Brooks 30

WEYMOUTH claimed a rare away Vanarama National League win as Calvin Brooks’ first-half strike proved enough to beat Maidenhead United at York Road.

Brian Stock’s men completed a hat-trick of victories against the Magpies amid a madcap final 20 minutes which saw Seth Twumasi sent off for the hosts.

Ethan Ross proved his worth once more with a stunning 86th-minute penalty save from Danilo Orsi as Weymouth registered their first win on their travels since beating Aldershot 2-0 in January.

Before kick-off Weymouth announced the loan signing of attacking midfielder Ben Worman from Cambridge United, the new man going straight into the starting XI.

Dorset Echo: Ben Worman made his Weymouth debut Picture: MARK PROBINBen Worman made his Weymouth debut Picture: MARK PROBIN

The Terras were without defender Dom Revan (broken jaw), as injury ended his loan from Aston Villa early, while striker Andy Dallas also missed out.

In all, Weymouth made three changes to the side that began the 3-0 loss to Aldershot two weeks ago.

Pierre Fonkeu and Jordan Ngalo dropped to the bench while Andy Robinson and Ben Thomson got the nod to start.

Skipper Josh McQuoid was fit enough to make the matchday squad after an ankle problem.

Centre-back Ben Morgan also recovered in time to start following a minor knee injury sustained against Aldershot.

READ MORE: Andy Dallas extends Weymouth loan 

Weymouth had already beaten Maidenhead 3-2 in the FA Trophy and 2-1 in league action earlier in April.

And the Terras again got into their groove against the Magpies.

There was nearly a debut goal for Worman as the loanee guided Sean Shields’ cross just wide in the fifth minute.

Jake McCarthy registered the first shot on target four minutes later but could only sting the palms of Taye Ashby-Hammond.

Rohan Ince headed wide and Dan Sparkes launched a 30-yard free-kick over in response for Maidenhead, who eventually worked keeper Ross via Remy Clerima’s glanced header.

Maidenhead had now grown into the game and were unlucky not to take the lead as Orsi’s crisp low drive rattled the post with Ross beaten.

Orsi had come within inches of his sixth goal in three games but it was the Terras who took the lead on the half-hour mark.

So often the provider for Weymouth this season, Shields claimed his 11th assist when Brooks ghosted in six yards out to bury a pinpoint cross.

Dorset Echo: Calvin Brooks, centre left, scored Weymouth's winner Picture: MARK PROBINCalvin Brooks, centre left, scored Weymouth's winner Picture: MARK PROBIN

Weymouth piled on the pressure in the hunt for a second as McCarthy saw a shot blocked before the Magpies scrambled a Shields cross away.

And Brooks went desperately close to a brace when Brennan Camp’s deflected shot sprung back off the bar, only for the wing-back to direct his effort wide.

Maidenhead signalled their intent to get back into the game after half-time when Ince forced Ross into a parry in the 49th minute.

Morgan was booked for Weymouth before Magpies’ boss Alan Devonshire hooked Manny Parry and Josh Coley for Ryheem Sheckleford and Josh Kelly.

The hosts’ pressure continued when Ross had to react quickly to a dipping cross, palming it away before Weymouth cleared the resultant corner.

As tired fouls began to creep into the game, Clerima was cautioned for a late challenge on McCarthy before Jacob Mensah saw yellow – both Terras’ centre-halves now booked.

Moments before Mensah’s card, the Terras freed Camp on the right only for Maidenhead to negotiate his cross into a crowd of bodies.

Dorset Echo: Jake McCarthy, right, was denied in the first half Picture: MARK PROBINJake McCarthy, right, was denied in the first half Picture: MARK PROBIN

Terras’ boss Stock afforded McQuoid 15 minutes at the expense of Worman as Weymouth opted for fresh legs, with Jerry Wiltshire replacing Clerima for the hosts.

But with 10 minutes remaining Maidenhead’s quest to get back on level terms was rocked when Twumasi saw red, angrily reacting to a challenge from Camp.

The Weymouth right-back was booked for his part in the incident, and the loss of a teammate seemed to galvanise Maidenhead.

Wiltshire was twice involved, heading at Ross – the keeper making a good save – before being guilty of poor finishing from Sheckleford’s low driven cross.

There was further drama to come in an increasingly fractious match as Kelly was upended for a penalty with five minutes to go.

However, as he has done so often this season, Ross saved Weymouth with a magnificent low block from Orsi’s spot-kick.

Weymouth showed their improved game management in the closing stages, safely negotiating five minutes of added time as Jordan Ngalo and Cameron Murray replaced Thomson and Shields.

Victory – Weymouth’s third away win of the season – moved the Terras into 18th above Woking and Wealdstone.

Maidenhead: Ashby-Hammond, Massey, Parry (Sheckleford 64), Clerima (Wiltshire 78), Twumasi, Sparkes, Ince, Comley, Upward, Coley (Kelly 64), Orsi. Subs not used: Egan, Smith.

Terras: Ross, Camp, McCarthy, Thomson (Ngalo 90), Morgan, Robinson, Brooks, Mensah, Harfield, Worman (McQuoid 75), Shields (Murray 90+5). Subs not used: Benfield, Fonkeu.