THE Blues got their new campaign in the Wadworth 6X Dorset & Wilts One South off to a flying start with a comprehensive 58-0 thrashing of North Dorset Seconds, running in nine tries.

Whilst there will be sterner tests ahead this win will hopefully lay the foundations for a good performance in this league.

From the kick-off Bridport were soon keeping North Dorset penned in their own half and Mitch Waters made an early break and under strong pressure from a resulting scrum North Dorset conceded a penalty in front of the posts which Waters converted.

Bridport were soon back in North Dorset’s 22 and forced them into conceding a number of penalties and a strong drive by the forwards forced North Dorset back onto their line and Dave Cutting pounced on the loose ball to score.

Immediately the Blues were back on the score sheet when a powerful run by Ewan Dommett from the halfway-line saw him score under the posts converted by Waters.

The Blues now had their tails up and were creating all sorts of problems for North Dorset and a panicked quick lineout in their 22 saw them tackled behind their line.

From the resulting five-metre scrum Mike Pibworth took the ball from the back of the scrum and with a powerful drive scored, Waters converting.

Further tries followed, from a quickly-taken penalty Nathan Herbert went over and then the power of the forwards gave them a classic catch and drive from a five-metre line-out with Ayo Fraser getting the final touchdown.

On the stroke of half-time some great handling in the backs saw them break the defence again with Rich Lazell getting the final pass to score. and make the half-time score 37-0.

In the first 20 minutes of the second half the Blues lost some momentum and North Dorset gained a number of penalties in the Blues' 22 which they chose to run, but excellent defence kept them out.

Finally Nathan Herbert cleared to halfway and Rich Pearce was on hand to gather a loose ball and run in to score under the posts, converted by Lazell.

The Blues got their shape back again and exerted constant pressure in the North Dorset 22 but couldn’t get over the whitewash. However, a North Dorset scrum in front of their posts was powerfully driven back with the Blues held up on the line.

The scrum was reset and this time Cutting was again on hand to pounce on a loose ball and score.

The final score was rather bizarre, following a kick through from Rich Lazell the referee awarded a penalty for a late tackle were the ball stopped and Daragh McLoughlin was too quick for the retreating North Dorset defence and scored under the posts.

The Blues' ext game is away to Swanage on Saturday.