Ugwu 32, 56, Young 84

Dorchester Town’s third friendly against higher-ranked opposition ended in a third straight defeat last night.

Following 4-0 and 3-0 losses at the hands of Exeter City and Brighton, the Magpies went down to Npower League One Yeovil Town courtesy of Gozie Ugwu’s double and Lewis Young’s late finish.

The Blue Square Bet South hosts were by no means overawed at the Avenue Stadium, they simply lacked the necessary firepower to breach their superior visitors.

There were two changes to the county town side with Ryan Dovell and skipper Mark Jermyn returning in place of absent trialists Jamie Brown and Charlie Clough.

Full-back Kyle Critchell was involved in his first pre-season friendly, after illness kept him out of the defeats to Exeter and the Seagulls, but he was only fit enough for a spot on the bench.

Also among the substitutes was former Yeovil trainee Lewis Morgan.

The Glovers, making their second trip to the Avenue in four days following a 5-0 hammering of Plymouth at the weekend, should have been in front inside four minutes.

But after connecting with Nathan Ralph’s low centre, Young somehow failed to hit the target.

Dorchester responded to the early let-off with Ashley Nicholls’ dipping cross-cum-shot catching out former county town gloveman Gareth Stewart but dropping the wrong side of the crossbar.

Unsurprisingly, it was the full-time outfit who were creating the better openings and within a minute of Jermyn doing superbly to block Keanu Marsh-Brown’s fierce drive, Luke Ayling nodded over at the far post with the goal at his mercy.

But they eventually found the breakthrough just past the half-hour mark with Gareth Williams rolling the ball into the feet of Ugwu, who turned sharply before firing into the far corner with a little help from the upright.

The visiting forward almost grabbed a second just three minutes later but after Jason Matthews saved well from Marsh-Brown – younger brother of ex-Magpie Ronayne – the home keeper nicked the loose ball away from Ugwu just as he was preparing to pounce.

The Yeovil pressure showed no sign of relenting and Williams poked narrowly wide with Matthews closing in fast.

It took 39 minutes for the Magpies to register their first shot on target and even then Jon Vance’s effort from range was comfortable for Stewart.

Still it was the higher-ranked side who looked the more dangerous and seconds before the interval captain Jamie McAllister’s 22-yard free-kick brought another save from Matthews.

The hosts made a double substitution at the break with Morgan and Critchell entering the fray at the expense of Vance and Nick Crittenden.

Yeovil made changes of their own and it was one of their replacements who set up Ugwu for goal number two.

Rohan Ince intercepted Harrison Bell’s intended pass and burst into the home box before squaring for Ugwu to double the Somerset side’s advantage.

Another substitute, James Hayter, was then denied by Matthews before Bell was somewhat fortunate not to concede a penalty after bringing down the lively Marsh-Brown.

Young could only clip the crossbar with just Matthews to beat 15 minutes from the end, and although the latter appeared to get a vital touch to the shot, referee Dean Treleaven signalled for a goal kick.

The Glovers’ winger was not be denied and he made it 3-0 with six minutes to go, skipping into the area and slipping the ball under the advancing Matthews after Ugwu’s lay-off.

Still searching for their first goal of pre-season, the home side thought they had it with 87 minutes gone, but ex-AFC Bournemouth midfielder Elliot Ward saw his 25-yard set-piece expertly palmed away by Stewart.

Magpies: Matthews, Bell (Ward 68), Martin (Way 78), Jermyn, N Walker, Gleeson, Crittenden (Critchell 46), Nicholls, Dovell (Dovell 74), Malsom (Symes 51), Vance (Morgan 46).

Glovers: Stewart, Ayling (Brundell 74), Ralph, McAllister (Hayes-Brown 46), Webster (Hinds 46), Foley, Young (Agbo 85), Upson (Ince 46), Ugwu, Williams (Hayter 46), Marsh-Brown (Ware 74). Subs not used: Stech, Smith, Hansford.

* Tonight’s scheduled friendly at Westland Sports has been cancelled.