A MAN who repeatedly struck his former partner after assaulting his mother has been jailed for a year.

Rowan Flanders, 25, pictured, admitted charges of causing grievous bodily harm and assault in relation to the violent domestic attack at his mother’s flat in Charminster on June 9.

Prosecutor Jennie Rickman told his sentencing hearing at Dorchester Crown Court that Flanders had been drinking and got into an argument with his mum Rosemary Flanders, as he was demanding more wine.

Flanders became aggressive and Mrs Flanders said she was going to phone the police when the defendant, who was living at the flat at the time along with Ellie-May Rogers, went to block her.

Miss Rickman said: “He grabbed hold of her by the front door, grabbing both her wrists and held onto them tightly.”

She said he then approached Miss Rogers, who was on a sofa bed in the lounge area.

Miss Rickman said: “She said to him he had had enough to drink and he punched her as she lay on the bed three times to the side of the head.

“She was screaming at him to stop and leave her alone.”

Flanders temporarily stopped but then returned and delivered three further blows.

Miss Rickman said: “They were hard punches and one of them caught her on the side of the jaw.

“When she put her hands to her mouth she realised her mouth was bleeding.”

Police arrived on the scene soon after and arrested Flanders, while Miss Rogers had to go to hospital for treatment to a broken jaw.

Jeffrey Norie-Miller, mitigating, said his client had experienced a difficult relationship with his mother over the years but she was in court supporting him at the sentencing hearing.

He said Flanders, of Avon Road, Bournemouth, was full of remorse for the attack on Miss Rogers and recognised he had to take steps to address his behaviour.

Mr Norie-Miller added: “This is a young man who has had a very difficult and traumatic past but he does not put that forward as an excuse or justification in anyway.”

Judge Roger Jarvis sentenced Flanders to 12 months in prison.

He also imposed a restraining order preventing the defendant from having contact with Miss Rogers.