympic weeks and put their caravans next to Havens.
Ha ha
[quote][p][bold]weymouthfox[/bold] wrote: Wait till the travellers show up in Olympic weeks and put their caravans next to Havens.[/p][/quote]Ha ha I'mavoter

9:20pm Sat 9 Jun 12

GMax says...

Riding a bike is not allowed but parking a caravan is, hmmm.
.
GMax
Riding a bike is not allowed but parking a caravan is, hmmm. . GMax GMax

9:45pm Sat 9 Jun 12

Genghis says...

GMax wrote:
Riding a bike is not allowed but parking a caravan is, hmmm.
.
GMax
Yes, the dangers of being run down by a stationary caravan should never be underestimated.
[quote][p][bold]GMax[/bold] wrote: Riding a bike is not allowed but parking a caravan is, hmmm. . GMax[/p][/quote]Yes, the dangers of being run down by a stationary caravan should never be underestimated. Genghis

4:29am Sun 10 Jun 12

Peter6 says...

The lasers ruined the seafront image, the caravans are an eyesore, at least the fair is a normal thing on a seafront.
Whats next? perhaps free parking for all the coaches that bring tourists to our town or dare I suggest the disabled motorist. Why can't Haven put their show vans on their numerous sites for people to view or take a giant step and have walk round viewing on their website? oh sorry I forgot, the council are getting £20.000 out of this. Food for thought indeed.
The lasers ruined the seafront image, the caravans are an eyesore, at least the fair is a normal thing on a seafront. Whats next? perhaps free parking for all the coaches that bring tourists to our town or dare I suggest the disabled motorist. Why can't Haven put their show vans on their numerous sites for people to view or take a giant step and have walk round viewing on their website? oh sorry I forgot, the council are getting £20.000 out of this. Food for thought indeed. Peter6

11:22am Sun 10 Jun 12

blobby96 says...

haven have a absolute bargain.£20.000 is a lot of money though so they had to take it,there is loads of other rubbish on the seafront already, surely the guests do not stay in the lounge all day?? surely if you were watching the boats you would look from your rooms upstairs or be on the seafront??
haven have a absolute bargain.£20.000 is a lot of money though so they had to take it,there is loads of other rubbish on the seafront already, surely the guests do not stay in the lounge all day?? surely if you were watching the boats you would look from your rooms upstairs or be on the seafront?? blobby96

11:38am Sun 10 Jun 12

gameon says...

It is true that Haven are told by the council where to park these caravans to be fair they pay there £20K and are entitled to be on seafront its not there fault. They were allways up by the Jubilee clock where the seafront is widest i dont understand the councils logic of putting them in this obstructing position but then wheres the logic of closing down the tourist office in the most prime position on the front and wheres the logic of digging up the town and virtually making it a no go area for the Olympics that were all supposed to be looking forward to .If any of these council brain boxes were to get a job in the real world they wouldnt last 10 minutes with there Walter Mitty schemes Put The Vans Back to the Clock end.
It is true that Haven are told by the council where to park these caravans to be fair they pay there £20K and are entitled to be on seafront its not there fault. They were allways up by the Jubilee clock where the seafront is widest i dont understand the councils logic of putting them in this obstructing position but then wheres the logic of closing down the tourist office in the most prime position on the front and wheres the logic of digging up the town and virtually making it a no go area for the Olympics that were all supposed to be looking forward to .If any of these council brain boxes were to get a job in the real world they wouldnt last 10 minutes with there Walter Mitty schemes Put The Vans Back to the Clock end. gameon

12:32pm Sun 10 Jun 12

aaranpresley says...

I sympathise with the owner of the Leam - it is a fact people book rooms based on sea views and anything preventing that view is likely to cripple the business. Additinally, I suspect the hotelier is paying a good deal more in rent to the council than the £20,000 revenue quoted by our local tame tramp Councillor Goodman (who probably gets 3 times that amount in pension alone). Mr Goodman should consider the rental income (ca £2million per year) and holiday-maker income (ca. £100million per year) that hoteliers in Weymouth generate for the town (Council figures!) before spouting off in prejudice (and condemning all hoteliers as miserable and scruffy a few days ago) - way to alienate the electorate Mr Goodman!
I sympathise with the owner of the Leam - it is a fact people book rooms based on sea views and anything preventing that view is likely to cripple the business. Additinally, I suspect the hotelier is paying a good deal more in rent to the council than the £20,000 revenue quoted by our local tame tramp Councillor Goodman (who probably gets 3 times that amount in pension alone). Mr Goodman should consider the rental income (ca £2million per year) and holiday-maker income (ca. £100million per year) that hoteliers in Weymouth generate for the town (Council figures!) before spouting off in prejudice (and condemning all hoteliers as miserable and scruffy a few days ago) - way to alienate the electorate Mr Goodman! aaranpresley

1:41pm Sun 10 Jun 12

I am not a grockle says...

I too sympathise with the guest house owner.

I presume the Council doesn't have to have planning permission to site these caravans in this location - they should as this clearly is affecting a number of businesses in that location.

I think the whole caravan thing on the seafront looks shabby and £20k doesn't really seem enough.
I too sympathise with the guest house owner. I presume the Council doesn't have to have planning permission to site these caravans in this location - they should as this clearly is affecting a number of businesses in that location. I think the whole caravan thing on the seafront looks shabby and £20k doesn't really seem enough. I am not a grockle

3:25pm Sun 10 Jun 12

voiceof says...

Yet another misery-guts. Haven do this every year! Get a life. Your guests can walk across the esplanade past the caravans and hey presto, there's the view.
Yet another misery-guts. Haven do this every year! Get a life. Your guests can walk across the esplanade past the caravans and hey presto, there's the view. voiceof

4:20pm Sun 10 Jun 12

Never Wrong says...

Of all the views you can get in this world, are three caravans blocking a view from one window worth all this fuss in the echo or is the echo just a mouthpiece for all the moaning and miserable hotel and bed & breakfast owners in weymouth.
Of all the views you can get in this world, are three caravans blocking a view from one window worth all this fuss in the echo or is the echo just a mouthpiece for all the moaning and miserable hotel and bed & breakfast owners in weymouth. Never Wrong

6:20pm Sun 10 Jun 12

bollywood says...

The beach resembles an amusement park, the esplanade a caravan site. Don't Haven already have a building on the esplande advertising caravans? If people want to see caravans they should go to a caravan park and for amusements there is Alexander Gardens or Lodmoor Park. No more rubbish please on the beach or esplande
The beach resembles an amusement park, the esplanade a caravan site. Don't Haven already have a building on the esplande advertising caravans? If people want to see caravans they should go to a caravan park and for amusements there is Alexander Gardens or Lodmoor Park. No more rubbish please on the beach or esplande bollywood

7:26pm Sun 10 Jun 12

ohcetesrod says...

Haven own how many Holiday parks in this town?

With thousands of caravans in all their parks that big employment and money into this town.

Which makes allowing them to plonk a few on the Esplanade once in a while good business sense for this town.
Haven own how many Holiday parks in this town? With thousands of caravans in all their parks that big employment and money into this town. Which makes allowing them to plonk a few on the Esplanade once in a while good business sense for this town. ohcetesrod

7:33pm Sun 10 Jun 12

malkie says...

As I said in my earlier post, £20K is peanuts for a prime site like this at peak times. I must ask if the "brown envelopes" have changed hands as well.
As I said in my earlier post, £20K is peanuts for a prime site like this at peak times. I must ask if the "brown envelopes" have changed hands as well. malkie

9:33pm Sun 10 Jun 12

Get a grip says...

He has a very good point, they are an eyesore.
He has a very good point, they are an eyesore. Get a grip

9:35pm Sun 10 Jun 12

I'mavoter says...

voiceof wrote:
Yet another misery-guts. Haven do this every year! Get a life. Your guests can walk across the esplanade past the caravans and hey presto, there's the view.
So you'd be quite happy to have them dumped outside your house then?
If you give me your address I'll be quite happy to arrange it !
A classic case of 'NIMBY'
[quote][p][bold]voiceof[/bold] wrote: Yet another misery-guts. Haven do this every year! Get a life. Your guests can walk across the esplanade past the caravans and hey presto, there's the view.[/p][/quote]So you'd be quite happy to have them dumped outside your house then? If you give me your address I'll be quite happy to arrange it ! A classic case of 'NIMBY' I'mavoter

9:41pm Sun 10 Jun 12

I'mavoter says...

Never Wrong wrote:
Of all the views you can get in this world, are three caravans blocking a view from one window worth all this fuss in the echo or is the echo just a mouthpiece for all the moaning and miserable hotel and bed & breakfast owners in weymouth.
So you'd be quite happy for them to be dumped outside your house then ?
The hoteliers there pay the council more rent because the rooms have a sea view. So the council then takes money from Haven to block that sea view.
If it was YOUR place, how would you feel. Yet another case of 'NIMBY' !
[quote][p][bold]Never Wrong[/bold] wrote: Of all the views you can get in this world, are three caravans blocking a view from one window worth all this fuss in the echo or is the echo just a mouthpiece for all the moaning and miserable hotel and bed & breakfast owners in weymouth.[/p][/quote]So you'd be quite happy for them to be dumped outside your house then ? The hoteliers there pay the council more rent because the rooms have a sea view. So the council then takes money from Haven to block that sea view. If it was YOUR place, how would you feel. Yet another case of 'NIMBY' ! I'mavoter

10:05pm Sun 10 Jun 12

I'mavoter says...

ohcetesrod wrote:
Haven own how many Holiday parks in this town?

With thousands of caravans in all their parks that big employment and money into this town.

Which makes allowing them to plonk a few on the Esplanade once in a while good business sense for this town.
Yes Haven have three sites in Weymouth with more than enough space to sell their caravans, without cluttering up our seafront. The council have put seats around by the clock, sit on any of them, and you cannot see the sea & bay, only those wretched caravans. If YOU paid the council £15 - £18 thousand a year rent, so that your guests can enjoy a sea view, would you like Haven (which is in competition with you in a sense) to plonk three caravans in front of your window ?
[quote][p][bold]ohcetesrod[/bold] wrote: Haven own how many Holiday parks in this town? With thousands of caravans in all their parks that big employment and money into this town. Which makes allowing them to plonk a few on the Esplanade once in a while good business sense for this town.[/p][/quote]Yes Haven have three sites in Weymouth with more than enough space to sell their caravans, without cluttering up our seafront. The council have put seats around by the clock, sit on any of them, and you cannot see the sea & bay, only those wretched caravans. If YOU paid the council £15 - £18 thousand a year rent, so that your guests can enjoy a sea view, would you like Haven (which is in competition with you in a sense) to plonk three caravans in front of your window ? I'mavoter

3:17am Mon 11 Jun 12

Peter Baylis says...

As a former resident of Weymouth, but being a Nottingham grockle, isn't it about time the "Council" got rid of the boats on the quayside, as they might spoil the view of the harbour from the local pubs for holidaymakers. As for the lighthouses at Portland Bill, they are way past their sell by date. Surely the "Council" should demolish them and let Haven put their caravans there, as a tourist attraction.
As a former resident of Weymouth, but being a Nottingham grockle, isn't it about time the "Council" got rid of the boats on the quayside, as they might spoil the view of the harbour from the local pubs for holidaymakers. As for the lighthouses at Portland Bill, they are way past their sell by date. Surely the "Council" should demolish them and let Haven put their caravans there, as a tourist attraction. Peter Baylis

7:44am Mon 11 Jun 12

ohcetesrod says...

I'mavoter wrote:
Never Wrong wrote:
Of all the views you can get in this world, are three caravans blocking a view from one window worth all this fuss in the echo or is the echo just a mouthpiece for all the moaning and miserable hotel and bed & breakfast owners in weymouth.
So you'd be quite happy for them to be dumped outside your house then ?
The hoteliers there pay the council more rent because the rooms have a sea view. So the council then takes money from Haven to block that sea view.
If it was YOUR place, how would you feel. Yet another case of 'NIMBY' !
I very much doubt Haven would dump the Caravans outside where I live.

First of all it would block the road, and secondly it hardly an advertising hot-spot!

What next. Hoteliers to complain about Carnival as it stops guests having a siesta?
[quote][p][bold]I'mavoter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Never Wrong[/bold] wrote: Of all the views you can get in this world, are three caravans blocking a view from one window worth all this fuss in the echo or is the echo just a mouthpiece for all the moaning and miserable hotel and bed & breakfast owners in weymouth.[/p][/quote]So you'd be quite happy for them to be dumped outside your house then ? The hoteliers there pay the council more rent because the rooms have a sea view. So the council then takes money from Haven to block that sea view. If it was YOUR place, how would you feel. Yet another case of 'NIMBY' ![/p][/quote]I very much doubt Haven would dump the Caravans outside where I live. First of all it would block the road, and secondly it hardly an advertising hot-spot! What next. Hoteliers to complain about Carnival as it stops guests having a siesta? ohcetesrod

9:52am Mon 11 Jun 12

JamesYoung says...

Genghis wrote:
GMax wrote:
Riding a bike is not allowed but parking a caravan is, hmmm.
.
GMax
Yes, the dangers of being run down by a stationary caravan should never be underestimated.
Best comment by far - well done Genghis!
[quote][p][bold]Genghis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GMax[/bold] wrote: Riding a bike is not allowed but parking a caravan is, hmmm. . GMax[/p][/quote]Yes, the dangers of being run down by a stationary caravan should never be underestimated.[/p][/quote]Best comment by far - well done Genghis! JamesYoung

4:42pm Mon 11 Jun 12

Get a grip says...

By the way the lasers are rubbish.
By the way the lasers are rubbish. Get a grip

4:54pm Mon 11 Jun 12

monkeydog says...

Hardly news but the hotelier has a point. There are plenty of less obtrusive places where Haven can advertise. This is another case of the council not caring about the small local businesses that keep this town afloat. By the way, it's good to see all the little Englanders making their trite and pointless comments..
Hardly news but the hotelier has a point. There are plenty of less obtrusive places where Haven can advertise. This is another case of the council not caring about the small local businesses that keep this town afloat. By the way, it's good to see all the little Englanders making their trite and pointless comments.. monkeydog

6:40pm Mon 11 Jun 12

I'mavoter says...

ohcetesrod wrote:
I'mavoter wrote:
Never Wrong wrote:
Of all the views you can get in this world, are three caravans blocking a view from one window worth all this fuss in the echo or is the echo just a mouthpiece for all the moaning and miserable hotel and bed & breakfast owners in weymouth.
So you'd be quite happy for them to be dumped outside your house then ?
The hoteliers there pay the council more rent because the rooms have a sea view. So the council then takes money from Haven to block that sea view.
If it was YOUR place, how would you feel. Yet another case of 'NIMBY' !
I very much doubt Haven would dump the Caravans outside where I live.

First of all it would block the road, and secondly it hardly an advertising hot-spot!

What next. Hoteliers to complain about Carnival as it stops guests having a siesta?
So you think they are an attractive addition to our seafront then 'ohcetesrod' ?
And it s Not just the hoteliers that are complaining about them, other residents are too. And the council have placed seats around the clock, for people to sit and look out on to the lovely bay. Sit on any of those and all you can see are those wretched caravans, no view at all. A bit more honesty would be better than sarcastic comments. Do you really think they do our seafront any favours there ?
[quote][p][bold]ohcetesrod[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]I'mavoter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Never Wrong[/bold] wrote: Of all the views you can get in this world, are three caravans blocking a view from one window worth all this fuss in the echo or is the echo just a mouthpiece for all the moaning and miserable hotel and bed & breakfast owners in weymouth.[/p][/quote]So you'd be quite happy for them to be dumped outside your house then ? The hoteliers there pay the council more rent because the rooms have a sea view. So the council then takes money from Haven to block that sea view. If it was YOUR place, how would you feel. Yet another case of 'NIMBY' ![/p][/quote]I very much doubt Haven would dump the Caravans outside where I live. First of all it would block the road, and secondly it hardly an advertising hot-spot! What next. Hoteliers to complain about Carnival as it stops guests having a siesta?[/p][/quote]So you think they are an attractive addition to our seafront then 'ohcetesrod' ? And it s Not just the hoteliers that are complaining about them, other residents are too. And the council have placed seats around the clock, for people to sit and look out on to the lovely bay. Sit on any of those and all you can see are those wretched caravans, no view at all. A bit more honesty would be better than sarcastic comments. Do you really think they do our seafront any favours there ? I'mavoter

7:03pm Mon 11 Jun 12

ohcetesrod says...

I'mavoter wrote:
ohcetesrod wrote:
I'mavoter wrote:
Never Wrong wrote:
Of all the views you can get in this world, are three caravans blocking a view from one window worth all this fuss in the echo or is the echo just a mouthpiece for all the moaning and miserable hotel and bed & breakfast owners in weymouth.
So you'd be quite happy for them to be dumped outside your house then ?
The hoteliers there pay the council more rent because the rooms have a sea view. So the council then takes money from Haven to block that sea view.
If it was YOUR place, how would you feel. Yet another case of 'NIMBY' !
I very much doubt Haven would dump the Caravans outside where I live.

First of all it would block the road, and secondly it hardly an advertising hot-spot!

What next. Hoteliers to complain about Carnival as it stops guests having a siesta?
So you think they are an attractive addition to our seafront then 'ohcetesrod' ?
And it s Not just the hoteliers that are complaining about them, other residents are too. And the council have placed seats around the clock, for people to sit and look out on to the lovely bay. Sit on any of those and all you can see are those wretched caravans, no view at all. A bit more honesty would be better than sarcastic comments. Do you really think they do our seafront any favours there ?
Do our seafront or town.

The town probably yes.

And I am sure this is not the first year they have been there, so why not so much of an issue then.

Oh I know why, too many miserable gits have nothing better to do these days than moan.
[quote][p][bold]I'mavoter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ohcetesrod[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]I'mavoter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Never Wrong[/bold] wrote: Of all the views you can get in this world, are three caravans blocking a view from one window worth all this fuss in the echo or is the echo just a mouthpiece for all the moaning and miserable hotel and bed & breakfast owners in weymouth.[/p][/quote]So you'd be quite happy for them to be dumped outside your house then ? The hoteliers there pay the council more rent because the rooms have a sea view. So the council then takes money from Haven to block that sea view. If it was YOUR place, how would you feel. Yet another case of 'NIMBY' ![/p][/quote]I very much doubt Haven would dump the Caravans outside where I live. First of all it would block the road, and secondly it hardly an advertising hot-spot! What next. Hoteliers to complain about Carnival as it stops guests having a siesta?[/p][/quote]So you think they are an attractive addition to our seafront then 'ohcetesrod' ? And it s Not just the hoteliers that are complaining about them, other residents are too. And the council have placed seats around the clock, for people to sit and look out on to the lovely bay. Sit on any of those and all you can see are those wretched caravans, no view at all. A bit more honesty would be better than sarcastic comments. Do you really think they do our seafront any favours there ?[/p][/quote]Do our seafront or town. The town probably yes. And I am sure this is not the first year they have been there, so why not so much of an issue then. Oh I know why, too many miserable gits have nothing better to do these days than moan. ohcetesrod

7:42pm Mon 11 Jun 12

not too distant says...

Some bloke who lives in a naff back street is on here telling a hotelier to suck eggs! There was a time when people would support each others causes.. Not because they believed in them as such, but because people need to work together or be trampled by government. There will come a day when each of us are against it, and we'll look around to find NOBODY'S got our backs. Shame on you all.
Some bloke who lives in a naff back street is on here telling a hotelier to suck eggs! There was a time when people would support each others causes.. Not because they believed in them as such, but because people need to work together or be trampled by government. There will come a day when each of us are against it, and we'll look around to find NOBODY'S got our backs. Shame on you all. not too distant

8:06pm Mon 11 Jun 12

voiceof says...

I'mavoter wrote:
voiceof wrote:
Yet another misery-guts. Haven do this every year! Get a life. Your guests can walk across the esplanade past the caravans and hey presto, there's the view.
So you'd be quite happy to have them dumped outside your house then?
If you give me your address I'll be quite happy to arrange it !
A classic case of 'NIMBY'
Yes it wouldn't bother me in the slightest! No NIMBY here whatsoever!
[quote][p][bold]I'mavoter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]voiceof[/bold] wrote: Yet another misery-guts. Haven do this every year! Get a life. Your guests can walk across the esplanade past the caravans and hey presto, there's the view.[/p][/quote]So you'd be quite happy to have them dumped outside your house then? If you give me your address I'll be quite happy to arrange it ! A classic case of 'NIMBY'[/p][/quote]Yes it wouldn't bother me in the slightest! No NIMBY here whatsoever! voiceof

8:19pm Mon 11 Jun 12

AndyCooke says...

He does have a point many guests particularly elderly like this hotel because of it's double fronted sea view lounge. It's quite easy to see why they would be upset to have their view spoilt. Having said that £20k is a significant sum that helps with the towns marketing budget. Difficult choice for WPBC to be fair but have to admit I do think they're a bit of an eyesore ...
He does have a point many guests particularly elderly like this hotel because of it's double fronted sea view lounge. It's quite easy to see why they would be upset to have their view spoilt. Having said that £20k is a significant sum that helps with the towns marketing budget. Difficult choice for WPBC to be fair but have to admit I do think they're a bit of an eyesore ... AndyCooke

8:24pm Mon 11 Jun 12

I'mavoter says...

voiceof wrote:
I'mavoter wrote:
voiceof wrote:
Yet another misery-guts. Haven do this every year! Get a life. Your guests can walk across the esplanade past the caravans and hey presto, there's the view.
So you'd be quite happy to have them dumped outside your house then?
If you give me your address I'll be quite happy to arrange it !
A classic case of 'NIMBY'
Yes it wouldn't bother me in the slightest! No NIMBY here whatsoever!
Yeh right.
[quote][p][bold]voiceof[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]I'mavoter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]voiceof[/bold] wrote: Yet another misery-guts. Haven do this every year! Get a life. Your guests can walk across the esplanade past the caravans and hey presto, there's the view.[/p][/quote]So you'd be quite happy to have them dumped outside your house then? If you give me your address I'll be quite happy to arrange it ! A classic case of 'NIMBY'[/p][/quote]Yes it wouldn't bother me in the slightest! No NIMBY here whatsoever![/p][/quote]Yeh right. I'mavoter

8:30pm Mon 11 Jun 12

ohcetesrod says...

not too distant wrote:
Some bloke who lives in a naff back street is on here telling a hotelier to suck eggs! There was a time when people would support each others causes.. Not because they believed in them as such, but because people need to work together or be trampled by government. There will come a day when each of us are against it, and we'll look around to find NOBODY'S got our backs. Shame on you all.
Naff back street! ha ha!

Maybe that's because of the greed of estate agents and their customers doubling the price of the housing market ten years ago!

As with all things, you have your view, I have mine.
[quote][p][bold]not too distant[/bold] wrote: Some bloke who lives in a naff back street is on here telling a hotelier to suck eggs! There was a time when people would support each others causes.. Not because they believed in them as such, but because people need to work together or be trampled by government. There will come a day when each of us are against it, and we'll look around to find NOBODY'S got our backs. Shame on you all.[/p][/quote]Naff back street! ha ha! Maybe that's because of the greed of estate agents and their customers doubling the price of the housing market ten years ago! As with all things, you have your view, I have mine. ohcetesrod

8:33pm Mon 11 Jun 12

I'mavoter says...

AndyCooke wrote:
He does have a point many guests particularly elderly like this hotel because of it's double fronted sea view lounge. It's quite easy to see why they would be upset to have their view spoilt. Having said that £20k is a significant sum that helps with the towns marketing budget. Difficult choice for WPBC to be fair but have to admit I do think they're a bit of an eyesore ...
Oh at last, a voice of reason and not sarcasm. As I said earlier, the council take £15-£18 thousand a year rent from these hoteliers, extra for those that offer their guests a sea/bay view, the council then take money from Haven to block that sea view. Fair you think ? Double standards ?
[quote][p][bold]AndyCooke[/bold] wrote: He does have a point many guests particularly elderly like this hotel because of it's double fronted sea view lounge. It's quite easy to see why they would be upset to have their view spoilt. Having said that £20k is a significant sum that helps with the towns marketing budget. Difficult choice for WPBC to be fair but have to admit I do think they're a bit of an eyesore ...[/p][/quote]Oh at last, a voice of reason and not sarcasm. As I said earlier, the council take £15-£18 thousand a year rent from these hoteliers, extra for those that offer their guests a sea/bay view, the council then take money from Haven to block that sea view. Fair you think ? Double standards ? I'mavoter

8:37pm Mon 11 Jun 12

I'mavoter says...

ohcetesrod wrote:
I'mavoter wrote:
ohcetesrod wrote:
I'mavoter wrote:
Never Wrong wrote:
Of all the views you can get in this world, are three caravans blocking a view from one window worth all this fuss in the echo or is the echo just a mouthpiece for all the moaning and miserable hotel and bed & breakfast owners in weymouth.
So you'd be quite happy for them to be dumped outside your house then ?
The hoteliers there pay the council more rent because the rooms have a sea view. So the council then takes money from Haven to block that sea view.
If it was YOUR place, how would you feel. Yet another case of 'NIMBY' !
I very much doubt Haven would dump the Caravans outside where I live.

First of all it would block the road, and secondly it hardly an advertising hot-spot!

What next. Hoteliers to complain about Carnival as it stops guests having a siesta?
So you think they are an attractive addition to our seafront then 'ohcetesrod' ?
And it s Not just the hoteliers that are complaining about them, other residents are too. And the council have placed seats around the clock, for people to sit and look out on to the lovely bay. Sit on any of those and all you can see are those wretched caravans, no view at all. A bit more honesty would be better than sarcastic comments. Do you really think they do our seafront any favours there ?
Do our seafront or town.

The town probably yes.

And I am sure this is not the first year they have been there, so why not so much of an issue then.

Oh I know why, too many miserable gits have nothing better to do these days than moan.
I shall remind you of that remark ohcetesrod, next time I see you moan about anything on here !
[quote][p][bold]ohcetesrod[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]I'mavoter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ohcetesrod[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]I'mavoter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Never Wrong[/bold] wrote: Of all the views you can get in this world, are three caravans blocking a view from one window worth all this fuss in the echo or is the echo just a mouthpiece for all the moaning and miserable hotel and bed & breakfast owners in weymouth.[/p][/quote]So you'd be quite happy for them to be dumped outside your house then ? The hoteliers there pay the council more rent because the rooms have a sea view. So the council then takes money from Haven to block that sea view. If it was YOUR place, how would you feel. Yet another case of 'NIMBY' ![/p][/quote]I very much doubt Haven would dump the Caravans outside where I live. First of all it would block the road, and secondly it hardly an advertising hot-spot! What next. Hoteliers to complain about Carnival as it stops guests having a siesta?[/p][/quote]So you think they are an attractive addition to our seafront then 'ohcetesrod' ? And it s Not just the hoteliers that are complaining about them, other residents are too. And the council have placed seats around the clock, for people to sit and look out on to the lovely bay. Sit on any of those and all you can see are those wretched caravans, no view at all. A bit more honesty would be better than sarcastic comments. Do you really think they do our seafront any favours there ?[/p][/quote]Do our seafront or town. The town probably yes. And I am sure this is not the first year they have been there, so why not so much of an issue then. Oh I know why, too many miserable gits have nothing better to do these days than moan.[/p][/quote]I shall remind you of that remark ohcetesrod, next time I see you moan about anything on here ! I'mavoter

9:04pm Mon 11 Jun 12

ETV says...

Totally agree with Dave Knight - the mobile homes totally block the view as you stroll down the sea front - they are an eye-sore.

PS. Can I offer a bid of £20k to place a tarpaulin over the mobile homes? Sure Haven wouldn't mind the view of the mobile homes being blocked ;-)
Totally agree with Dave Knight - the mobile homes totally block the view as you stroll down the sea front - they are an eye-sore. PS. Can I offer a bid of £20k to place a tarpaulin over the mobile homes? Sure Haven wouldn't mind the view of the mobile homes being blocked ;-) ETV

3:03am Tue 12 Jun 12

EtaoinShrdlu says...

The next brilliant plan the council will probably come up with is to house travellers (didicoys) in these eyesores. Then there WILL be trouble, dismantled cars, bonfires melting cables "found" on building sites, 11-year-olds getting married . . . Jeremy Clarkson is right: caravans of any sort shoud be destroyed.
The next brilliant plan the council will probably come up with is to house travellers (didicoys) in these eyesores. Then there WILL be trouble, dismantled cars, bonfires melting cables "found" on building sites, 11-year-olds getting married . . . Jeremy Clarkson is right: caravans of any sort shoud be destroyed. EtaoinShrdlu

12:37pm Tue 12 Jun 12

monkeydog says...

EtaoinShrdlu wrote:
The next brilliant plan the council will probably come up with is to house travellers (didicoys) in these eyesores. Then there WILL be trouble, dismantled cars, bonfires melting cables "found" on building sites, 11-year-olds getting married . . . Jeremy Clarkson is right: caravans of any sort shoud be destroyed.
An offensive and stupid comment, if only for the approval of Jeremy Clarkson.
[quote][p][bold]EtaoinShrdlu[/bold] wrote: The next brilliant plan the council will probably come up with is to house travellers (didicoys) in these eyesores. Then there WILL be trouble, dismantled cars, bonfires melting cables "found" on building sites, 11-year-olds getting married . . . Jeremy Clarkson is right: caravans of any sort shoud be destroyed.[/p][/quote]An offensive and stupid comment, if only for the approval of Jeremy Clarkson. monkeydog

9:24pm Tue 12 Jun 12

Hrw-Amen says...

I do agree it appears an inappropriate place to advertise caravans even though it has happened previously.

Also £20,000 does seem rather a cheap price to pay for the right to put them there. Still I guess it is low maintenance and now the council have the £20,000 they can afford to put the Pineapples back in place with no excuse saying they don't know where the money is coming from!
I do agree it appears an inappropriate place to advertise caravans even though it has happened previously. Also £20,000 does seem rather a cheap price to pay for the right to put them there. Still I guess it is low maintenance and now the council have the £20,000 they can afford to put the Pineapples back in place with no excuse saying they don't know where the money is coming from! Hrw-Amen

12:03pm Wed 13 Jun 12

Babsarella66 says...

I totally agree with the hoteliers on this. Why should you pay extra rates for the view you are advertising, for the council to then take it away by allowing Haven to place unsightly caravans in front of that view?



I personally think the hoteliers would be perfectly justified in deducting a percentage of that £15-18 grand for the loss of views that you are being charged extra for.

As for telling guests to walk out of the hotel, to the other side of the road, to see the view, that kind of defeats the object of paying extra for the sea view in a hotel I would think.

Guests like to sit in the dining room and admire the view, not a bunch of caravans. I would be livid if I paid extra for a sea view and all I could see were those caravans.

This council needs to sort their act out, listen to the people and maybe learn a thing or two. Out the caravans in Lodmoor carpark out of the way.
I totally agree with the hoteliers on this. Why should you pay extra rates for the view you are advertising, for the council to then take it away by allowing Haven to place unsightly caravans in front of that view? I personally think the hoteliers would be perfectly justified in deducting a percentage of that £15-18 grand for the loss of views that you are being charged extra for. As for telling guests to walk out of the hotel, to the other side of the road, to see the view, that kind of defeats the object of paying extra for the sea view in a hotel I would think. Guests like to sit in the dining room and admire the view, not a bunch of caravans. I would be livid if I paid extra for a sea view and all I could see were those caravans. This council needs to sort their act out, listen to the people and maybe learn a thing or two. Out the caravans in Lodmoor carpark out of the way. Babsarella66

2:34pm Wed 13 Jun 12

jmc1 says...

If they paid extra for a sea view I would think that view would be from a bedroom window,not in a dining room where everyone is,if you where in the bedroom you would see over the caravans,no problem.
If they paid extra for a sea view I would think that view would be from a bedroom window,not in a dining room where everyone is,if you where in the bedroom you would see over the caravans,no problem. jmc1

2:37pm Wed 13 Jun 12

jmc1 says...

were
were jmc1

3:40pm Wed 13 Jun 12

Genghis says...

If the borough is to make money from trade stands wouldn't an area by the old Tourist Information and Haven office be a better option to site these caravans?
If the borough is to make money from trade stands wouldn't an area by the old Tourist Information and Haven office be a better option to site these caravans? Genghis

5:06pm Wed 13 Jun 12

Babsarella66 says...

@Jmc1 I would imagine yes, but this doesn't change the fact that if the caravans weren't there the guests would have an enjoyable view whilst eating their luncheon, breakfast and evening meal.

The prices will reflect the view, regardless of being in a bedroom or a dining room( with a bay window overlooking the sea.

If guests were not particularly bothered about views they would book into somewhere like Carlton rd North not a prime location such as the seafront.

If I were to hire a car ,paid for a BMW and was left with a fiat seicento I would not be happy, ( actually i love them but that's besides the point,lol)yes it gets you from A-B but I would not be getting what I paid for or was expecting.

Guests booking/paying for a seafront hotel with what one would consider prime views they do not want a view of a bunch of cruddy caravans that look like public toilets.

The council should be striving to help hoteliers and hoteliers not taking the money from their hands then ripping them off by robbing them of their advertised views.
@Jmc1 I would imagine yes, but this doesn't change the fact that if the caravans weren't there the guests would have an enjoyable view whilst eating their luncheon, breakfast and evening meal. The prices will reflect the view, regardless of being in a bedroom or a dining room( with a bay window overlooking the sea. If guests were not particularly bothered about views they would book into somewhere like Carlton rd North not a prime location such as the seafront. If I were to hire a car ,paid for a BMW and was left with a fiat seicento I would not be happy, ( actually i love them but that's besides the point,lol)yes it gets you from A-B but I would not be getting what I paid for or was expecting. Guests booking/paying for a seafront hotel with what one would consider prime views they do not want a view of a bunch of cruddy caravans that look like public toilets. The council should be striving to help hoteliers and hoteliers not taking the money from their hands then ripping them off by robbing them of their advertised views. Babsarella66

5:11pm Wed 13 Jun 12

Babsarella66 says...

Sorry about the typos, typing on my iPad and there's no way of editing mistakes but I hope you get my gist!

Hoteliers and guests are what I should've typed and the rest I will leave you to decypher sorry.
Sorry about the typos, typing on my iPad and there's no way of editing mistakes but I hope you get my gist! Hoteliers and guests are what I should've typed and the rest I will leave you to decypher sorry. Babsarella66

8:28pm Wed 13 Jun 12

jmc1 says...

Babsarella66 wrote:
Sorry about the typos, typing on my iPad and there's no way of editing mistakes but I hope you get my gist!

Hoteliers and guests are what I should've typed and the rest I will leave you to decypher sorry.
You said,the prices will reflect the view regardless whether they are in the bedroom or dining room, I could be wrong,but surely there are rooms at the back of the hotel, that are cheaper than the front.
Sent from my I Pad with hopefully no mistakes.
Why can you not edit with an iPad ?????
[quote][p][bold]Babsarella66[/bold] wrote: Sorry about the typos, typing on my iPad and there's no way of editing mistakes but I hope you get my gist! Hoteliers and guests are what I should've typed and the rest I will leave you to decypher sorry.[/p][/quote]You said,the prices will reflect the view regardless whether they are in the bedroom or dining room, I could be wrong,but surely there are rooms at the back of the hotel, that are cheaper than the front. Sent from my I Pad with hopefully no mistakes. Why can you not edit with an iPad ????? jmc1

8:46am Thu 14 Jun 12

Babsarella66 says...

Jmc1 in ref to your comment about my errors on iPad, yes of course I can edit on my iPad, I was referring to once I had sent and realised my typos that the Echo page does not allow me to edit! The iPad uses predictive text so a couple of errors had occurred without me realising. I Hope that clears that little issue up for you! But then since you have an iPad yourself you would know that one can edit easily on it so I don't know what your point is! It's ok though no need for you to enlighten me thanks. Also one question mark was quite sufficient thank you.

Oh yes and another contributory factor to my errors was, I was also typing quickly and a client walked into reception so I didn't have a chance to check before I sent. Anyway back to my point.

I stick to my views that these caravans should not be parked in front of a hotel that pays extra to the council due to its location and sea views. I wouldn't like it as most others wouldn't. Why anyone other than the council or other persons who benefit from the decision to allow the caravans to park there, would defend this whole situation is beyond me.

Regardless of if a guest is in the front or back rooms the hotelier has to pay more to the council due to its location therefore this shouldn't make any difference.

The fact is caravans are obscurring the hotels views, which primarily is what the hotelier is paying extra for.

I hope the council see sense and use the spot for something a little easier on the eyes and also something that compliments the views for hoteliers,visitors and locals alike. We should be working to keep everyone happy. It's not that hard for goodness sake.
Jmc1 in ref to your comment about my errors on iPad, yes of course I can edit on my iPad, I was referring to once I had sent and realised my typos that the Echo page does not allow me to edit! The iPad uses predictive text so a couple of errors had occurred without me realising. I Hope that clears that little issue up for you! But then since you have an iPad yourself you would know that one can edit easily on it so I don't know what your point is! It's ok though no need for you to enlighten me thanks. Also one question mark was quite sufficient thank you. Oh yes and another contributory factor to my errors was, I was also typing quickly and a client walked into reception so I didn't have a chance to check before I sent. Anyway back to my point. I stick to my views that these caravans should not be parked in front of a hotel that pays extra to the council due to its location and sea views. I wouldn't like it as most others wouldn't. Why anyone other than the council or other persons who benefit from the decision to allow the caravans to park there, would defend this whole situation is beyond me. Regardless of if a guest is in the front or back rooms the hotelier has to pay more to the council due to its location therefore this shouldn't make any difference. The fact is caravans are obscurring the hotels views, which primarily is what the hotelier is paying extra for. I hope the council see sense and use the spot for something a little easier on the eyes and also something that compliments the views for hoteliers,visitors and locals alike. We should be working to keep everyone happy. It's not that hard for goodness sake. Babsarella66

9:15am Thu 14 Jun 12

davescorpio0 says...

Knock down that awful shop selling Olympic goods made in third world sweat shops and sold at hugely inflated prices and put the caravans on the site.
All those tacky goods are readily available in all the other town centre shops and they really need the business.
Knock down that awful shop selling Olympic goods made in third world sweat shops and sold at hugely inflated prices and put the caravans on the site. All those tacky goods are readily available in all the other town centre shops and they really need the business. davescorpio0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree