When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Acting Terras' chief sends out SOS
ACTING chairman Pranas Preidzius has sent out an SOS message to the fans to get behind Weymouth FC in its hour of need.
The Lithuanian businessman, who has now officially taken over the reins from George Rolls, is urging supporters to turn out in force for Saturday’s home clash against Stourbridge, which he insists is vital in terms of financing the current squad.
He has also assured supporters that the club will not die on his watch but may have to consider moving to Dorchester Town’s Avenue Stadium in order to guarantee its future.
Preidzius said: “I want to reiterate to the fans that everything at the club is business as normal and it is not in any financial situation like some people are making out.
“The club is not going into an abyss and there is no way I will allow it to die despite what people have been saying.
“I will keep the club afloat but there is a short-term cash-flow issue that does need addressing.
“There is more money outstanding to us than we owe but with only one home game in the next month and six away matches, it is vital we get as big a crowd as possible on Saturday so we can keep the current squad together.
“The board of directors have been very disappointed with the continuing negativity from certain individuals and that is why we are now sending out an SOS to all our supporters to save our season.”
Preidzius spoke to the playing staff following Saturday’s 3-0 defeat at Banbury and also asked associate director Nigel Biddlecombe if he would like to become a full director.
He added: “I addressed the players after the game as some are owed money due to the cash-flow issue and the fact that the donation that was made to the club last week by Peter Saxby has been withdrawn.
“I also spoke with Nigel Biddlecombe and asked if he would like to become a full board member, which he is currently considering. Our other associate director Mark Cole-man was unavailable.”
Preidzuis, who attended the game with Rolls, also chatted with some of the club’s fans at the Spencer Stadium and was delighted with their positive response.
He said: “I was very encouraged by the support I received from the travelling army of supporters and I am very grateful to them all for turning up and continuing to follow the club through thick and thin.”
Commenting on rumours that the Bob Lucas Stadium could be condemned, Preidzius added: “The ground is not close to being condemned. However, we have had a survey done on it and in the long term it will need around £400,000 of work done on it with £100,000 of that needing to be done in the short term.
“That means we would have to put in £100,000 over the next three years and with the income that is coming into the club at present it means it would not be viable for us to stay there.
“That is the reason why I have arranged to meet with Shaun Hearn next week to continue talks about a possible ground-share.”
When asked for his thoughts on the possibility of becoming a full director, Biddlecombe said: “Pranas made that offer to me and asked if I would consider it, which I must do.
“He also asked me to remain in place in the case of attempting to do the secretarial side of things, which I will definitely do.
“As for Mark Coleman, he was unable to make the trip but a full board meeting, which will include both Mark and I, will take place later this week when we will make a full decision on how things should progress for the rest of the season.”