TERRAS: Nathan aims to win place back

Dorset Echo: FOCUSED: Nathan Walker FOCUSED: Nathan Walker

NATHAN Walker insists he has every intention of trying to win back his place in the Terras’ starting line-up – even if it means becoming the club’s new man up front.

Walker was thrown on as an emergency striker during Weymouth’s game at Frome on Saturday, and his introduction seemed to act as the catalyst in the visitors’ late comeback.

The former Dorchester defender has only featured as a substitute since being dropped for the trip to Hitchin earlier this month in what turned out to be Brendon King’s last match in charge.

He has fallen behind his brother Michael and Sam Poole in the centre-half pecking order, while remaining on the transfer list with his older sibling as the result of a disagreement with the club’s board, which now seems to have been settled.

But despite everything that has gone on off the field, he is fully focused on winning his place back.

“I was left out for the Hitchin game and haven’t been able to get back in the side,” he said. “The manager decided to leave me out and the boys have been doing quite well.

“I always think I should be playing but it’s the manager who picks the team and if he feels I’m not doing the right job then he will leave me out.

“I’ve spoken to Jason Matthews (caretaker-manager) and he has reassured me that if I keep training hard my chance will come.

“There is competition for places right now and that can only be a good thing.

“If he wants to use me up front then I’m more than happy to do that – I’ll play anywhere as long as I’m playing.

“We’ve needed a big lad up front to put himself about a bit and Jase gave me the chance against Frome so I went out there and showed what I could do.

“I’ll always do my best for the club and for Jase, and being on the transfer list won’t affect the way I play.

“I believe in myself to get the shirt back, whether that’s in place of Michael or Sam, or anywhere across the back four.”

Walker said he and the rest of the squad were “gutted” to see King get the sack, but he believes that despite a relatively poor campaign to date the team can still aim high.

“We’ve got a good squad and should be doing a lot better than we are,” he added.

“We’ve got to keep picking up points to push us up the league because we should be higher up with the players we’ve got.

“I’d like to think the play-offs are still our target even though we’re a few points off them.

“But if we can pick up as many points as we can then you never know.”

The Terras head to Cornwall tomorrow to begin what they hope will be a promising 2014 against Truro City (3pm).

Comments (0)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree