When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
TERRAS: King still reigns
THERE are no plans at the present time to remove Brendon King from the Weymouth hot-seat, according to Nigel Biddlecombe.
Prior to last night’s game at Hitchin Town, there had been much speculation claiming the first-team boss would be sacked following another defeat, but the club’s chairman has played down those rumours.
King made sweeping changes to his side at Top Field but despite a gallant effort from his men, the Terras still went down 3-2.
When asked whether that result could mean the end of King’s tenure at the Bob Lucas Stadium, Biddlecombe responded: “Brendon King is the manager of Weymouth FC.
“Things are not going well for us at the moment and the whole ethos needs to be looked at and discussed.
“As a board we are going to have to try and find out what is going wrong, and in order to do that we need to look at all areas.”
Biddlecombe also insisted that there is no potential successor in place to take over from King.
There has been talk linking Trevor Challis with a return to the club but it appears that is wide of the mark.
“There have been a lot of rumours about Trevor ever since he came to a game to visit a friend of his and that is unfortunate,” added Biddlecombe.
“There is no one waiting in line and there is no thought process for it at this moment in time.”
King is under no illusions about just how precarious his position is at present but so far he has received no indications from the board that he is set to be removed this week.
He said: “I speak to the chairman and the directors on a daily basis and nothing has been said to me.
“They are as disappointed as I am with recent results and they want things to change but no one wants that more than me.”
It is also unclear whether yesterday evening’s improved display will be enough to save some of the players from the chop.
King continued: “I will take stock and then speak to the board and take it from there.
“We need to make some decisions over the next few days and we will let people know when things are sorted.”Scott Walker and Michael Walker both found the target at Hitchin but once again the Terras were unable to stop the goals going in at the other end. They have now conceded 26 times in their last 10 league outings.
Commenting on his side’s latest defeat, King said: “We did not deserve to lose the game first and foremost.
“The performance was 100 per cent better but sometimes football can be a cruel game.
“At 2-2, Mark Ford was denied by a fantastic save and then from the resulting corner they broke up field and grabbed a deflected winner.
“I felt gutted for the lads afterwards because they didn’t deserve that.
“We have all taken a lot of criticism recently and rightly so, however, they really did dig in during this game and I really do feel for them.”
King made four changes to his starting XI and also handed the captain’s armband to Jason Matthews.
He went on to add: “I did that purely to try and get a response.
“You cannot keep flogging a dead horse. If things aren’t working you have to make changes and in a way I thought they worked despite the result.
“I am certainly a lot happier now than I was after the St Albans game on Saturday.”
The Terras remain 15th in the Calor Southern Premier Division having picked up just nine points from their last 10 games.
Comments are closed on this article.