FOOTBALL clubs have said their thoughts are with a woman who suffered a medical incident at a football game and had to be rushed to hospital.

The Bob Lucas Stadium in Weymouth was in shock yesterday after a derby clash with rivals Yeovil Town FC was abandoned.

The game was brought to a halt after 77 minutes when the Terras were a goal ahead, courtesy of a strike in the first half from Dan Roberts.

It was reported that a woman in the away supporter section of Yeovil fans was suffering what has been described as ‘a medical event’ sometime during the second half. 

Around 15 minutes later, an air ambulance landed inside the ground, however it soon took off again.

Crew from the South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust (SWASFT) then took the person away by a land ambulance.

It was later confirmed that a woman had been taken to Dorset County Hospital in Dorchester to receive treatment. Yeovil Town believe that the woman is in intensive care, although this has not been confirmed.

It was believed that the game could continue following the departure of the air ambulance, however at 3.42pm, the football club announced that the game had been abandoned due to a medical emergency.

In a statement from the Terras updating fans on the possibility of the fixture being replayed, they extended their thoughts to the woman receiving treatment.

The statement read: “Our thoughts remain with the individual involved, who we understand to be in hospital receiving the best possible care.”

A statement from Yeovil Town FC said: “All at the Yeovil Town Football Club send their very best wishes to the fan who required medical attention during the fixture against Weymouth.

“It is moments such as this which place fixtures into perspective. We are extremely proud of the way in which the fans and staff conducted themselves in light of the emergency.

“We would also like to express our gratitude to the Dorset & Somerset Air Ambulance who reacted so promptly in order to ensure the proper medical treatment was delivered in a timely fashion.

“Once again, the thoughts of the club are with the supporter, their friends and family who we understand remains in intensive care and is receiving the best possible treatment,” they added.

A spokesperson for Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance said: “I can confirm that Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance was tasked to an incident at Weymouth Football Club to an incident reported as an adult female suffering a medical event.

"The patient was ground escorted to Dorset County Hospital in Dorchester accompanied by the air ambulance clinical team.”

A spokesperson for the South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust (SWASFT) said: “We were called at 14:40hrs on Monday 1 April to an incident in Weymouth. We sent an air ambulance, two double-crewed land ambulances and an operations officer to the scene and conveyed one patient by land ambulance to Dorset County Hospital.”