Baker 45+2, 55

HARRY Baker built upon his superb late winner at Salisbury with a double as Weymouth claimed a big three points at Gosport Borough with a 2-0 victory in their Evo-Stik Southern Premier South battle.

Baker’s goals carried significance as Taunton and Met Police both lost their matches against Salisbury and Wimborne respectively.

As a result, Weymouth move up to second in the table, four points behind Taunton but with three games in hand over the league leaders.

There was just the one change for Weymouth from their 4-3 win at the Whites on Saturday.

Baker was rewarded for his decisive late strike against Steve Claridge’s side with a spot in the starting team, in place of Ben Thomson who was absent from the squad entirely.

There was a familiar face among the opposition, as Charlie Davis lined up against the Terras for the first time since leaving earlier in the season.

Gosport had a couple of early chances but they were nothing to seriously trouble Weymouth goalkeeper Tom McHale.

Pressure from the home side continued and they began creating further opportunities.

Ex-Magpie David Jerrard ran onto a ball inside the box before rifling a shot that deflected away for a corner.

The ball was swung in, but the Terras’ defence were able to clear. Boro attempted to recycle but a ball forward was thwarted by the offside flag.

Weymouth tried to respond with chances of their own.

Josh Wakefield attempted to slip in Baker, but saw the ball just evade the forward and Gosport goalkeeper Patrick O’Flaherty was able to collect.

Stephane Zubar, fresh from a commanding performance against Salisbury, attempted a shot from 35 yards out, but it was well over the bar.

Weymouth began to pick up the pace late on in the half however.

Firstly, Cameron Murray flicked a great ball on towards Abdulai Baggie, who drove forward and produced a cross which was deflected into the arms of O’Flaherty.

The Terras then went on the attack through Brandon Goodship, who found Baker to chest down and fire an effort over the bar.

Weymouth again went close after 41 minutes.

A sweeping move forward found Calvin Brooks, who attempted to catch out O’Flaherty with a looping 40-yard strike which fell wide of the Gosport post.

Yet Weymouth would grab a late first-half lead and it was Baker who fired in for his second goal in two games for the Terras.

A great move forward began with Goodship playing a great ball to Wakefield, who swept a pass to Baker to fire in for the Terras.

The second half started slowly, with 54 minutes on the clock before the first real chance which saw Jordan Ngalo fire a shot just wide of O’Flaherty’s post.

It would again be Baker, who found himself in some sudden form for the Terras, who doubled the visitors’ lead.

Brooks made the goal and fired an on-target strike in that deflected off Baker, past O’Flaherty and into the Gosport net.

Gosport retaliated when Davis fired a reminder of his abilities to Weymouth, attempting a strike from range which McHale was equal to.

Gosport made two changes in the space of five minutes at this point, with former Weymouth loanee striker Matt Tubbs and George Barker coming on for ex-Dorchester midfielder Sam Lanahan and Craig McAllister as they looked to try and grab something from the game.

Gosport were able to craft chances, as evidenced by Ryan Pennery heading over the Terras’ bar in the 70th minute, but could not find a crucial touch in front of goal.

McHale was forced into another good save as Gosport again came forward, but could not find a touch to take it into the back of the net.

Callum Buckley was able to make a return from injury late on, when he replaced Baggie after 89 minutes.

However, Gosport were unable to further trouble McHale’s goal, the gloveman claiming a first clean sheet after his return to the Terras on Friday.

The win marks the first time since December that the Terras had managed back-to-back wins in the league, which moved them ever closer towards the summit of the table.

Weymouth host Basingstoke Town in league action on Saturday (3pm).

Gosport Borough: O’Flaherty, Weaire, Lafleur, Byron, Roberts, Lanahan (Tubbs 68), Jerrard, Davis, McAllister (Barker 63), Pennery, Lee.

Subs not used: Brookes, Bennett, Suraci.

Terras: McHale, Brooks, Ngalo, Wakefield, Zubar, McCarthy, Murray, Baggie (Buckley 89), Baker, Goodship (Carmichael 82), Odubade (Wells 75)

Subs not used: Martin, Molesley


t: 01305 830990

e: aidan.williams


twitter: @EchosportAidan