Lee 22, Ayunga 63, Davis 84


THREE of Dorchester Town’s summer recruits found the net at the Avenue to help the hosts start their Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division season in the best possible way.

Dual-registered Eastleigh frontman Tony Lee and teenager Jonah Ayunga scored on their league debuts either side of the break, while Charlie Davis, making his second debut for the club, added a brilliant third late on.

The 30-minute delay to the kick-off caused by traffic holding up the visitors didn’t appear to be affecting Brian Page’s Stutes much in the early stages.

They created the first half-chance of the game following a misplaced pass by Davis.

Dorchester midfielder Davis could have been made to pay for some sloppy play but Sam Ives couldn’t get enough power on his strike.

Histon then went a lot closer to breaking the deadlock nine minutes in.

Salim Relizani crossed from the right and Evan Key’s close-range header, which looked to be going in, struck Matt Oldring and went behind for a corner.

The hosts were slower out of the blocks than Histon but on 22 minutes it was Lee’s turn to become an instant hit with the fans.

Found in oceans of space by Watson, Lee steadied himself before slotting the ball past Histon keeper Denzel Gerrar and scoring with the aid of an upright.

And in all honesty, Lee should have grabbed a second six minutes later.

Meeting a Davis free-kick with his head seven yards out, the unmarked centre forward guided his effort just over the bar.

A couple of over-zealous challenges from Mark Jermyn and Watson were punished by referee Ben Cobb, with the first resulting in a booking for the Magpies’ player-manager.

The Poole official then gave Histon midfielder Rogan McGeorge a talking to as his frustration at a decision which went against his side got the better of him.

No further chances were created by either side in the first period but the Magpies were happy to go into the interval a goal to the good.

And Dorchester made a bright star to the second half.

Oakley Hanger broke free down the right-hand side and floated in a cross which Watson got his head to but couldn’t direct past Gerrar.

But Histon hit back at the other end and a combination of Jermyn and keeper Alan Walker-Harris kept out an effort from Ives.

The home fans were beginning to get frustrated with some of the decisions given by the match officials, one in particular when Lee was correctly flagged offside.

That ultimately didn’t matter as a few minutes later the county town outfit were 2-0 up thanks to Ayunga.

Ayunga controlled a deep cross into the box by Lee on his chest before lashing the ball past Gerrar.

The youngster should have put the game well and truly out of Histon’s reach on 71 minutes.

A long ball from deep in Dorchester territory found Watson in acres of room on the right.

He drew in the only man back for the visitors, slipped the ball to Ayunga eight yards out, but the striker skied his shot – he was replaced by Mark Irvine soon after.

Watson, who had just gone close, was then presented with a golden opportunity to put the seal on the three points.

Irvine cut in from the left and fired a shot that was blocked by the hand of Stutes defender Key.

However, Gerrar foiled Watson as the Dorchester man’s spot-kick was saved low down.

Gerrar was doing his best to keep his side in the match and had it not been for him Neil Martin would have got the third.

But Gerrar was powerless to stop Davis from making it 3-0 with six minutes to go.

The ball dropped to the midfielder just inside the Histon area and he struck a superb shot that flew into Gerrar’s top corner.

After Davis’ goal, the Magpies’ next aim was to keep a clean sheet.

And Walker-Harris, who hadn’t really been tested all afternoon, was alert to parry Ryan Auger’s injury-time drive.

So it was three points for the Magpies at the end of a relatively comfortable afternoon for Jermyn’s men.

They should expect a tougher test on Tuesday when they head to Cirencester for their first away fixture of the campaign (7.45pm).

Magpies: Walker-Harris, Hanger, Smeeton, Jermyn, Oldring, Martin, Davis (Brookes 85), Morgan, Ayunga (Irvine 72), Watson, Lee (Crittenden 68). Subs not used: Murphy, Dillon.

Histon: Gerrar, York, White, Key, Rumens, McGeorge, Relizani (Utteridge 73), McGowan (Fulcher 81), Ives, Auger, Nicholson (Freeman 61). Subs not used: Brown, Smith

Bookings: Magpies – Jermyn (foul, 32)

Histon – None

Ref: Ben Cobb (Poole)

Attendance: 313