Bennett 69

Dorchester TOWN 2

Dovell 1, Nichols pen 83

GOALS from strike duo Ryan Dovell and Tom Nichols helped Dorchester Town rack up a half-century for the first time in six seasons.

The former continued his recent good run by netting the opening goal at Farnborough with little over 20 seconds on the clock.

And although Daniel Bennett levelled proceedings in the second half, Nichols dispatched a late penalty to secure back-to-back wins for the visitors and stretch the home side’s winless run to five Blue Square Bet South fixtures.

While delighted with the triumph, Alan Knight felt the spectacle was ruined by the match officials.

The Magpies’ boss, whose side have now collected 52 points from 37 league outings, said: “It was a good win and it was nice for the supporters that travelled but unfortunately it wasn’t the best game in the world.

“It was a difficult game made even more difficult by refereeing decisions.

“There wasn’t a bad tackle in the game but he seemed to only want to book our players. I had to bring Jamie Gleeson off in the second half because he was on a booking and I thought the ref would probably send him off.

“He was inconsistent in everything he did and he needs to look at that game.

“We all have bad games and if he is honest, which I’m sure he is, then he will hold his hand up and say he didn’t have a good game.

“It’s a shame I’m talking about the referee rather than the game but it wasn’t a great game because of the referee.”

One crucial decision did go in favour of Knight’s men with Nichols grabbing the winner from the spot.

The manager added: “For all the rough treatment Tom got all game, without getting anything, the softest challenge of the lot brought a penalty.

“We will take it though because these things even themselves out and we will have it against us at some stage.”

Following the previous week’s win against second-placed Dartford, Knight made two changes to his starting XI.

As expected, Nic Jones took the place of fellow keeper Alan Walker-Harris, who suffered a broken leg in the 1-0 victory against the Darts, while Aldershot loanee Max Worsfold was recalled at the expense of Sam Malsom, who dropped to the bench.

Also among the substitutes, there was a welcome return for Jamie Symes after illness had kept the midfielder sidelined for three weeks.

Having halted the slide of three consecutive defeats last time out, the Magpies travelled to Hampshire in high spirits.

And their restored sense of confidence paid immediate dividends as they took the lead inside the opening minute with Dovell’s third goal in as many games.

The shell-shocked hosts sought a response and began to win a number of free-kicks, which eventually brought cautions for experienced duo Jamie Gleeson and Mark Jermyn – who between them have notched 784 appearances in county town colours.

Farnborough were very much in the ascendancy but Dorchester still posed a threat at the other end and saw Dovell’s header saved by the keeper.

The Magpies remained ahead at the interval but were finally pegged back in the 69th minute as Bennett headed past Jones.

Undeterred by the setback, the visitors went back on the offensive and after Nichols’ appeals for a penalty were ignored by the man in black, the same player was brought down for a second time soon after and on this occasion the referee pointed to the spot.

The Exeter City loanee stepped up confidently and duly maintained his 100 per cent record from 12 yards.

Dovell went close to increasing the advantage as the match entered its final stages but Nichols’ ninth goal since arriving at the turn of the year was enough to secure victory for the travelling Magpies.

Magpies: Jones, Critchell, Smeeton, Jermyn, N Walker, Gleeson (Bell 63), Crittenden, Nicholls, Nichols, Dovell, Worsfold (Martin 69). Subs not used: Symes, Tennant, Malsom.

Booked: Gleeson, Jermyn, Dovell, N Walker.

Attendance: 452