RUGBY: Blues see good run halted by North Dorset

Dorset Echo: TRY TIME: Ricky Stubbs, centre, goes for the line TRY TIME: Ricky Stubbs, centre, goes for the line


THE Blues’ recent run of success hit the buffers at Slaughtergate.

The home side were well supported from the touchline by their Southern Counties first team, whose fixture with Weymouth had been cancelled.

Bridport made an unusually brisk start in this Dorset & Wilts One South encounter by spending the first 15 minutes in the opposition half.

They played with some vigour and kept the home side under pressure.

However, the curse of the failed final pass had followed them from their previous game at Wareham.

The first North Dorset foray into the visitors’ half resulted in an easy penalty in front of the posts.

The Blues were stung by this misfortune and immediately responded with a sweeping move down the left wing which was painfully halted by a serious neck-high tackle on the Bridport full-back.

The referee had no option but to show a yellow card to the miscreant.

Bridport stand-off Ricky Stubbs tried to take advantage of his absence by chipping behind the depleted North Dorset backline but without result.

The home side finally built up some steam in the latter part of the first half and, after scoring a second penalty, they grabbed a converted try to go 13-0 up after the visiting full-back had been caught in possession.

North Dorset were looking clinical and they immediately added a third penalty before going on to raise the tempo another notch in the second half.

A converted try in the first minute was a sign of what was to come for Bridport as the hosts began to seize control of proceedings.

North Dorset began to use the kick ahead to pin the visitors close to their own line as the Blues began to wilt.

The hosts scored their final try down the left wing, running right over an injured Bridport player who had gone unnoticed by the referee.

The last portion of the game saw some gritty pride return to the Bridport ranks.

They began to put the bite back into their play and challenge the home side at scrums rather than go for goal.

Both sides closed the game out with matching levels of intensity with Blues ace Will Hegarty suffering a nasty blow to the head just before the final whistle.

The rematch in March will make interesting viewing as Bridport look for revenge.

Bridport are away to East Dorset at Christchurch on Saturday (2.15pm).


DESPITE a player needing a stretcher and dubious high tackles from the opposition, Bridport Seconds enjoyed another clean sweep with a 33-13 win against Bournemouth, writes Amy van Zyl.

The Dorset & Wilts Four game started with the visitors dominating territory and possession alongside fast-paced distribution and strong scrummaging.

An injury in the first 15 minutes allowed the Blues some time to bite back, doing well to advance into the Bournemouth 22.

Fly-half Rob Parker initiated the first break of the game and subsequently scored the opening try, which he then converted.

Strong Bridport defence saw off some powerful drives as both sides looked to gain territory.

The physicality of the game was proved by an injury to Will Challis that saw him stretchered off.

Bridport began to regain some ground with a good pick up from Rory Allen, but this was interrupted by a penalty that slowed down their momentum.

The visitors decided to kick for the posts and reduced Bridport’s lead to four points.

Impressive interplay from the Blues’ loose forwards and an up and under then allowed Pete Phillips to come through with the hosts’ second try.

Bridport were now making some excellent breaks and following some skilful distribution they were stopped dead in their tracks with a high tackle on Adam Vickery right on the try line.

However, the referee decided to award a scrum to Bridport for an earlier forward pass, much to the home side’s disbelief.

Early in the second half the visitors were awarded another penalty which they successfully slotted.

However, Bridport’s tackles began to improve and relentless defence disrupted Bournemouth’s rolling maul to force a turnover.

A well-placed kick deep into the Bournemouth half gave Bridport their first real shot in the second period.

This pressure caused panic among the opposition and Lee Burdett responded by intercepting a poor Bournemouth pass to touch down with an impressive run down the wing.

Straight from the kick-off, the Blues continued to apply pressure and were eventually rewarded with another try.

Burdett went on to go grab his second for the hosts to wrap up the victory.

Bridport Seconds host Oakmeadians Thirds on Saturday (2.15pm).


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree